Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Super Speedometer marks
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
edjose17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: 73 Super Speedometer marks Reply with quote

Hello to all;
Below is my 73 super beetle speedometer. I have circled some marks at certain speed.

Do you know their purpose?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Speedometer marks Reply with quote

Well, honestly, it's a little confusing to me. My 73 super has the speedo that is shown in the manual. The hash marks indicate max speed in that gear - that's what I always thought anyway because it seems about right.

I see you are from Puerto Rico, and that may have something to do with it. Exports there may have had a different speedo, or it may have been replaced with one from something else.

So, basically, I'm about as clueless as you are! But other than satisfying your curiosity it doesn't really make much difference in driving it. Just ignore them.

viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Speedometer marks Reply with quote

They are scratches or paint defects in the face of the speedometer dial.
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Speedometer marks Reply with quote

Both my 74’s have same markings as OP.
1974 Speedo

1977 Speedo (currently in 74 #2)

Definitely a reference of some kind, as my 2nd 74 (77 Speedo) also has KM/H stencil and next to 85mph, one of the markings is offset closer to center of gauge.

By their position, I highly doubt they mark shift points as on flat faced speedo’s.
cricketseed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Speedometer marks Reply with quote

I had a conversation with Jalopnik's own Jason Torchinsky about these very marks a while back. We didn't come to any conclusions. He was going to check with VDO, but I never heard whether that went anywhere. I'll check.

UPDATE: Jason says the best he can tell, they're reference marks for calibration. Says he's going to have an article about it soon on Jalopnik.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: