Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Garage camper special build questions
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Garage camper special build questions Reply with quote

I am in the planning phase of building a Camper Special in my garage this winter and have a few questions. I have been searching and reading tons of older posts on here, shoptalk forums, and RAT technology sites. I am well aware that jake only produces turnkey CS’s these days and no longer sells the kits to build your own. I am also aware that LN engineering has those kits now and all associated individual parts to build such.

I’m not interested in someone telling me how much to spend or that i need to pay someone else to build this. I intend on doing this myself at whatever cost I decide to spend. Yes, i can buy jakes at $25,000, and no, I’m not going to do so.

Reason for build:
This 76 tintop camper will eventually be headed to the Sierra Mtn/Tahoe area to live. It will see extensive mountain climbing and desert dwelling. On any givin day it could be at 10,000’ or cutting through Death Valley. I need it to have enough power for long stretches of highway and mtn grades.

I can already hear Subaru conversion fans typing.

The basics:
2000 GD FI will be the base for this. I have several engines on the floor that were running when removed. One at a time I will breakdown, mic up, and if determined to be worthy, will be sent off for proper align bore checkout and/or rework. Same can be said about crank and rods.

I have a still new in box set of 94mm Mahles that will be used. I’m not gonna open them up to 96 or anything else. Staying at 94 as original.

I’m gonna buy new heads from either Headflow masters or LN.

Plan on using the Raby 9590 cam.

The questions:

From everything I’ve read, the cam works best with the 42X36 increased valve sizes. Did i miss anything about that?

Got into some readings that mentioned bumping up the CR from say 8:1 to as much as 9.5:1 to help it breath at altitude. What effect would that have if it eventually lives at much lower altitudes? I dont want to build it to live exclusively at 10000’ feet. It would probably spend most of its days at 2000’-5000’ with trips above and below that regularly.

With these varied altitudes would I definitely need to install a mixture control rheostat to change a/f ratios? Or is that just a good idea and not really necessary?

I’m already hearing some of you telling me this is NOT the vehicle to do these things. Go ahead, it will fall on deaf ears. I’m certain there’s a few mtn climber busses out there that perform quite well. These are the people I’m looking to share what makes their rigs do well in that environment. If your quite content cruising around at sea level, then I’m happy for you. You are not my target audience.

This is a pseudo camper and will not come close to the weight of my Westy (3860# on the scale), so the much lighter weight should help with climb performance.

No need to cue the bears.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Garage camper special build questions Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RP1R-3gkBpI

Goes up and down with ease!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Garage camper special build questions Reply with quote

Igpoe wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RP1R-3gkBpI

Goes up and down with ease!

Brilliant! Can’t complain about that response. Didn’t see that one coming. Well played.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage camper special build questions Reply with quote

Are those Mahle pistons the flat top- or the dished bus version?
Are you ready to add an external oil cooler, or should the engine "handle itself"?
Are you going to reuse the factory injection, or will you go with a newer ECU, - or maybe carbs?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage camper special build questions Reply with quote

I did a copy of Jake's Camper Special on my own about 15 years ago.

This being used in a heavy loaded camper on major trips using factory L-Jet.

The Jake formula was followed using his 9550 cam (now the 9590) and some HAM 7440(IIRC?) 42x36 heads with mild pocket or bowl port.
Dished 94 Cofap pistons for 8:1 CR, a T-bird header, first a stock FI distributor, then a Mallory, both re-curved to 12/28.
Did a pro spin-balance on the lower end and balanced the reciprocating parts myself.

It took a bit of fettling to dial in the FI due to the cam and also old junky FI parts,
but other than that, it has hammered the whole fam damily all over the western US for over 15 years.
It pulls trailers, mountain passes, all nighters, boats, dirt bikes, stumps, everything.

I'm old enough that I'd been through a few of these motors in rapid succession before Jake came along and developed a combo the works.
Love it. Best money i ever spent.
You won't regret.

Just don't cut any corners. Adrian heads aren't Len heads. Do it ALL.
These can last a lifetime..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What’s That Noise?!?
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage camper special build questions Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Are you ready to add an external oil cooler, or should the engine "handle itself"?
Are you going to reuse the factory injection, or will you go with a newer ECU, - or maybe carbs?

Dished, no external cooler, and factory FI. Per Jakes comments, that cam and head setup will work well with the factory FI. Anything further messes with it.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage camper special build questions Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

The Jake formula was followed using his 9550 cam (now the 9590) and some HAM 7440(IIRC?) 42x36 heads with mild pocket or bowl port.
Dished 94 Cofap pistons for 8:1 CR, a T-bird header, first a stock FI distributor, then a Mallory, both re-curved to 12/28.
Did a pro spin-balance on the lower end and balanced the reciprocating parts myself.

It took a bit of fettling to dial in the FI due to the cam and also old junky FI parts,
but other than that, it has hammered the whole fam damily all over the western US for over 15 years.
It pulls trailers, mountain passes, all nighters, boats, dirt bikes, stumps, everything.

I'm old enough that I'd been through a few of these motors in rapid succession before Jake came along and developed a combo the works.
You won't regret.

I just reread your old post on the budget rebuild, and seem to remember that you also had done this. When you say buy Lens heads, would i have to buy new heads and send to him, or does he sell boxed up finished ones ready to go? Are they superior to the CS heads at LN Engineering? A set of theirs, all ready to go, runs about $3200. I’m good with that price range or a little more if Lens are superior.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage camper special build questions Reply with quote

And you stuck with 8:1. I guess I got sidetracked reading about altitude issues with that ratio. Your proof of success sticking with the 8:1 is the validation I’m looking for, thanks.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage camper special build questions Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Clatter wrote:

You won't regret.

I just reread your old post on the budget rebuild, and seem to remember that you also had done this. When you say buy Lens heads, would i have to buy new heads and send to him, or does he sell boxed up finished ones ready to go? Are they superior to the CS heads at LN Engineering? A set of theirs, all ready to go, runs about $3200. I’m good with that price range or a little more if Lens are superior.

I read Adrian heads. Not Len heads. But I could be incorrect.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage camper special build questions Reply with quote

Ok. I guess I read that to mean the other way around. Not partial to either/or. Looking for y’all’s opinions. If I’m gonna spend that kinda cash, I want to know I’ve got a good return for my investment.

Thank you for clarifying that. Or better yet, perhaps clatter could clarify that.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage camper special build questions Reply with quote

I'm likely reading the post incorrectly. It does sound like Clatter is saying Len heads.

Sorry if I am misleading you.

Slinking back into my corner. Crying or Very sad

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage camper special build questions Reply with quote

I'm sorry it's so expensive but I guess that's how things are.
HAM & L&N do a good job.
I worked on an engine with the "other guys" heads, I re-did them, did not like how the seats had burrs under them and the valve springs were not adequate.

I think that's what he means
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Garage camper special build questions Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Alstrup wrote:

Dished, no external cooler, and factory FI. Per Jakes comments, that cam and head setup will work well with the factory FI. Anything further messes with it.

OK.
Correct on the cam versus stock F.I.

Now, if it was me livin´in an area where you had to crawl up and down moutains all the time I would definitely build a low pressure turbo engine controlled with a newer ECU that ran closed loop so the fuel supply was always right, and you had full power (almost) all the time. But if that is out of the question we will aim for the next best.

That would be a 2109 powerstroker. (94*76) same cam, same everything, only I would absolutely recommend swopping the ecu to a modern one. Things just get so much easier and it can control the engine so much better. If you do it that way I can recommend sourcing a set of inlet runners from a 1800 engine. They are 2 mm larger I.D. if memory serves. (Or convert your existing. Its not that difficult.) That little mod works well even on a 2 liter.
The real challenge, 2 liter or 2109 cc, is controlling the heat, which is one of the reasons these camper style engines are relatively low compression and low power. The good thing with the 9550 and the newer 9590 cams are that they bleed off a little dcr so the engine can only make "so much" torque, but can do it all the time basicly. The down side is that if you set the engine up with 8-1 static and you climb to just 8000 ft for arguments sake, your 110-115 lbs of torque at sea level, on a 2 liter, will be reduced to something like 85 and that is provided that the AFR is reasonably right. If the engine is running pig rich which it will do with a stock ECU the power will be even less.

Now, how to do it easily.
After getting the cryo treated DPR crank Very Happy Assemble the short block. Then install the pistons and cylinders. Measure the protrusion and mill off whats needed to get down to 1 -1,1 mm deck height WITHOUT the top shim. That should be very close to 2,5 mm. If you need to take off more than that I suggest you adjust that with shims under the cylinder.
This way you still get a dish, however significantly smaller than stock and you will get about 8,5 CR dependant on the actual chamber volume and naturally also dish volume. The other advantage by doing it this way is that you get most of the burn closer to the spark plug so the burn will be faster, which again results in less need of ignition advance and thereby less pumping loss and excessive heat.
If stock heaterboxes are to be used I am a fan of the VS SS143 bus mufflers as they "improve" lower to mid rpm torque over most anything else. If you do not want to run heaterboxes there really is no way around a 4-2-1 header.

Hope this helps.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Garage camper special build questions Reply with quote

Al- thank you for that info. I am not dis-missing any of that, but I’m gonna try to keep this build as stock as possible for the ease of future maintenance. While there’s nothing stock about an improved cam or built up heads, at least all the other parts will look and act as a normal late bay FI engine should.

This build is going into my daughters bus and while she is learning how to maintain a powerplant that is twice as old as her, I dont want to burden her with advanced engine theory.

That along with the plan for her to sell this some day and hopefully reap the reward of a solid, strong runner, is another reason to keep it “modest”. I wouldn’t want a future buyer to be overwhelmed with what’s back there.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share all that information. This is why I come here and pose the questions. The wealth of knowledge on here never ceases to amaze me, yourself included. Cheers, jay

Edit: I do like that muffler you mentioned. I believe part of the Raby equation was to have better flowing exhaust. That appears to be a solution that just made my build list.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Garage camper special build questions Reply with quote

The easier maintenance was actually part of my recommendation to go with a newer ECU. The old D & L jet ECU´s - are - exactly that, old. by switching to new parts you get less risk of break downs and easy access to parts at the local FLAPS AND an engine that is better controlled.
If you want to you can use the existing harness, but check for cracks in te wiring as they can result in the weirdest problems, new or old ECU. You can also use the existing jets, but I would recommend going to the local junk yard and find some Bosch injectors from a newer vehicle, maybe a 2010-2015ish model with performance in the same range per cylinder. (around 25 hp/ cylinder)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: