Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

And I'm told Dokas weigh a bit less. 👍
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jb20thae
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

My head's starting to swim looking thru all of this. Can someone tell me which of these steel wheels is the most direct bolt on and has the best clearance with a 225/55 tire if lowered a bit with either carat or weitec lowering springs?:

17x6.5 et50 (Merc Metris) - needs front 6mm spacer, can use original bolts/studs?
17x6.5 et38 (Alcar 9787)
16x7 et33 (Alcar 9905) - needs nothing?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I have 225/55R16 tires on the Mercedes Benz #2034000302 16 x 7 ET37 steel wheels. I have the G57 big brakes and need a spacer to keep the cheek of the tire off the upper control arm. IIRC its 1/4" thick.

ET33 and OEM brakes will likely be different but close.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jb20thae
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I found some Mercedes 16" bottlecap style wheels with the following specs. What would it take to properly fit these with a 225/55 tire?:

7.5x16
ET 51
"M14 bolts"
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I'm not sure I ever posted these here, but They bolt right on, stock nuts and bolts, no spacers, clears the door.
I'm on H&R / Koni suspension.. but they seem like decent wheels. I have NOT been careful with them and no bends no problems going on 4 years with them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274886863338

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spiros
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

after some research, i ended putting these ling long tires.

I wanted to keep my original VW 14x6,5 rims and add a little bit to the diameter.
my tacho was going about 5 km off. Now it is 1 to 2 km off.
I really do not have any additional noise when i drive, even though these are all terrain tires.

ling long radial 620, 195/80/14 LT

I couldn't find any other choice for all terrain in 14 rim dimension, in the Greek, European market..
Povi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I picked these up today, and after scrolling through 168 pages. I think I saw them once but there was little info.

They are Rial 15" ET 23 Benz rims. I really like them but they feel like they are on the cusp of not being right. I didn't want to drill them out to find that they are unsuitable. I'm assuming 7J means 7" wide

They would go on an 89' camper with a 2.5 subaru. I have new schwenk springs and would like to go 10% over stock on the tire diameter. I live on the least coast so a hit to climbing ability won't be missed too much. I have asa rims with 7% over but I'm looking to experiment.

Any insights would be appreciated

Thanks Y'all

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Povi wrote:
I picked these up today, and after scrolling through 168 pages. I think I saw them once but there was little info.

They are Rial 15" ET 23 Benz rims. I really like them but they feel like they are on the cusp of not being right. I didn't want to drill them out to find that they are unsuitable. I'm assuming 7J means 7" wide

They would go on an 89' camper with a 2.5 subaru. I have new schwenk springs and would like to go 10% over stock on the tire diameter. I live on the least coast so a hit to climbing ability won't be missed too much. I have asa rims with 7% over but I'm looking to experiment.

Any insights would be appreciated

Thanks Y'all

There's a set of those refinished on ebay asking price of $2000+ .... actually ebay set is 16".
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rial-Mesh-16-Wheels-Merce...632-2357-0

Ideally your after et 32, not 23, that low of an et would put them outside your fender lip and there's no way to fix that. No easy way. They are sort of rare wheels and valuable though. Cool find !
Povi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I pulled the passenger rear wheel and did some measuring. There's 3/4" clearance between the face of the rim and the bottom edge of the slider. The tire could bulge no more than a 1/2" I imagine. I'll go recheck to make sure. I have some more time tonight. Potential conflict up front is a bit of a mystery, but I started with the slider. It seemed like the pinch point for the whole deal.

They were a steal. $75 for the set from a man who didn't have a cell phone that had a coworker to list them for him on marketplace. They were two miles away. I just paid the man and got out of there.

That ebay listing is nuts. I looked up completed listings and a set sold for 600 plus 170 shipping in similar condition. 16" variety though. I can't imagine getting more than 100 a piece on the local market?

It's kinda bird in hand territory. I think they are really beautiful and would like to use them if I can. Maybe there's a work around solution getting the door to kick out a smidge without hacking anything. Y'all know better than I do, that's why I'm here. But I'd like to exhaust the possibilities before parting with them.

I have another van with a wbx I'd use them on if the tire size I want causes an issue. They're so pretty
Povi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Not the same manufacturer but the same specs. Right there on the first post of this thread:

"15x7 ET23 AT Ilatia wheels
No spacers
***Notes*** 215 75R BFG tires (DeMinimis)"

Correct me if I'm wrong this looks like a win. I measured an inch of clearance between the edge of the rim and the bottom edge of the slider.

They inset less than the rims I have. Everything up front clears the spindle

Cheers! It feels too good to be true
Will-Dakar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Will these be a direct fit to my 1983 2wd Vanagon?

Front:
- wheels are 16x7 ET37
Rear:
- wheels are 16x8 ET30

Off a Mercedes w203 compressor allegedly but I can only see they had 31et fitted
Thanks

https://www.trademe.co.nz/3367382496

P.s I'm not allowed to fit spacers in my country
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Will-Dakar wrote:
Will these be a direct fit to my 1983 2wd Vanagon?

Front:
- wheels are 16x7 ET37
Rear:
- wheels are 16x8 ET30

Off a Mercedes w203 compressor allegedly but I can only see they had 31et fitted
Thanks

https://www.trademe.co.nz/3367382496

P.s I'm not allowed to fit spacers in my country

The 16x8ET30 wheels will bolt onto the rear as long as you install longer studs and use the correct small ball seat lug nuts.

The 16x7 ET37 front wheels may fit on the front without spacers, but you would need to run 205 front tires and you would have to run stick on wheel weights to prevent them from fouling on the upright. Even then, I have seen a few cases where the one corner of the upright needs to be trimmed back a few millimeters to clear the inner rim lip. I don't know if the front center caps would fit or not. You would just have to try it and see. You would need a set for small ball seat front lug bolts for those wheels.

For both front and rear wheels, you would need to drill the lug holes out to 37/64" (or 14.5mm).

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

17x8 ET47mm would require 15-25mm spacers to fit on a Syncro, right? They won't just bolt up?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
17x8 ET47mm would require 15-25mm spacers to fit on a Syncro, right? They won't just bolt up?

Correct!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:

Ideally your after et 32, not 23, that low of an et would put them outside your fender lip and there's no way to fix that. No easy way. They are sort of rare wheels and valuable though. Cool find !

My Ronals are ET 23 15x7 and they fit nicely on my 2wd. 7mm too far out, I suppose, but I didn't notice any difference.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Crankey wrote:

My Ronals are ET 23 15x7 and they fit nicely on my 2wd. 7mm too far out, I suppose, but I didn't notice any difference.

Yeah my SA steelies on my syncro are 15x7 with an ET of 25 stamped on the rim.
AllRad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I just submitted a post in the Tires that Fit thread, but it has application on this thread too. I upgraded my wheels and tires. Some good pics and weight comparison. Here’s a link to it:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584507&highlight=

Cheers!
vanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Merry Christmas!

Can anyone help me ID these wheels. I want to list them for sale. I'd like to convey what they might be to the next owner.

Thanks!

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Those look like the wheels that were sold through some of the vendors as "South African Steel Wheels". 16x7 ET30 obviously.

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Crankey wrote:

I think you'd notice if you had smaller wheel gap to the fender with some occasional rubbing.
I only have experience with 8 inch wide wheels et32 to et35 and I use a thin spacer to get things flush and the inner lip from rubbing the top control arm.
What you have looks good though 👍
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 168 of 174

Jump to: