Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight Switch, 2021
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Headlight Switch, 2021 Reply with quote

The Bus headlight switch I have been using on my Thing for the last 10+/- years seems like it might be ready to die. Just wondered what the present wisdom is saying to use.
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Switch, 2021 Reply with quote

I don’t have any knowledge to add. Just curious how you think it’s going to fail soon?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Switch, 2021 Reply with quote

scwright99 wrote:
I don’t have any knowledge to add. Just curious how you think it’s going to fail soon?

It is getting touchy about staying on. The knob doesn't pull out quite all the way unless you give it a little twist or shake, otherwise the headlights may blink off and on from going over bumps and just from road vibrations. It didn't seem to be a very good switch to start with, being pretty stiff to operate from the get go. Sad
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight Switch, 2021 Reply with quote

You are going to have better luck with an answer on a different forum as Vanagons don't use this switch and we don't know much about them.

But why not just buy a new one? https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/311941531A
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight Switch, 2021 Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
You are going to have better luck with an answer on a different forum as Vanagons don't use this switch and we don't know much about them.

But why not just buy a new one? https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/311941531A

Thanks, I had missed that this had ended up on the Vanagon forum, that had not been my intention. See if I can get the moderators to move it.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight Switch, 2021 Reply with quote

I any case you should consider the headlight relay mod. I had my switch start smoking and it burned up one hot night leaving me without headlights. Then I put the relay in and discovered the headlights are brighter because the relay bypasses the minimally effective switch. Plus your switch will never wear out.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight Switch, 2021 Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
I any case you should consider the headlight relay mod. I had my switch start smoking and it burned up one hot night leaving me without headlights. Then I put the relay in and discovered the headlights are brighter because the relay bypasses the minimally effective switch. Plus your switch will never wear out.

Favor? Searched for "headlight relay mod" and did not see any results.

Mind posting link to it?
THANKS!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Switch, 2021 Reply with quote

TK, T3 and GoWesty and a dozen others sell them. Tell Mr. Google you are interested in "Headlight relay kit" Any will work. They are not make specific. But you can also just do it yourself with a couple of 40 amp relays. The wiring is really simple. You run a heavier wire to the feed side of the relays and use the headlight wires to trigger them.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight Switch, 2021 Reply with quote

All of the usual suspects that sell Thing parts carry replacements. Why not just buy a new one from TTS or a used one from Thingparts?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight Switch, 2021 Reply with quote

"Headlight relay kits"
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight Switch, 2021 Reply with quote

wbailey2112 wrote:
All of the usual suspects that sell Thing parts carry replacements. Why not just buy a new one from TTS or a used one from Thingparts?

They sell the same part number "Bus" switch that I have had problems with and it appears that there are actually at least three different versions of the Bus switch being sold by various vendors: 6, 7, & 8 pin ones. Other vendors list for the Thing one of several different version of the Type 1/Type 3 switch, instead of the Bus switch, hence the reason I am asking for others knowledge here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: