Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transporterfest - October 10, 2021 - Brookline, MA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - October 10, 2021 - Brookline, MA Reply with quote

Great time. Camping was a blast and the rain held off. Thanks Stan for what you do to put this event together.

Does anyone know if the blue Dormobile with the replaced pushrod made it back to LI?

Hobo

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - October 10, 2021 - Brookline, MA Reply with quote

Great Show , Great turnout, Thanks Stan Laughing

Side note , have site reserved at Salem campground for Thursday 14th , in the rv field Shocked is there tent sites available for westy? any info would be greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - October 10, 2021 - Brookline, MA Reply with quote

What an awesome weekend as usual, and for once the weather cooperated entirely. We arrived Thursday and managed to make the entire trip without encountering traffic even once. We brought up both cars, the 64 bug and my new-to-me 82 Van which performed great through the long haul. Friday was our day to explore Boston - walked about 11 miles in that day alone. Saturday we explored Salem. This was actually one of the busiest seasons for Salem and the area that I have seen in my 18 years camping at Winter Island. I brought some friends who never really got the Salem experience and it was cool to myself get invigorated with some of that new-excitement. We walked from Winter Island into Salem twice on Saturday not including any of the walking we did around Salem. Sunday was an early morning with our usual caravan - no surprise someone mid-line decided they wanted to go a different way and took half our line with them. But, that’s fine! We had a nice group ride into the show. It’s always cool to see a line of VWs and the attention we get on the roads!
Loved the show - a record turnout I think - and very grateful for the award the car won. Already excited for next year! Thanks to Stan and all who came out and worked to put up an awesome show and weekend.

PS. I took ZERO photos. But if anyone happened to snap any of my Pearl white 64 please post or forward them over to me! Thanks!

the joker wrote:
Great Show , Great turnout, Thanks Stan Laughing

Side note , have site reserved at Salem campground for Thursday 14th , in the rv field Shocked is there tent sites available for westy? any info would be greatly appreciated.

Other than the RV field, the only tent sites that are accessible with a vehicle are the ones to the left of the paved roadway are you pull in. These sites would be before you reach the igloo area, or even the pavilion. There are other tent sites, but most either require crossing a grade that a car (or van) might struggle with or have large boulders to prevent cars from entering the area.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - October 10, 2021 - Brookline, MA Reply with quote

I agree the Syr crew came out (it's been 3yrs since our last.. )
it was a great weekend, great camping and an awesome VW show in a great location..
Stan said ~200 cars in attendance. WOW>..

as for the caravan.. it was the 2tone blue vanagon and blue Kia car that broke out the line and drug the group in half.. at a much more heated weave through traffic pace to boot.. was seriously unfun for the new members I brought out who didn't know any better than try to follow the VW in front of them..

a bold statement to those VW CAMPING..
IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE FOLLOWING THE PARADE.
DO NOT LINE UP AND LEAVE WITH THE PARADE

all in all sure we'll all get there.

Thanks Stan and everyone else that makes this a happening thing..
I may just break my every 2year cycle.. Wink

the SYR crew logged ~700miles roundtrip, taking the very scenic way across southern NH and VT back into NY and along the Mohawk river valley to Syracuse.
with Fall Foliage in PEAK in the VT mtns.
next time we'll come out a day early on friday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - October 10, 2021 - Brookline, MA Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

as for the caravan.. it was the 2tone blue vanagon and blue Kia car that broke out the line and drug the group in half.. at a much more heated weave through traffic pace to boot.. was seriously unfun for the new members I brought out who didn't know any better than try to follow the VW in front of them..

a bold statement to those VW CAMPING..
IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE FOLLOWING THE PARADE.
DO NOT LINE UP AND LEAVE WITH THE PARADE

I’m really sorry we “lost” you, but please know I do try my very best to keep everyone together. I even make planned stops along the route through congested areas to let us reconvene before moving on to the next obstacle, I often park and exit my own car to get a good eye to the back of the line to see that we have everyone. I have used the same route every single year, and every single year someone hops in and hops out and we lose cars. Your emboldened statement is 100% accurate and appreciated. I can’t control what happens when people just don’t follow the car in front of them. I have a curated route that tries to avoid left turns at uncontrolled intersections, as well as give us enough run up time on ramps to avoid becoming a hazard when traveling at speed. Hopefully, you join us again next year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - October 10, 2021 - Brookline, MA Reply with quote

Mike

nope you didn't lose me, but my SYR group did get broken up at the 2tone blue.. maybe they were new and didn't see where the group went and panicked.. as it was reported that they were running I95 @70~ weaving through traffic.. not in a very caravan friendly fashion.

certainly wasn't your fault Mike, it's very difficult to keep a group of cars together through such streets where you can't see around the bend.
it's just part of the hazard of the route.. in the future our SYR crew will have our phones set for location sharing in event we get separated though I'd doubt we'd have that issue again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fez68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - October 10, 2021 - Brookline, MA Reply with quote

I had a great time camping with everyone at winter island . The vw talk and camaraderie was never in short supply. I brought a pushrod for the guy in the doormobile from long island. I suspect he made it home ok. I had fun convoying with the NY vanagons down 128. I had the pearl white 68 westy. hope to see you all next year.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - October 10, 2021 - Brookline, MA Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
in the future our SYR crew will have our phones set for location sharing in event we get separated though I'd doubt we'd have that issue again.

I also run with a radio, and have always invited folks to bring a FRS or GMRS radio (those blister back jobbies from Target do well) so they can hear what I am doing before I do it. One guy even said over the radio "I think we were supposed to turn left there" - where we were all stopped. Eh, it is what it is...
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - October 10, 2021 - Brookline, MA Reply with quote

Mike, thanks for introducing this group campout to Salem. Arriving Thursday has become a tradition for me. Luckily, I’m only 2 hours away (this year took me 10+ hrs with fetching my van-long day).
Hopefully get some of the family with me next year!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - October 10, 2021 - Brookline, MA Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
Mike, thanks for introducing this group campout to Salem. Arriving Thursday has become a tradition for me. Luckily, I’m only 2 hours away (this year took me 10+ hrs with fetching my van-long day).
Hopefully get some of the family with me next year!

I love that we can arrive on Thursday! That gives me extra time to go exploring in the area. I also much prefer camping in the Igloo rather than up on the field where I camped in the years before Transporterfest came to Salem.

I had two Salem-noobs with me. On Friday we took the train down to Boston to walk some of the Freedom Trail. I activated Tour-Guide-Mode and we checked out Kings Chapel, Old North, a few cemeteries with notable residents, and some fun shops in and around Boston. We stopped at a fountain pen shop - always fun, and then grabbed dinner and drinks before meeting up with Jesse who was driving up to Salem from Long Island.

On Saturday I geeked out with them in Salem, hit up the antique galleries and a few of the 'big' spots to walk around. It was my friend Jess' birthday so that evening we walked back into town for dinner and drinks again. We went to Bit Bar which recently moved down to Derby (they had been up on Bridge for a while) but we had fun with the circa 70's, 80's and 90's games and kicked ass on the air hockey table.

I brought two cars up this year which was cool. I had my minty fresh bug to show and let my friend bring my new to me 82 Westy so we slept comfortably.

All in all, super happy to see Salem as busy as it was, to see Transporterfest as well attended as ever, and have such a great time in MA.

Next year, I'm bringing my bike! I walked the round trip from camp to town 4 times! Not including the walk around Boston!
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - October 10, 2021 - Brookline, MA Reply with quote

Getting the nip in the air almost time for Transportefest Arrow when is the camp out Question maybe in Salem that weekend before the show
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporterfest - October 10, 2021 - Brookline, MA Reply with quote

Hey! The group camp is October 7, and 8, with the show in Brookline on the 9th.
Some folks do arrive on Thursday.

Hop over to the 2022 thread for the most current info, and if you’re planning to camp make sure to let Stan know.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=772296
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: