Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission oil lost
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnytod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Transmission oil lost Reply with quote

Main question: Do you know how much transmission oil out of the 4.5 liters is lost when pulling out the seals on the transmission behind the CV joints?

Here is the full crazy story. Doing a 3000 miles road trip we had to stop for emergency replacement of the CV joints in Salt Lake City.
The mechanic also undertook to replace the seals behind the CV joints that are between the transmission and the CV joints (there is a smaller cup seal and a larger diameter seal after that). When he pulled those seals part of the transmission oil leak out of the holes - HOW MUCH OIL DID LEAK OUT?
Anyone has a good experience with that? The full oil load is 4.5 L, how much do you think leaks out when you remove the seals? 50% , 60% more, less?

I have a wasserboxer transmission (a 091 or 091/1 ) I was told.

The reason I am trying to determine how much oil leaked is because the mechanic did not collect the oil, nor did he drain all the oil to refill from scratch. So when the time came to put oil back in, he was not able to unscrew the transmission refil bolt.... Bolt seems stuck.. He tried welding bolts onto it but still they kept snapping. He then opened the hole where the reverse gear sensor is and filled from there 2 liters...So now I can't open the transmission refil bolt and I also dont know if I have too little oil or too much oil in the transmission.
I drove like that 1000 miles from Salt Lake City to San Francisco without any noticable changes in shifting performance but I am really worries that this may f*&ck up my transmission.

So if anyone knows about how much oil leaks out when changing the transmission seals that would give me some peace of mind

Also welcome tips on how to unscrew the now stuck transmission fill bolt
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil lost Reply with quote

No, but your mechanic needs to take some basic welding courses.

I've not yet seen a fill plug that won't come out.

Post a picture of your drain plug, let us see how he buggered it up.
Maybe we can come up with a removal solution for you.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil lost Reply with quote

The amount of oil lost while changing the seal is typically not very large. You can reduce the amount of oil lost to almost nothing by tilting the van away from the seal you are replacing.

To get the plug out, raise the side of the van the filler plug is on so the oil runs to the other side of the box, then heat the filler plug to a cherry red and then let it cool. Once it cools the plug will hopefully unscrew easily. There is a fine line between getting the plug hot enough that it shrinks sufficiently as it cools and applying so much heat the transmission case is damaged. This is all going to be affected by how much damage previous removal efforts caused.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil lost Reply with quote

Just a suggestion.
If your mechanic was so incompetent that he could not remove a fill plug, you might strongly consider double checking anything he touched for installation errors, over tightening, under tightening or stripped out fastener heads.
It doesn't seem like his skill set is highly advanced.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil lost Reply with quote

probably an ounce or 2...if that

it's not like pulling a plug on a water bed. it just kind of dribbles out
mechanics out west usually have no idea how to deal with rust, anything stuck or snapped off.

worked with a guy from NM once. he lasted about 2 months here. never used a torch in his life. couldn't hang with the big dogs in the salt belt. his last straw was a broken sub frame bolt. after that, he quit Laughing

too bad about the fill plug. if worse came to worse you could drain it out and service it like the assholes at VAG have you service the Haldex unit by filling it thru the drain hole.

it would be a miserable process but doable

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil lost Reply with quote

The amount that came out or went in is not the thing to focus on IMO.

The fill plug hole is the level gauge. Filling into the reverse light is not any sort of long-term solution. Either get the plug removed yourself or take the van to someone who has the skills necessary. Once the fill plug is removed, the level can be checked and adjusted as necessary.

2 liters sounds like about 20 times what would leak out in changing the drive flange seals.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil lost Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
probably an ounce or 2...if that

Based on 2 weeks ago when I did this I would say 6-8oz. But it would change depending on the angle the van is lifted.

2 liters added is overkill. I would have thought the mechanic would eyeball the amount loss and add new. 2 liters... that's nuts. That needs to be drained off.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil lost Reply with quote

Not too complicated to drain it all out and put the correct amount in thru whatever hole you can find.

Ideal to fix the fill hole then implement a Maintenance program proper for an antique drivetrain that could cost thousands.
….for lack of a few $20 batches of clean oil.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
johnnytod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil lost Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your responses.

Based on what I saw a huge amount of oil came out on the floor and then in the waste oil container (I am pretty sure at least 1 liter). But it seems most believe is less... In any case I thought it is better to have too much oil in the transmission than too little so we added 2 liters

Could running with too much transmission oil be damaging?

I will try to remove the stuck transmission oil fill bolt and report back. Although I am really scared that a bigger damage might occur once we try remove it (e.g. If is cross threaded will need to fix threads or if we crack the transmission case by heating or welding there... )
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil lost Reply with quote

Too much oil will often introduce a churning action whipping the oil into an surly froth.
Air doesn’t lubricants well.

To what extent this happens in a four speed transaxle I am unsure.

It is a serious problem in engine lubrication.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil lost Reply with quote

Overfill the case by enough and the oil will foam out the vent.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil lost Reply with quote

With a 2wd van that has the tranny mounted at the diesel mounting position a lot more oil could escape the tranny.
With the tranny nose where the filler hole is tilted up much higher than in other models filling the tranny to the filler hole thus requires a higher level of oil.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: