Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn Signal Issue 66 (Resolved)
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Turn Signal Issue 66 (Resolved) Reply with quote

Back right taillight wasn’t working, replaced the bulb no luck. Cleaned the connections and there was light. The issue is the tail light doesn’t flash when I put on the turn signal. The front signal does flash. Any ideas what would cause the back right taillight to remain on but not flash? Bus has been converted to 12V

- Tim

Last edited by timjames722 on Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Issue 66 Reply with quote

The "Search" function of this site works really well. I've used it extensively.

Maybe a ground issue.
Maybe the bulb is in backwards.
Maybe a break in the wiring.
Maybe an issue in your turn signal switch.
Maybe an issue with your hazard light switch.
Maybe an issue with your 9 pin relay box.

Start with the FAQ's of this forum. Here's a start from the FAQ's at the top of this forum which reads: "Split Bus FAQ and How Tos - *Read before posting*"

http://www.type2.com/library/electris/vw-9prong.html
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Issue 66 Reply with quote

Will do, thanks man. I’ll remove this post
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Issue 66 Reply with quote

timjames722 wrote:
Will do, thanks man. I’ll remove this post

Well, I wouldn't go that far to remove the post. Smile

66 is an odd bird. The flashing knob of the hazard lights sets it apart from the rest. And there is an addendum to the wiring harness just for that year. You'll find those wiring harness diagrams under the "Technical" tab of the forum.

Good Luck from another 66 owner!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Issue 66 Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
The "Search" function of this site works really well. I've used it extensively.

Maybe a ground issue.
Maybe the bulb is in backwards.
Maybe a break in the wiring.
Maybe an issue in your turn signal switch.
Maybe an issue with your hazard light switch.
Maybe an issue with your 9 pin relay box.

Yep, I'd start w/ all of the above ^^^^^^^

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bus_66_USA_turnsignals.jpg

The diagram in the tech section REALLY help me w/ my '66 That ^^
one in particular is very helpful, it gives you just the blinker system.
It also helps to have a spare 9 pin to try out, in case yours has a issue.
My biggest problem was a wire in the turn signal switch on the column, a wire had come loose, but was hard to spot it, it just needed to be soldered.
I printed that diagram and brought it out to the garage, it did help.
Wiring can drive you CRAZY !! Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
barfsurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Issue 66 Reply with quote

I've got a '66 as well, and have had many turn signal woes. If you haven't found this article already, bookmark it:

Great overview of how the 9-way and the turn signal work together, how to troubleshoot if it's either one of those bits or something in the wiring.

For me, it's almost always turned out to be something in the wiring - funky connector, poor ground, that kind of thing. Contacts in the right rear taillight caused me fits the last time I had everything apart, and most recently found a dodgy connector on the "49a" wire that goes to the 9-way. Replacing that female spade connector did the trick.
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Issue 66 Reply with quote

barfsurfer wrote:
I've got a '66 as well, and have had many turn signal woes. If you haven't found this article already, bookmark it:

Great overview of how the 9-way and the turn signal work together, how to troubleshoot if it's either one of those bits or something in the wiring.

For me, it's almost always turned out to be something in the wiring - funky connector, poor ground, that kind of thing. Contacts in the right rear taillight caused me fits the last time I had everything apart, and most recently found a dodgy connector on the "49a" wire that goes to the 9-way. Replacing that female spade connector did the trick.

Bookmarking now. I got the turn signal to work but when I put on my lights it would go solid… I’d tap my hand on the wires and the blink returned. Eventually playing around with the connections I broke the male ends from the socket. New bulb holder in the mail from WW. Hoping it was loose and dirty connections causing it. Will update..
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn Signal Issue 66 Reply with quote

Turns out all I needed was a new WW bulb housing. Installed the new one which is nice, instead of the connections out the back of the socket, they have 6 inch wires connections. Wired it up and works great! Cool

What's the point in callin shots? This cue ain't straight in line.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: