Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

E25652 Engine Number - what type of engine is this?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuaneVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: E25652 Engine Number - what type of engine is this? Reply with quote

I have an engine that has the number E25652 as its identifier, what type of engine is this and what does the E represent? Here is a photo of the number and there also is a "W 5C" showing below it as well?

Here are more photos showing the engine itself, I hope they help in identifying what engine this is and why the number starts with a letter “E”?
Thank you,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by DuaneVW on Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: E25652 Engine Number - what type of engine is this? Reply with quote

How about a picture of the whole engine as well. Something doesn’t look right to me.

In fact the more I look at it the less it looks like any air cooled VW I have seen.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: E25652 Engine Number - what type of engine is this? Reply with quote

It looks like the original number was ground off. If the number is the original number it would be for a 1956 industrial engine, not sure what the "E" is for (exchange?). The only other 5 digit number I'm aware of that was stamped on that type of case would be the early Porsche engines. The Porsche numbers had the prefix "P" though, and asterisks if i remember correctly. The number could also have nothing to do with VW at all. The W5 and other miscellaneous stamps are factory inspection marks. More pics would help with identification. Any idea what it was running in last?

Last edited by FarmerBill on Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: E25652 Engine Number - what type of engine is this? Reply with quote

Looks like early 1200cc, 36 horse block... Don't think VW ever produced a "E" series engine... But they did produce a "E0" series around "67" to "70"...

Probably a reman engine number...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
DuaneVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: E25652 Engine Number - what type of engine is this? Reply with quote

I have added in more photos showing all angles of the engine. I believe it is a 36hp engine but I cannot figure out how to look up the specifics on the engine (when it was made)?

See the original post up top to see the other photos added.

Thanks!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: E25652 Engine Number - what type of engine is this? Reply with quote

It's a 36hp engine. looks really complete. But with the engine numbers ground off and restamped, you might not know what it originally was. Maybe go all CSI with some acid and see if you can bring the original numbers out aka recovering filed off numbers from a murder scene gun. Looks ez enough on CSI Miami..

You could post the numbers on the carb and distributor to get a date range. If you look REAL CLOSE at the distributor bell, there MIGHT be a date stamp on there.. Your looking for a two digit stamping.

Now, this is only relevant if the parts were not swapped at some point.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: E25652 Engine Number - what type of engine is this? Reply with quote

If you look in the valley on the left side of the generator pedestal you may find a series of numbers cast into the case. If I remember correctly the first number is the day of the month, the second is the month (Jan=1, Feb=2, and so on), the third is the shift/year a1,2, or 3 for the shift and the last number for the year( 1955=5,1956=6 1957=7 and so on). There is another set of numbers below the distributor on the left half of the case. They probably won't match the numbers on the right half of the case but that's normal. Case halves were cast weeks apart sometimes and machined together later.

So a case cast on October 15th 1956, 2nd shift would read 15 10 26. I think. If I'm wrong someone will correct me.

Last edited by FarmerBill on Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: E25652 Engine Number - what type of engine is this? Reply with quote

Without a doubt you have a restamped indicating it's been rebuilt from someone other than the VW factory. No 36 hp engines had letters in their number- all numbers.

Your coil was manufactured in January of 1968 after 12v became standard so it is a 6v service replacement

Your distributor is most certainly a VJU 4 BR 8 from sometime between 1956-1960. It may hold a clue to the engines originality as above.

The fuel pump is an aftermarket replacement.

It came out of a beetle or perhaps a Ghia based upon the muffler and air filter.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: E25652 Engine Number - what type of engine is this? Reply with quote

The air cleaner looks like a 58-60 type 1.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: E25652 Engine Number - what type of engine is this? Reply with quote

Engine case production date thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=380362

You can look up the year of the case there.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: