Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

weird engine driving issue. stock 36 hp with judson any help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
386kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: weird engine driving issue. stock 36 hp with judson any help Reply with quote

so ill try to make this as short as possible. my 54 with stock 36 and judson drove perfectly fine, i put around 3000 miles on it with no issues. then it sat for about 4 months as i was unable to drive it. then i get it running and take it out. idles fine, drives fine. i was running it hard ( 60mph ) for about 15 min and came to a stop. still idles fine. go to leave and after half throttle it stumbles. i just figured it had junk in the carb. anyway get to the show it sits all day and on way home its running great, until it warms up then the problem comes back. so after i got home i did some testing and this is what i came up with

when engine is cold it runs perfect
when i drive around town it stays running perfect
if i take it out for a long drive and keep it under 50 it stays perfect
once i go over 60 or so for a few min then the problem starts.
if the problem starts and i slow down and drive around 40 again for 10 min it goes away until i push it hard again for a while
it only has the stumble when i am past half throttle, if i take off slow it is fine
also if it has the problem from a stop and i get it to 60 mph again and floor it from there there is no hesitation

so basically only when the motor is hotter then usual and i am taking off from red light or stop.

now it does have the judson but it ran perfect b4 with it on so i dont think it is that
it seems like a accelerator pump issue but i took that apart and it looks perfect ( carb was prof rebuilt ) plus shouldn't it have the problem weather hot or cold?

any ideas where to start.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: weird engine driving issue. stock 36 hp with judson any help Reply with quote

I would suspect fuel delivery as a potential culprit. From your description it is starving when working hard.

This could be from vapor lock, weak or failing fuel pump, low fuel pressure, or a restricted line somewhere in the path from the tank. Sometimes the fuel valve gets torn up and/or plugged at the tank.

I presume you have all the cooling tin in place so no hot air gets recirculated back to the engine?

Some things for you to check.

Good luck! It will be a sweet win when you find out the problem. Smile
386kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: weird engine driving issue. stock 36 hp with judson any help Reply with quote

yes all tin is in place and no changes were made in the months that it sat. if it was vapor lock wouldn't it also be doing it when the engine was hot and i floored it at 60 mph? it doesn't miss a beat

Dan22 wrote:
I would suspect fuel delivery as a potential culprit. From your description it is starving when working hard.

This could be from vapor lock, weak or failing fuel pump, low fuel pressure, or a restricted line somewhere in the path from the tank. Sometimes the fuel valve gets torn up and/or plugged at the tank.

I presume you have all the cooling tin in place so no hot air gets recirculated back to the engine?

Some things for you to check.

Good luck! It will be a sweet win when you find out the problem. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: weird engine driving issue. stock 36 hp with judson any help Reply with quote

I will second the fuel delivery idea!

Is it possible to get it to start having the issue, then immediately turn the engine off and pull over to the side of the road. Then open the decklid and check the fuel level in the carb?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: weird engine driving issue. stock 36 hp with judson any help Reply with quote

I would remove the fuel filter in the tank especially as its sat for a while. Another check would be fill the petrol tank up as I have had issues when it starts to get low prior to the reserve setting on a judson
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: weird engine driving issue. stock 36 hp with judson any help Reply with quote

Have you secured the choke arm since you are not running a manual choke? Or has this been added. I don't see anything in this pic
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2125308.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldovaldriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: weird engine driving issue. stock 36 hp with judson any help Reply with quote

On the other hand, heat from extended running could be compromising the coil or condenser. I have had a lot of trouble from hot condensers in recent years--even Bosch. They used to last forever but not anymore.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: