Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

L82 Silver white
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: L82 Silver white Reply with quote

For what it's worth, and it isn't much as it hasn't been tested yet:

Sherwin Williams Automotive has Silver White in their system. Listed as a VW color. Half pint up to gallon size, not sure if they do aerosol.

With that being said, it hasn't been tested yet. I spoke to the rep and they said for "many many years" their reps would have color swatches when vehicles were delivered at port. This is the same way they do it nowadays.

Don't know if they were doing this that far back, but it is listed as a VW color with the correct VW color code (L82).

They also have Turkis and Dove Blue in their system. I'm sure they have other colors.

I picked up half a pint of Dove Blue and the color is very much dove blue, which is a pretty difficult shade of blue to match.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: L82 Silver white Reply with quote

Patiently Impatient wrote:
For what it's worth, and it isn't much as it hasn't been tested yet:

Sherwin Williams Automotive has Silver White in their system. Listed as a VW color. Half pint up to gallon size, not sure if they do aerosol.

With that being said, it hasn't been tested yet. I spoke to the rep and they said for "many many years" their reps would have color swatches when vehicles were delivered at port. This is the same way they do it nowadays.

Don't know if they were doing this that far back, but it is listed as a VW color with the correct VW color code (L82).

They also have Turkis and Dove Blue in their system. I'm sure they have other colors.

I picked up half a pint of Dove Blue and the color is very much dove blue, which is a pretty difficult shade of blue to match.

I got a quart of Turkis, and it matches an NOS part I had. Another happy (albeit surprised) customer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: L82 Silver white Reply with quote

von_hansel wrote:
On the hunt for Silver White and would like some feedback.

Turns out Concept PPG is non compliant in California so getting PPG 8251 is a no go. I used a friend's NOS quart can and had it paint matched at a local shop. They told me that VW Silver White is the same as Toyota 033. I am not sure how accurate that is.

Here is a crows feet rim painted in the paint I had mixed up. I wanted to hear your thoughts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On the left is a spray out of WW Silver White in a spray paint can next to what I had mixed for comparison. I know WW has a green tint to it compared to what others have had mixed up

Did you use the Toyota paint. My 56 Ghia rims use this color and I am at the stage to paint them. Thanks
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: L82 Silver white Reply with quote

JeffL wrote:
Did you use the Toyota paint. My 56 Ghia rims use this color and I am at the stage to paint them. Thanks

No, it was too warm/ yellow. I bought a gallon of Silver White off of Billy at Smitty's Auto Paint in Hemet. You can look through my gallery and see my bumpers to see how the paint from Smitty's came out.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: L82 Silver white Reply with quote

I was in my local NAPA store today and noticed their paint mixing operation. Asked the young fellow if he could mix a couple old VW colors, L87 and L82. Looked it up said no problem. Minimum was 4 oz. he would put in an aerosol can for about $17.

I'm looking to shoot just the outer faces of my 4 wheels. Wondering if one aerosol can would do the job (they're already in scuffed epoxy primer) or just get a pint in a can and go with a Preval sprayer.

What you guys think?

Thanks,
BTR
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: L-82 Reply with quote

bugcollections wrote:
Just a plug for the PPG L-82. Have painted several wheels, emblems, and bumpers with the PPG Silver White single stage Concept. Looks great, good color match and is a super easy paint to work with. And just a comment: Doesn't anyone paint the wheels black all over then paint the outside white? Isn't that the way the factory did it? Blast em, primer em, paint em black all over, then shoot the silver white on the outside of the wheel.

Yes I did almost just that. The wheels on the bus were improperly painted (just about everything from the ground up that was done previously on this bus was wrong) but the spare was still stock original and I saw that the wheel was all black with a silver white face. I had all five wheels media blasted and then I painted them black with POR-15 Topcoat, which according to the manufacturer is designed to be applied over bare metal. Then I primered the faces and shot them with Silver White I had mixed at an automotive paint supplier in Denver. The paint is single stage mixed 3-1-1 paint-reducer-hardener. The color (so difficult to capture with a camera even shot in RAW and color corrected) looks right, at least to me.

Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: L82 Silver white Reply with quote

That looks nice! I noticed though that the insides of the wheels have paint runs. They were black from the factory with just a bit of white overspray. How are you dealing with those runs?

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: L82 Silver white Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
That looks nice! I noticed though that the insides of the wheels have paint runs. They were black from the factory with just a bit of white overspray. How are you dealing with those runs?

Bill

Yes Bill, the paint ran through the slots. I just scraped the high areas off with a scraper and brushed on another round of POR-15 topcoat. I thought I had them masked well enough but...

Thank you for the compliment though!

Will
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: L82 Silver white Reply with quote

Am also having a hard time finding L82, preferably in PPG Concept but I am not that brand loyal. It appears that Concept PPG is also not carried in Ontario either. Anyhow if anyone knows of a modern paint equivalent of L82 I am all ears! Has anyone actually tried Toyota 033 and can verify it is a close match to L82?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: L82 Silver white Reply with quote

I have used Krylon Dover White. Not perfect as a match to OG, but pretty good. If you're painting all 5 wheels, I defy anyone to tell the difference.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: L82 Silver white Reply with quote

Thanks John- I will check it out the Krylon- much appreciated
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: L82 Silver white Reply with quote

Don't know what part of Canada you are local to, but I had a local outfit by the name of English Color mix L82 Silver White then put it in a spray can for about $28 U.S It was just enough to paint over the epoxy primer on just the faces of 4 wheels.

English Color. They have locations in Canada. Look them up.

Good Luck!
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: L82 Silver white Reply with quote

Thanks for the Color suggestion will check it out
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: L82 Silver white Reply with quote

I also could not get PPG Concept in Calif, I was able to get PPG Essential single stage mixed in silver white.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: L82 Silver white Reply with quote

^^ Thanks- any chance you could share the mixing formula?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: L82 Silver white Reply with quote

here it is.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: L82 Silver white Reply with quote

Thanks so much!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: