Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spring Compressor for Push Rod Tubes. Is There Such a Thing?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Spring Compressor for Push Rod Tubes. Is There Such a Thing? Reply with quote

Is there such a tool as a spring compressor for push rod tubes?

It would certainly make removing and installing them easier.

I have a set of Bugpack or Empi tubes on my spare engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Compressor for Push Rod Tubes. Is There Such a Thing? Reply with quote

long zip ite
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Compressor for Push Rod Tubes. Is There Such a Thing? Reply with quote

Maybe something like this, but for a aftermarket VW push rod tube.

https://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?id=CST173&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
dogmeat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Compressor for Push Rod Tubes. Is There Such a Thing? Reply with quote

ha ha... yeah, what he said^^^

we've had them in aviation forever. a clever guy could make something like that. I've given it some thought...

anyway, before I bough the real (aircraft) tool I used to use safety wire. put the spring in a vice & compress it, tie it closed with a couple pieces of .032 wire. install it and clip the wire
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Compressor for Push Rod Tubes. Is There Such a Thing? Reply with quote

What you need is something to hold the tube so you can move it down by hand. Not a spring compressor. The spring is so short not much to squeeze.

a vise-grip tool modified to clamp the tube w/o squashing it will be a nice tool. Push down on the tube and install the tube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Compressor for Push Rod Tubes. Is There Such a Thing? Reply with quote

I wrapped some tape around the curved jaws of a pair of vice grips. Adjusted the pliers to where they just wouldn't slip and pushed down hard and tilted the tube out of the way. I was able to removed some CB anodized tubes without scratching them or removing the head to fix my boo-boo

I forgot to put in the heat deflector between the jugs on one side and took out two tubes and reinstalled them the same way Embarassed

missing tin...

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Spring Compressor for Push Rod Tubes. Is There Such a Thing? Reply with quote

If you absolutely must use that type of tubes:
https://youtu.be/1PI6_EpoG-4?list=TLGGblB4i50b3D8xNTEwMjAyMQ
https://www.csp-shop.com/en/engine/push-rod-tubes-csp-109-337-111mt-26686a.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: