Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reserve Fuel Tap Install
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
id'r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reserve Fuel Tap Install Reply with quote

I'm installing a WW reserve tap in my '65 with belly pans. I've got the cable successfully routed to the tap. I have a few issues:

1) The WW reserve tap takes a fair amount of force to move the lever arm. I haven't yet taken it apart to lube it, as I suspect they install these with dry parts. There's no chance a cable will be able to push it (pull it, yes). I'm wondering if I'm going to end up needing a return spring to assist the cable pushing the lever.

2) I'm wondering if anyone has a rough design or template of a bracket that I could follow, or dimensions of the OE bracket. I can figure this out with some trial and error, but never hurts to ask if this has been documented in some manner. I have a few pics, but no scale reference.

If I lose motivation to get this cable operational, I guess I'll have a good way of changing out filters and fuel lines. But the appeal is certainly to be able to kill the fuel supply in the event of a fire.

Reference thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699902&highlight=65+barn+find
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve Fuel Tap Install Reply with quote

The lever gives a fair amount of, well, leverage when actuating the tap. I would install it and see how it works. The problem is not pulling the lever out, it is pushing it back in that is sometimes tough on old original taps. I rebuild originals for my buses and have never had issues with them after that.

I can get some measurements of the bracket for the cable tomorrow when I am next to an early bus at my shop. The one shown in the reference topic is a truck one, which is different from a bus bracket. The bracket is welded on to the panel just below the fuel tank. I would recommend removing the tank before welding right next to it.

If you are running a self supporting starter, you need to be extra careful on your installation of the tap so that it doesn't make contact with the positive terminal on the starter.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve Fuel Tap Install Reply with quote

It was kind of hard to get photos under the bus, so I grabbed a few photos of a bracket I cut off of a parts bus years ago. Hopefully this helps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
id'r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve Fuel Tap Install Reply with quote

Very belated thank you, Lind! This helps a ton!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699902&highlight=65+barn+find
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: