Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 SB starterpack
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Nahhhserio wrote:
My heads leak fuel. Not good and whats up with the crusty one , what could have caused that or does it look like a crappy rebuild?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The "crusty" looking one appears to have carbon build up on it.A wire brush on a drill should take care of that. As for fuel leaking past the valve seat, you might try some lapping compound and a manual valve lapping tool.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
jonnyjungle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Wow, nice stuff! your oil cooler, did you manage to clean it, and how so?

1971 VW type 3 fastback
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

jonnyjungle wrote:
Wow, nice stuff! your oil cooler, did you manage to clean it, and how so?

The best i could do is this. I used a chemical at work called Lift RT. Cleaned the inside really good. Bucket was full of oil and gunk.

No I'm going to clean the carbs. I'm almost leaning into buying a type 4 engine and slapping it in this. But first i want to rebuild this successfully. I wish it was a stock engine though.
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Nahhhserio wrote:
My heads leak fuel. Not good and whats up with the crusty one , what could have caused that or does it look like a

The "crusty" looking one appears to have carbon build up on it.A wire brush on a drill should take care of that. As for fuel leaking past the valve seat, you might try some lapping compound and a manual valve lapping tool.
I hope this helps.

The crust is deformed metal. Even the piston got indented with the pattern of the head. Also the top piston rings are worn down and welded to the piston. Shocked

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Nahhhserio wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Nahhhserio wrote:
My heads leak fuel. Not good and whats up with the crusty one , what could have caused that or does it look like a

I hope this helps.

The crust is deformed metal. Even the piston got indented with the pattern of the head. Also the top piston rings are worn down and welded to the piston. Shocked

Looks like that cylinder ingested a screw (or had 1 fall into the intake tract) that bounced around for a while.
I'd look for another head, as that one will cost a lot to clean up to make it usable. I'd probably look for a set of pistons and cylinders and replace what you have.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

That’s pretty bad Shocked I can’t believe it still ran. Good luck going forward!
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
That’s pretty bad Shocked I can’t believe it still ran. Good luck going forward!

Thanks! Honestly it ran pretty good. Except the overheating Ha! It didn't even idle bad.

Pretty much the only good part of the engine seem to be the accessories and the case. Can't wait till i open the case and see what the cam looks like.
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Nahhhserio wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Nahhhserio wrote:

I hope this helps.

[/img][/url]

Looks like that cylinder ingested a screw (or had 1 fall into the intake tract) that bounced around for a while.
I'd look for another head, as that one will cost a lot to clean up to make it usable. I'd probably look for a set of pistons and cylinders and replace what you have.

Yes. I'm thinking of buying the same set the are now. Which are 92mm Mahle. "92p17" it says inside the piston unless there is better pistons. As for the heads im going to have them machined to fit the cylinders right?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Yup.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Basically have it all stripped down.

So i took the fan off the poormans way and this happened....

20210913_124018
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

I normally use a cheap steering wheel puller, or a harmonic balancer removal tool. I think I paid 10 bucks for the last one I bought.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
I normally use a cheap steering wheel puller, or a harmonic balancer removal tool. I think I paid 10 bucks for the last one I bought.

D'oh!
Went by what the tom wilson book said.

The inside of the engine looks good just from looking without splitting it.
The rods seem to be standard rods used in a 1600 "311b"
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Nahhhserio wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

D'oh!
Went by what the tom wilson book said.

The inside of the engine looks good just from looking without splitting it.
The rods seem to be standard rods used in a 1600 "311b"

It does look fairly clean inside. I expected to see more oil splashed, but it doesn't make a difference.
Yup, right now might be the time to slide a feeler gauge between the rod and the crank throw and see how much side clearance you have. Then see if it's in spec (brown Bentley).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

So i finally had time to take the short block to my local vw shop. Mechanic said everything look solid except for the main seal. End play, bearings all in good shape as well as the crank and cam.

He did recommend to add an external oil cooler and cooling fan.

I feel like getting a type IV engine in the squareback instead of another t3 but that is a whole other project and more money.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Nahhhserio wrote:

I feel like getting a type IV engine in the squareback instead of another t3 but that is a whole other project and more money.

The big issue with putting a type 4 engine into a type 3 is the cooling boot. Trying to find NLA parts makes things even harder (not impossible, just harder), as some of the bits are having some work arounds being done. Also having short intake manifolds that allow the carbs to fit under the load floor is another issue. That one can be solved by cutting and welding though.
Just a couple of things to think about.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Nahhhserio wrote:

The big issue with putting a type 4 engine into a type 3 is the cooling boot. Trying to find NLA parts makes things even harder (not impossible, just harder), as some of the bits are having some work arounds being done. Also having short intake manifolds that allow the carbs to fit under the load floor is another issue. That one can be solved by cutting and welding though.
Just a couple of things to think about.

I would probably pay to have someone knowledgeable install it the first time and go from there. But that's way in the future..
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

I got some autolinea 03 heads on the cheap. New. Looks like im going to have to carve out some of the metal for cooling. They have bigger valves. Hopefully they last.

And plain ol AA regular pistons and cylinders. My pushrods look good. Going to roll them on a glass table to check. Istill need to pick out a new muffler which is another hard choice for me. No heater boxes.
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

There is fluid around the the TO, is it supposed to be dry? It also wobbles a bit and when i spin the bearing it has good amount of resistance, which is good i think. and i scratched the bell housing with the engine..... also seems to have a big ol crack around the center

There seems to be fluid under the front of the tranny but it's not leaking...more like it got on it. There was fluid on the mount of as well.

Still waiting on some minor parts here to put the SB together.
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Carbs were dirty but the 3/4 side carb was full of dirt and looked really dry. The emulsion tube is stuck in there as well. Pulled out with plastic tweezer looking tool from work. Bought two rebuild kits for for both carbs.

I was cleaning up the heads and noticed that the intake valve is leaking on this head. Have to get it lapped i guess. Embarassed
Nahhhserio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 71 SB starterpack Reply with quote

Any chance of finding a non expensive replacement for this mount?

Also the transmission is leaking from here, reverse light switch right?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: