Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Field find 1954 Canadian custom
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

GO DON!!! GO DON!!! GOOOOO DOOOOON!!!!!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Wow, two nice victories in one night.

I am installing the glass in the car along with the interior to reduce the footprint of the car as much as possible. Of course the window rubber is aftermarket and not correct but it is all that is available so we have to make do. The rear window and the quarter windows were one hell of a struggle, from installing the glass into the rubber to pulling the lip over the flange it was hard, hard, hard. Miracle of miracles installing the windshield into its rubber seal was a piece of cake, I was very happy about this and hoped the rest of the install would go as good. It did, YAY! If the windshield was going to be as hard as the quarter windows I was really dreading this. It poped in no trouble.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

By the way, whipper-snipper cord and hand cleaner is my weapon of choice

While I was waiting for my helpers to show up I decided to take the heat wrench to the exhaust nuts on the heads. Wow! They all spun off no problem. I have never had it this easy before.

Although I am a little concerned with this stud, it is turned out a little. I will have to be careful with it.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

So the stud turned out no problem and I even have a replacement in my stash. Meanwhile I stripped the valves and springs out of the heads. Sad to say none of the valves are reusable, they all have rust damage on them. The intake valve guides are nice and snug but the exhaust guides are loose and will have to be replaced, no biggie. Also the springs and keepers from the rusted set are trash so I will need to find a new set of those. I will take the heads to a machine shop and have new guides pressed in as well as replacing the exhaust seats for modern stainless ones.

Before:

After:

BTW:

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Things continue to progress here. Currently getting all the bits and pieces ready for reassembly. I am waiting for the heads to come back from the machine shop and the cam to come back from the regrinder.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Well lots has happened since my last post, mostly just puttering around waiting for my cam to come back from the grinder. A complete fuckup that was. More on this later.

OTOH:

Dismantle and a couple of days soaking in Evaporust:

And reassemble good as new:

Don

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

For lack of anything better to do I started assembly tonight:

My weapons of choice: For prelube something I picked in the early 1980s called Motor Honey, because I was told by a MB mechanic it was what he used. This bottle has built many engines in almost 40 years I have had it. And for all the threaded fasteners I have ARP assembly lube because I believe accurate torque values will help everything stay together longer. Since I started using it I have never had an engine work itself loose.

Looking good so far.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Looks great! Don’t forget the lifters!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Quote:

Uhhhh, this is a 36 Hp?

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Quote:

Uhhhh, this is a 36 Hp?

Don

Oops! What a moron, huh? Oh well!

Well then, don’t forget to put them in later!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

This is interesting, this is the first time in years I have bought a piston and cylinder set and they have changed. I see that the rings are thinner and the piston has some sort of low friction coating on it.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Got the short block together:

Set up the end play tonight. A bit of swapping shims, I have 0.24, 0.30, 0.32 and 0.34. I nded up using 0.24, 0.30 and 0.34 to get 0.006". I was hoping for a little tighter, like 0.004 but I'll take it. Tomorrow I'll get the seal and bolt the flywheel on for good I hope.

I got the chassis once again out from under the body and received the funky green yesterday . It looks like it will need some trimming on the back end. Photos to follow.

Don
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Why don’t you swap the .030 shim with the .032? That will set your endplay tighter at .004 like you were wanting.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

You know, I did that and the end play with the 0.32 was 0.002. I'm not sure how that happened but I'll leave it the way it is. Thinking about it now, I could have tried several 0.32s. Oh well, maybe next time.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Tonight I got the heads torqued down using my patented method for torquing 36 Hp heads as told to me by my guru about 35 years ago.

For them what are curious, this method works a treat. I have seen many 36Hp motors over the years where the lower four nuts on the heads loosen up after only a few heat cycles. My method prevents this 100%. Torque the heads to 15 ft-lbs then 25, 35 and 40 ft-lbs. Back them off loose and start again. This time 15, 20, and 25. Repeat the last round once checking that everbody is 25 ft-lbs. It was explained to me thus: In engines with 10mm head studs, as the engine heats up, the torque goes up as the cylinders and heads expand to about 40 to 45 ft-lbs. This crushes the gaskets and the pushrod tubes and eventually the lower nuts come loose. I have seen this several times where the top nuts are good and the lower nuts are loose enough to turn them off by hand. Later engines with 8mm studs are different. As the engine heats up, the studs stretch and the 22-23 ft-lbs is maintained through the heat cycles. A better design but the studs will pull out of the case which can't happen with 10mm studs, or at least I have never seen it.

Also important is to run a die over the studs making sure the threads are smooth and clean. Then repeat the process with the nuts and a tap. Thread all the nuts onto the studs making sure everything is smooth. Use ARP fastener assembly lubricant on the threads and between the nuts and washers to ensure accurate torque values.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

On a side note; after 30 or so years of abuse my Dremel tool finally stopped working. This little tool has suffered so much, cutting cars apart and everything else they are good for. On hot summer days I got it so hot I couldn't hold it, it has been a little champion, just going and going. Well it was made in the days when things could still be taken apart so I did. One of the brushes was stuck with schmutz and once cleared ran just like it always has. If it don't say Dremel, it isn't.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Well this engine build is not going according to plan. When I tried to bolt the flywheel on I discovered that one of the pins was mushroomed and loose in its bore. I pulled the pin out and ground it round and torqued the flywheel down and now the crank has 2 tight spots when I spin the engine. I think the machine shop dropped the crank and bent it when they were cutting it first under. I decided to proceed with the build thinking that maybe it might loosen up once it was running for a few minutes. Not a good idea.

Anyways, last night I was installing the push rods and couldn't get 2 of them into their bores. Like the tight spots with the crank, I have never experienced tight push rods before. Even with the rocker in place the push rods won't drop all the way back down.

So back apart it comes.

Darn.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

That 2 posts that are less than stellar. Sorry man. Feeling for you. Maybe this will allow the future to be void of hurdles!

Keep on going. It gets better!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Good news everybody - I'm an idiot. The crank is not bent but I did do this:

So I drilled out the pin hole and took some 600 grit sandpaper and sanded down the lump and bolted the engine back together and it works! Phew. This is a mistake I have not made in 30 years, I still don't know how it happened. I very carefully set the bearings in their saddles and mark the case edges with a knife before installing the bearings onto the crank. Still somehow I missed that the bearing was not on its pin. Ah well, excelsior! Remember kiddies, don't let this happen to you!

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Good news everybody - I'm an idiot. The crank is not bent but I did do this:

So I drilled out the pin hole and took some 600 grit sandpaper and sanded down the lump and bolted the engine back together and it works! Phew. This is a mistake I have not made in 30 years, I still don't know how it happened. I very carefully set the bearings in their saddles and mark the case edges with a knife before installing the bearings onto the crank. Still somehow I missed that the bearing was not on its pin. Ah well, excelsior! Remember kiddies, don't let this happen to you!

Don

It happens to all of us, at some point. Not sure if you noticed my old 70 Bug build thread. I built a 2127cc engine for it. Drove for a few weeks and noticed the oil pressure was really low, like 60psi lower on a cold start up! Long to short, found a loose pick up tube, thanks to the guys in the performance section of this great website! Swedged a new one into the case and all is stellar!

Now I check the pick up tubes for the ability to hold pressure. Checklist keeps getting longer!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 34

Jump to: