Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2021 Tour /// Here we go again!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

[quote="KentABQ"]
airschooled wrote:
A woman bought it a few years ago without knowing its provenance.

And how does that happen? Knowing what I do about realtors, I would have thought that was the first thing out of their mouth?

Realtor: This is the house from Breaking Bad, it's a piece of pop culture history. You aren't going to be able to lowball your offer.
Buyer: I don't watch TV. I don't care.
Realtor: It comes with a Pontiac Aztek as part of the deal.
Buyer: I don't know anything about cars or TV, does it have a microwave?
Realtor: It has a microwave, there was a fire but it has been repaired, but it was never used as a meth lab.
Buyer: A fire? Can I get the washer and dryer tossed in? Does it have a pool? Phew, I wouldn't want a house that was a meth lab. Will they take $100k less because of the fire?
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

9am rolls around and a familiar bus pulls up,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Spent the day chasing leaks, fixing odds and ends and learning, thanks again!

brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

you probably need a bigger garage. Very Happy
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
you probably need a bigger garage. Very Happy

Hah I wish it was my garage, its a 1500 square foot production facility at my work. It was forecasted for bad rain that day and about 3-4 hours it was a crazy down pour. Had we been in my garage we would have ended up soaked.

My actual garage for comparison, barely fits in there.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

Thanks again for having me Clementine79!

I did not go directly from Oklahoma to Washington, but I also can’t find my camera card reader… New Hampshire was in there somewhere, along with the Oregon Coast, and exactly zero submersion.

Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Thanks again for having me Clementine79!

I did not go directly from Oklahoma to Washington, but I also can’t find my camera card reader… New Hampshire was in there somewhere, along with the Oregon Coast, and exactly zero submersion.

Robbie

Did you find a decent spot to boondock near town? Curious where you took that picture at?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

Riverside State Park was full and turned me away around 7, so i split for the border. I found a dirt road that, while empty on satellite images from last year, was occupied by two nice families staying in high-end RVs. They were the on-site security (construction crew?) for the “private land” which was being turned into luxury custom homes… I was invited to stay in a nearby clearing, and left early before they had a chance to inquire about my dirty underwear.

Still no sign of my flamingo shirt or short shorts, but I have 31 states to write about first…..

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Riverside State Park was full and turned me away around 7, so i split for the border. I found a dirt road that, while empty on satellite images from last year, was occupied by two nice families staying in high-end RVs. They were the on-site security (construction crew?) for the “private land” which was being turned into luxury custom homes… I was invited to stay in a nearby clearing, and left early before they had a chance to inquire about my dirty underwear.

Still no sign of my flamingo shirt or short shorts, but I have 31 states to write about first…..

Robbie

If you headed into Idaho there's lots of forest service roads just past CDA ID between CDA and Wallace, look into Bumblebee campground on the sat and you will find miles of dirt roads in the hills north of the campground, theres many pull offs and cool spots out there.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

Still no sign of my flamingo shirt or short shorts
Robbie

didja check under the back seat of Colins bus?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

Robbie stopped by the house with another friend. We had a productive night chasing suds. I got a beer only available in Wisconsin Very Happy I haven’t tasted it yet. Thanks Robbie. Maybe next year we will be more productive, or not Wink
Safe travels.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
airschooled wrote:

Still no sign of my flamingo shirt or short shorts
Robbie

didja check under the back seat of Colins bus?

Brutal 😂😂😂
’65 Deluxe Build
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

Huh, thought this post was locked because y'all children can't keep threads on track…

In early May I left the Taos Pueblo after a lovely weekend at Vvulfbus' abode with visits from jtauxe, KentPS, and Jimmy. Even peaceful_warrior came through for us with a stop plate at the 13th hour by proxy!

Hey, here's the dollar general where I checked for a loose flywheel in 2016 with some milk crates and cardboard instead of a proper floor jack!

First overnight stop was an RV park on the 412, where I could pick up some WiFi for "movie night" with my family. They even had a car wash and I nabbed some great Mexican food across the street at Luna's.

SecretSubmariner and I have been farting around our texting apps for over five years now, and it's always a pleasure to visit his delicious Champagne that drives like he pours some serious time and elbow grease into it. (Enjoy daily-ing while your Jetta was in the shop?) Cool

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

I left in a hurry to get to Springfield, where apparently I took no pictures besides this, of Dusty's father's death trap.

A few days later I got to experience the orange glory that is Punky, a nice original '74 Westy.

Myself, I enjoy a little Ford White with my orange.

I thought I was being welcomed for a second…

After a shop pulled the engine and couldn't fix the oil leak, we replaced the dipstick boot. With nothing else to do, Kyler turned me loose in his kitchen and I was able to make some of my family recipes for the first time in a while. Thank you my friend!

Buddy managed to sneak in a few hours on Blue Ridge Parkway some time in mid-May…

I managed to drop my phone behind the KentPS Commemorative Cabinet and get it back without completely dismantling the living quarters… Glad I installed a service loop in the faucet plumbing and fridge wiring!

North Carolina was by far the worst experience I've had in a U.S. State. You wouldn't know it, by the pictures though… Razz

This was on an abandoned farm so I knew not to expect much, but around 2:30 am a group of the loudest humans I've ever encountered tried to push, (unsuccessfully,) each other into the lake for fifteen minutes. I believed it to be some kind of bizarre mating or hazing ritual. I also think that they were "trespassing" as well, since they didn't acknowledge the freshly-waxed Volkswagen a few feet away.

The next day I pulled over into a National Forest to take a nap, having not slept well through the… Oh god is this guy really…

I've gone from "I'm the only human around for miles," to "I've seen a stranger's genitals," in record time. Not only did this dude step out of the car naked, he walks over to the bus and talks to me about my van. I'm done with North Carolina; I'd rather go sit in DC traffic.

Put Buddy away for a week while I biked 370 miles back from Pittsburgh to Washington!

TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

Why did you bike back from Pittsburgh? And how did you get there? Hey thanks again for troubleshooting reminders for Debra’s bus. How did the concert go?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Why did you bike back from Pittsburgh? And how did you get there? Hey thanks again for troubleshooting reminders for Debra’s bus. How did the concert go?

My childhood best friend managed to snag a whole week off of adult responsibilities. I rented a large BMW sedan for the trip out, which completely left me soulless and sore after only two hours. For the trek back, we rode the GAP Trail and C&O Canal Towpath, six and a half days fully loaded. Camped during the 17-year cicada peak, which didn't gross me out nearly as bad as I assumed. They're beautiful specimens in the grand scheme of existence. One night of rain happened to coincide with the only night we had a shelter structure over our tents. I think we each showered once. Trust me, if any of y'all have friends that would agree to such a hair-brained idea, call them and plan your hair-brained ideas while you still can.

And yes, I rode most all of it in flip flops.

Robbie

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

So yeah, I guess April showers just bring more May showers on the East coast. DC coffee shops have crap for parking but the lattes are a gift from a diety.

Not realizing it was a holiday weekend, I was pitied by the Lums Pond State Park hosts who let me camp at the dump station for free!

Rainy camping at the dump station #VanLife is so great let's make a delicious drink about it.

This is a bridge? To somewhere? Brooklyn I think? Silver-on-silver wiper arms, just like all early early bays should be!

D/A/N was working or some BS, but I stopped in to see Neena (and son 😍) on my way out of town, and once again admired how they drive their beautiful Rivi through the cityscape like its nothing…

Overfilled the washer fluid… Did VW put a vent hole in the cap, or did I drill that when I installed the electric washer pump? I can't even remember at this point…

Stopped by St. Michael's place for pizza, wings, VW nerding-out, and a generally good time. Last year, Michael drove over an hour from home on a work night to tow my ass to Abscate's place. What a dang righteous dude. Cool

I like the scenery upstate. The "avoid highways" option on Google Maps is my favorite way to get around.

This was my first stop after the Great Flood, so I had to grab a four-pack to go.

Woke up here in Vermont, after some of the best hummus I've ever had in my life. Seriously, Yalla is worth the line out the door. If you're every near Brattlesboro… Wow.

Another sleepless night thanks to the local teenagers. This time it was loudly "wow I don't to wake anyone up but I don't care because…" before the ringleader listed off an oddly specific number of pop culture references to Buddy.

That's the East coast public lands for ya, and why I enjoy touring the Southwest so much more. But hey, they don't have the family bar…

Robbie

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Huh, thought this post was locked because y'all children can't keep threads on track…

nope. there is a secret samba code that allows busting your balls or colins balls from ever being locked.

looks like quite the trip.

i did trips like this back in the mid 90's when i first got my license. furthest i ever made it was the mid west.

i couldn't imagine doing shit like this today. far too many people....everywhere. even doing stuff 'off season' with the family use to be they way to go in terms of mitigating crowds....now even that has gotten to be a pain in the ass.

only real breakdown was when the rheostat worm came out of the headlight switch. once the sparks stopped it was fine.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

Go Bears!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

This was my first stop after the Great Flood, so I had to grab a four-pack to go.

We toured there in 2007 or so. Just outside Cooperstown...did you visit the Hall of Fame?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour /// Here we go again! Reply with quote

Looks like a successful Beer and Pot Fest 2021. Do you see yourself going down this road until your age 60's like Colin? Lot's of interesting places and photos. We traveled all over the USA a couple times for companies, and also racing, but it is too hard on permanent relationships to want to do it like you or Colin do. State and Federal laws are a trap too because automotive repair is highly regulated in many states. But, certainly the experiences are one of a kind. I found it easier than many others did to travel because of growing up a military brat. Already had 20+ years experience of new places. The nice thing for you Robbie is that the highways and cities are ever changing, and many places you got to see will be gone in another decade or two.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: