Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Machine Shop recommendations?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Machine Shop recommendations? Reply with quote

The original engine rebuild of my '57's original engine installed last fall lasted probably less than 200 miles, very quickly could not build oil pressure unless VERY high revs and on the last run developed a knock under load at low RPM. So I shut it down, tore it down and found tons of slop in the #4 rod at the crank. Can move it laterally almost 1/4" at the piston end. And #3 rod seems to bind at one point of crank rotation.

I don't think anything hit the inside of the case. No metal particles in the sump plate.

I am looking for a shop that can minimally do the machine work, size up all of the bearings, etc. I'd ship them the case halves and rods, and the crank if it isn't obviously trashed. Better, I'd have them just build up the whole short block, would be about the same ship weight. But it cost me $1500 at Fed Ex to ship a long block to the mid west and back a couple years ago, really only because they have freight "classes" and I told them that it was an engine in the crate.

I'd love to find a shop within a decent day's drive of New England and just take it there.

Opinions, experiences? Thanks.....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine Shop recommendations? Reply with quote

BUGHAUS in Tulsa, does all the work, in these parts - Also, advertises on thesamba - Eric does the machine work - once had Old-Mike do a short block, before he expired - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine Shop recommendations? Reply with quote

Hi John! There's only one guy I would use for that, my good friend Steve Hollingsworth in PH. He's a long days drive from me in CO and more like 3 strong ones from Mass.

What we need is a pony-express of old retired guys. Probably take a week each way. Cool

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine Shop recommendations? Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Hi John! There's only one guy I would use for that, my good friend Steve Hollingsworth in PH. He's a long days drive from me in CO and more like 3 strong ones from Mass.

What we need is a pony-express of old retired guys. Probably take a week each way. Cool

Max

PH ??

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine Shop recommendations? Reply with quote

Phoenix AZ. 960 miles from my door to his.

Max
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Machine Shop recommendations? Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
But it cost me $1500 at Fed Ex to ship a long block to the mid west and back a couple years ago,

Opinions, experiences? Thanks.....

About 5 years ago I shipped a long block cross country for $250. I used a freight carrier and had to deliver it to the carrier at JFK and it had to be picked up at the carrier's LAX location.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Machine Shop recommendations? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=557411&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: