Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Owner of a SO42, first bus!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buspilot67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Yes. SO-42 Westfalias were made out of kombis, and kombis had gray caps, black levers on the vent windows, a few other things.
No heat-pressed seams on the front seat covers either...smooth but otherwise the same. I like the seams so I ordered those kind anyway.

I think they were delivered to the US without hubcaps and were a dealer installed item. So either would be correct.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
timjames722 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I stopped by a friend's house today and noticed his Fabrik # is very close to yours Laughing

What is the Export Code on your Westy?

I guess!
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Seriously?

I guess it is a small world after all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
timjames722 wrote:

I stopped by a friend's house today and noticed his Fabrik # is very close to yours Laughing

What is the Export Code on your Westy?

That is wild!! I have to order the birth certificate for my bus. The m plate is incorrect it was swapped at some point. Ordering soon and getting the correct one made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Couple pics of the interior. Going in for inspection Monday, I think it needs a good tune up. Running pretty rough, stalling on idle and bogging down when I accelerate sometimes. Probably gonna have carb rebuilt as it was sitting for a little bit.

What's the point in callin shots? This cue ain't straight in line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

timjames722 wrote:
Running pretty rough, stalling on idle and bogging down when I accelerate sometimes.

If it has a stock carburetor then those symptoms match up with a plugged pilot jet first. Accelerator pump next. Pilot is easy and can be removed and cleaned without removing the carb. Accelerator pump you can just look down the carb with the engine not running.
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
timjames722 wrote:
Running pretty rough, stalling on idle and bogging down when I accelerate sometimes.

If it has a stock carburetor then those symptoms match up with a plugged pilot jet first. Accelerator pump next. Pilot is easy and can be removed and cleaned without removing the carb. Accelerator pump you can just look down the carb with the engine not running.

Thanks! Going to clean the pilot jet tomorrow and report back. As for looking down the carb, do you guys use a mirror? I can’t get my head in a position to look down Laughing

timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
timjames722 wrote:

Running a Pict34-3/1600DP

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Mirror is fine. Just look for squirting gas from the accelerator pump tube. 34 PICT I don't know.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

That's a really nice bus.

If it were new to me, with little known history, and having issues with it running such as you are, in the very least I'd suggest draining the fuel tank and then removing the fitting in the bottom of the tank and check/clean/replace the filter sock on the fitting that resides inside the tank.

Doing this will let you know how good the bottom of your fuel tank is. The outlet is right above the starter. IF the threaded collar comes loose and you can get the sock out and replace it and tighten the collar of the assembly without the threaded fitting on the bottom of the tank twisting off from the bottom of the tank because that's where water would have stood in a fuel tank of a vehicle that is now going on 57 years old and that's where the tank is really going to rust out.... then you'll have some piece of mind as to the integrity of your fuel tank.

I replaced the tank in my 66 because of this very problem. The tank looked great once out of the bus, I was going to clean it out and then once with a wrench on the collar of the outlet fitting the entire fitting twisted out of the bottom of the tank. A new WW fuel tank was in my opinion reasonably priced and I considered it cheap insurance from certain FIRE that would destroy my bus.

Good Luck and enjoy your new bus!
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

If you're messing around under the fuel tank, please disconnect your battery first. Fuel running out there just needs a spark, and the terminals on the starter are hot and unprotected. An errant contact by a wrench or screwdriver and you will be trapped under a vehicle in a puddle of fuel.
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the responses and help. It starts up fine, I played around with running the carb and cleaning the pilot jet. It fires up in less than a second after one pump. Good start. Idle as I listen more sounds like I’ve got a tight valve or the timing is off. Sounds like “bum, bum, bum” Going to an air cooled mechanic on Monday, see what he thinks. I think it can generally use a good tune up.

For what it’s worth - do you guys recommend premium gas?

Thanks again, always great input from the group.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Yes to recommending premium grade fuel. Save time and money and order your nice Campmobile a fully reconditioned/rebuilt/adjusted German "correct" 30PICT-1 carburetor from Samba.com vendor "Volkzbitz", you won't regret it!

see here: https://www.volkzbitz.com/home.html

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Yes to recommending premium grade fuel. Save time and money and order your nice Campmobile a fully reconditioned/rebuilt/adjusted German "correct" 30PICT-1 carburetor from Samba.com vendor "Volkzbitz", you won't regret it!

Bill Bowman

Thanks! And this carb will run good with a 1600 and 009?

timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Just received my birth certificate. Pretty cool to see it came with all the camping equipment! Wish I still had it. Original state was Washington, now it resides in Philly.

von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

timjames722 wrote:
Original state was Washington, now it resides in Philly.

Does the destination on the birth certificate say Seattle or Washington as in DC?

I assume DC because the Westy that I posted the fabrik number above that is one number off from yours has a destination code of UW which is DC.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

timjames722 wrote:
BulliBill wrote:

Bill Bowman

Yes, the 30PICT-1 carb that Volkzbitz rebuilds/restores will run a 1600cc engine beautifully, but the 009 distributor currently on your engine was not original to a 1500 or 1600 engine in a Split-Bus. Your 009 is a centrifugal advance distributor, and your engine ideally needs a correct "vacuum advance" distributor. The correct 30PICT-1 carburetor (and even your 34PICT-3 carb) has a port on it that delivers a vacuum signal thru a smallish tube to a the advance cannister on a correct vacuum advance distributor to smoothly control the ever-changing ignition advance inside the distributor. Your 34PICT-3 carb should at least have it's vacuum port "plugged off" if used with a 009 distributor, and even that may not fix your idling issues.

If I were you I would save and cough up (I've done this myself) the funds to get a properly rebuilt/restored 30PICT-1 carb (probably the "later" version with the return spring and power circuit) from Tim at Volkzbitz.com (DEFINITLY opt for the barbed fuel input tube and having the carb throttle shaft "rebushed"), and then order a properly rebuilt/restored vacuum advance distributor from Bill at sparxwerks.com and you should be in business for decades... Good guys, good services.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
timjames722 wrote:
Original state was Washington, now it resides in Philly.

Does the destination on the birth certificate say Seattle or Washington as in DC?

I assume DC because the Westy that I posted the fabrik number above that is one number off from yours has a destination code of UW which is DC.

Unfortunately it doesn’t have the destination code, just Washington.

timjames722
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
timjames722 wrote:
BulliBill wrote:

Bill Bowman

Yes, the 30PICT-1 carb that Volkzbitz rebuilds/restores will run a 1600cc engine beautifully, but the 009 distributor currently on your engine was not original to a 1500 or 1600 engine in a Split-Bus. Your 009 is a centrifugal advance distributor, and your engine ideally needs a correct "vacuum advance" distributor. The correct 30PICT-1 carburetor (and even your 34PICT-3 carb) has a port on it that delivers a vacuum signal thru a smallish tube to a the advance cannister on a correct vacuum advance distributor to smoothly control the ever-changing ignition advance inside the distributor. Your 34PICT-3 carb should at least have it's vacuum port "plugged off" if used with a 009 distributor, and even that may not fix your idling issues.

If I were you I would save and cough up (I've done this myself) the funds to get a properly rebuilt/restored 30PICT-1 carb (probably the "later" version with the return spring and power circuit) from Tim at Volkzbitz.com (DEFINITLY opt for the barbed fuel input tube and having the carb throttle shaft "rebushed"), and then order a properly rebuilt/restored vacuum advance distributor from Bill at sparxwerks.com and you should be in business for decades... Good guys, good services.

Bill Bowman

Hi Bill, thanks for the great advice as always. I have been in touch with Bill and Tim. Tim did recommend keeping the 34-3 with my 1600DP. Bill like you said recommended the 034 with my 1600 and bocar34-3. Probably going to tackle this over the winter and get it ready for spring. Salt will probably be on the roads soon where I am.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner of a SO42, first bus! Reply with quote

Aha! I didn't realize that you engine was a dual port. Those guys are the "masters" at at fuel and ignition systems restorations. Take their advice, and enjoy that old Campmobile. I have a '67 Campmobile (1600 single-port) and although we don't get much snow/salt in the St. Louis region, I'll be tucking my Camper away for a few months also soon. As long as there hasn't been any salt thrown out there, I'll drive 'em all year round... my heaters work fine.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: