Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window trim question
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orangedc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Window trim question Reply with quote

Hey guys, hoping someone can answer this question for me.
I’m doing a restore on my 62 Ghia. When I got the car it had cal look rubber. When I put the windows back in I want to have window trim (American style) . From what I understand my 62 should use the c groove trim, which apparently nobody sells new. My question is can I use rubber for a 67 and use the t groove trim that is available new...'""."”¿ thanks
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Window trim question Reply with quote

I'm afraid not ,the windshield of a 67 is different.
Struggled with the same problem.I have a 63, impossible to make it fit.
Here in Europe the rubber with the opening for the c trim that fits a 62 ghia is still available at Paruzzi , in case you really can't find anything in the States.
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Window trim question Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755924&highlight=
Orangedc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Window trim question Reply with quote

Thanks for reply... let me rephrase my question ... can I get 66 up rubber, 66 and up t trim and install onto my 62?
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Window trim question Reply with quote

No ,once again these rubbers are too small.
The 63 windshield is a bit larger than the 66 windshield.
If you want to use a 66 rubber you'll need a later windshield too.
Hope this is clear .
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Window trim question Reply with quote

If you want to use the late T-trim trim, then you need a late windshield. The windshield size is different for the different trims.

If you haven't measured the height of your windshield, then you should since your car had cal look seals. Cal look seals can be used with any windshield, so there's no telling if you still have your original early windshield or not.

There's plenty of C-trim available in the classifieds here. I bought a really nice front and rear set for myself last year.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Window trim question Reply with quote

There is a tool to install that trim and really tough to do without it It looks like a miniature plow blade with a hole it mounted on a screw driver shaft so the plow goes around the groove and the trim feeds in through the hole.
Orangedc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Window trim question Reply with quote

Ok, I get it now.... thanks for the info.
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Window trim question Reply with quote

picture of tool?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Window trim question Reply with quote

ELFRIED wrote:
picture of tool?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Local auto glass shop might loan you one as it is also used for locking rubber channel windshield rubber.
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Window trim question Reply with quote

thank you , so the trim goes in that hole ? or is this to get the electrical wire in the grove?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Window trim question Reply with quote

ELFRIED wrote:
thank you , so the trim goes in that hole ? or is this to get the electrical wire in the grove?

You start the tool in the trim groove and the trim feeds in from the point end of the tool through the hole in tool into the widened groove and as you push it around the groove the rubber locks the trim in. Use some lube like Glycerin that is water soluble.
ELFRIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Window trim question Reply with quote

ok, interesting
gonna try to make something similar
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Window trim question Reply with quote

ELFRIED wrote:
ok, interesting
gonna try to make something similar

Check your local glass shops and show them that tool picture they probably have one in their tool box.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Window trim question Reply with quote

This article might be useful...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/ghia_...nstall.pdf

You can find it under the stickies.. "The Best How to.." which is always a great place to read and learn.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: