Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel injectors no spray SOLVED!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Fuel injectors no spray SOLVED! Reply with quote

Hello! Last Saturday we were rolling down to the central California coast to bust my wife's aunt out of senior care for an afternoon. I was admiring how well the van started and idled, both improved with Marcos injectors. Getting onto the freeway had a couple of hiccups but kept on. Then one more momentary loss of power, then at Mountain View all engine gone. I was able to get over and am very grateful for the last 30 feet I could roll as we got to a comfortable spot within walking distance of an In n Out. I carry tools and parts, determined fuel and spark but didn't have bentley. Poked around but no joy. AAA Premier, thank you for getting the van home.

This is an 84 digijet running a 2.1 block,

My first suspect was the Hall wiring plugs and ensured continuity from the distributor to the control unit. Then I went through the AFC system check with volt/ohmmeter. I found the Hall control unit checks a little confusing, didn't get the #s I was looking for and ordered a new control unit and coil from VC, thanks for the fast shipping. No joy with that swap. All other steps were fine except I found that the auxiliary air regulator was not plugged in but appeared to have not been plugged in for a while judging by the dirt. It's hooked up now. Checked again for spark, present, then loosed the fuel line at the rail, fuel present and pumping. Working my way through the bentley I put a test light on the injectors, light is supposed to flicker while cranking, no flicker just a steady light while cranking. Pulled the injectors to observe spray, no spray. So there's the problem,

Did more checks on the Hall control unit and came out ok, next check was the Hall generator which involves hooking voltmeter to the control unit and hand turning the engine. You're supposed to see a flucuation from 0 to 2 volts.
This was a hassle with a socket and pipe wrench jammed up against the heat shield but I got most of a revolution and only saw millivolts.

Digijets are at a disadvantage for some of these parts! I did find this at Vanagain,

https://www.vanagain.com/shop/hall-sensor-for-80-85-vanagon-distributor

Does this seem a likely fix? Any other thoughts?
Best!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injectors no squirty Reply with quote

You have Fuel?
How did you determine that?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injectors no squirty Reply with quote

You said you had spark
The hall unit in the distributor triggers the ignition module to make spark.
Why would you think to replace the distributor when it appears to be working?

Check fuel pressure with a gauge. What is the pressure?

While checking the pressure measure how much fuel comes out the return port of fuel pressure regulator. Should be a lot. Is it?

Mark
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injectors no squirty Reply with quote

You can pull the distributor up out of the engine a bit and spin the rotor by hand, don't loosen the clamp, but just remove the 13mm nut.

The Hall ignition has four parts:

-The igniter/control unit
-The Hall pickup in the distributor
-The Digital Idle Stabilier (DIS) which is easy to bypass if need be without harming performance except maybe at idle.
-The Hall ignition wiring harness

I think I have lost every one of these parts on my own rigs over the years. Sad
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injectors no squirty Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick responses!
Dave, I loosened the fuel line at the rail and briefly ran the fuel pump. Though I felt certain I wasn't out of gas the first thing I did was put another 2.5 gallons in cause I have certainly never chased problems only to find I was out of gas.No , not me,

Mark, yes I wondered about there being spark. I thought I had a fuel pressure gauge, I will look for it some more. There appears to me to be plenty of fuel when the pump runs for the engine to at least sputter but it just cranks dry.
Does a problem with the hall bits affect the firing of the injectors?

WT, So I would loosen the distributor enough to disengage the tangs and turn it? Sounds good. I have the stabilizer bypassed, got 2 igniters now and worked on the harness and checked continuity to the igniter.
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injectors no squirty Reply with quote

Found an oil pressure gauge with a tapered tip, couldn't secure it at the T so pulled a line off the fuel rail and held thumb over the opening and saw 35-40psi. pulled the return line off the regulator,briefly ran the pump and I would call it plenty,
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injectors no squirty Reply with quote

whafalia wrote:

WT, So I would loosen the distributor enough to disengage the tangs and turn it? Sounds good. I have the stabilizer bypassed, got 2 igniters now and worked on the harness and checked continuity to the igniter.

Yes just remove the 13mm nut and washer and then lift the distributor until you can spin the rotor. You can take it all the way out if you want. Use care not to damage the wiring harness as it is pretty fragile.
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injectors no squirty Reply with quote

Resolved! ebay rebuilt ECU, all is well
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: