Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop-Top Protection
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wpicotte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Pop-Top Protection Reply with quote

I frequently carry a kayak on my roof rack, and have created wear spots in the fiberglass at the rear of the pop top from loading / unload. The wear spots are right on the rounded corner where the panel curves down to the rear edge.

I'm trying to come up with a protective solution. I've considered things like ClearBra or the 3M sheets, but the repeated wear of the kayak (especially with a little sand on the hull) will go right through that.

I've also considered epoxying a flexible, teflon type material (like the thin cutting boards) to that bend. I don't know if that would hold up any better.

Any ideas / thoughts / similar solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pop-Top Protection Reply with quote

figure out how to get a rear load bar back there.
maybe some load assist rollers too.
but a cross pipe with some jute rope will last a long time and remove all wear from the top..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wpicotte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pop-Top Protection Reply with quote

I could mount another crossbar, but not a top preference, as I have three installed already.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pop-Top Protection Reply with quote

Ive been looking for something myself
My Kayaks are 70lbs per
Let me know what u find
T
Rear discs
dschaftlein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-Top Protection Reply with quote

I use the Yakima boat loader for my canoe and kayaks. Works great, Much simpler to load a canoe with one person than two!

https://yakima.com/products/boatloader
wpicotte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-Top Protection Reply with quote

dschaftlein wrote:
I use the Yakima boat loader for my canoe and kayaks. Works great, Much simpler to load a canoe with one person than two!

Ah that's interesting. You have one installed in each crossbar? Do you first set the boat on the boat loaders entirely (i.e. they support the boat's weight) and into the saddles or whatever you're using?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-Top Protection Reply with quote

I used Yakima rollers on my rear bar to load kayaks. Kept it off the roof.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Maybe there's a temporary solution? Lots of products like this on line.

https://www.outdoorplay.com/racks/kayak-racks/rollers

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-Top Protection Reply with quote

wpicotte wrote:
dschaftlein wrote:

Ah that's interesting. You have one installed in each crossbar? Do you first set the boat on the boat loaders entirely (i.e. they support the boat's weight) and into the saddles or whatever you're using?

I use that too, but just on the front crossbar. Put the bow up there, swing the rear of the kayak up on the crossbars, wiggle into place, and strap down. Put a safety strap (very short) right to a tie-down strap on the luggage rack. Easy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wpicotte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-Top Protection Reply with quote

fishgo wrote:
wpicotte wrote:
dschaftlein wrote:

I use that too, but just on the front crossbar. Put the bow up there, swing the rear of the kayak up on the crossbars, wiggle into place, and strap down. Put a safety strap (very short) right to a tie-down strap on the luggage rack. Easy.

Yep - read a couple reviews from people who recognized the need for only one of these after the fact, mounting a boat exactly as you have described. Mine arrives Friday. Thanks for the idea.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-Top Protection Reply with quote

Your rear bar needs to be farther back.
I have the same problem with ladders on my Tintop with my rack.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Pop-Top Protection Reply with quote

wpicotte wrote:

Yep - read a couple reviews from people who recognized the need for only one of these after the fact, mounting a boat exactly as you have described. Mine arrives Friday. Thanks for the idea.

You'll love it. I've been using one ever since I first bought my van and it's made it so my canoe loads onto the van more easily than any of my other vehicles.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Pop-Top Protection Reply with quote

wpicotte wrote:
I frequently carry a kayak on my roof rack, and have created wear spots in the fiberglass at the rear of the pop top from loading / unload. The wear spots are right on the rounded corner where the panel curves down to the rear edge.
I'm trying to come up with a protective solution. I've considered things like ClearBra or the 3M sheets, but the repeated wear of the kayak (especially with a little sand on the hull) will go right through that.
I've also considered epoxying a flexible, teflon type material (like the thin cutting boards) to that bend. I don't know if that would hold up any better.
Any ideas / thoughts / similar solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

This is what we use to load two canoes onto our Westy; the Thule "WaterSlide"
Simple and easy to use. We have light weight kevlar boats and the pad also protects them while loading.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Thule/TH854.html
https://www.rackwarehouse.com/thule-854-water-slide-vehicle-protecting-kayak-mat.html
It rolls up into a small bundle. Works great!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: