Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Betty" 1966 Sedan
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

BSheldon wrote:

2. Horn inoperative (Tested the horn out of the car - works fine)

When I got mine the horn didn’t work, either, but it wasn’t connected. When I connected it I found out why. It would start honking as soon as the key was turned on. I fixed that with a new rubber grommet on the steering column but then it didn’t work at all. I finally solved that by running a new ground wire from the steering coupler up through the steering column to where the old wire connected to the horn button. Apparently there was a break somewhere in the wire inside the column.

So then I was able to go get the state inspection and they didn’t even test the horn so I said, “Hey! I spent three days getting this to work and you are going to hear it!”
1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

The headlights are fixed! Dirty fuse/terminal on the low beam side. Horn has transitioned to the same issue you just described. The under dash rubber bumper and column isolator are good. It now comes on with the ignition switch, so I know it's the bottom end of the column or the wire itself - disconnected the ground from the horn ring has no effect.

I'll tackle that one later! For now, some success was had.
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Now that you've noticed that one terminal is dirty and caused issues now is a great time to clean all of the terminals. You'd be surprised how often a dirty ground or loose terminal will cause issues and will send you down a rabbit hole of diagnosis only to discover it was something as simple as that! Glad you are already diggin in and making it yours!
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Stauffenberg wrote:
Now that you've noticed that one terminal is dirty and caused issues now is a great time to clean all of the terminals. You'd be surprised how often a dirty ground or loose terminal will cause issues and will send you down a rabbit hole of diagnosis only to discover it was something as simple as that! Glad you are already diggin in and making it yours!

Recent update:

One wiring issue has led to another - none of them are a huge deal. However; after spending time since I've owned the car doing my research on what is supposed to be in the trunk versus what's actually in there and cobbled together we have decided a full re-wire is the best course of action. So that's the next step with the car in order to get everything correct and working as intended. So far I have the main harness, the new flasher relay, and the turn indicator switch. Now waiting on the rest of the kit and a few odds and ends and then it'll be time to dig in.
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

SevenOaks wrote:
Congratulations on finding such a nice one! I know you’re going to love it.
I recently bought one, too, after a long search for just the right 66.
It’s very interesting that our dashes are so different. I know mine is early, like 10/65.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BSheldon wrote:

Enjoy the ride and the process of whatever you decide to do to her.

Interesting. My dash is 12-65 and like yours.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Mine is 02/66, but I'm nearly 100% certain that's an aftermarket wheel (turn signal switch is black). I do like the contrast with my body color though, beige looks nice. Also, my interior has been redone by a previous owner. The headliner is a grey microsuede, actually really well done. The door panels and rear trims are not correct for a 66 either (no trim strip, incorrect arm rests). I'll remedy that way down the line since everything is in good shape overall.

For now, the electrical system is all that's standing in the way of me driving it regularly. Going to have to drop the motor to do it right, but gives me a chance to clean up in there a bit while I'm removing all the old wire remnants behind the tar boards. There's literally household lamp wire running to my tail lights right now, it's real neat. Remaining harness, the headlight dimmer relay, and wire boots should all be here by the end of the week.
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

With the rest of the wiring parts on their way, we prepped the car for its new main harness by pulling the motor this morning. Luckily, other than the incorrect universal heater tube, we didn't find any new surprises and it all went pretty smoothly. The $12 furniture dolly purchase from Harbor Freight was definitely a big win, and made it easy to swap from the jack.

Here's a few pics of the tear-down - definitely looking forward to getting this old hacked up mess of electrical tape and shame out and the new harnesses and relays installed. More to follow as we go, thanks for looking!

BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Parts arrived today for the re-wire. I am currently armed with:

- The correct system schematics
- Written instructions
- The JBugs 1966 re-wiring video series from YT
- Patience

The motor is out of the car, tar boards are out of the engine bay, gas tank is removed, and all the bad wiring is still installed (haven't messed with it yet). I still need to pull up the left side rocker area as needed, back left interior panel and anything else to gain access for the main harness work.

Before I proceed, does anyone have any sage advice from past experience or "don't do what I did" knowledge that may be helpful? Feeling slightly intimidated, but still confident tackling this deal.

Also found a really good buy on these NOS pop-outs and couldn't pass on them.

Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Awesome I love the direction you are going with Betty. In your photos the engine compart the seals look OK but if they are dried out and hard now is the time to replace them. Beautiful car.
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

@Bill Thanks for the kind words; we are trying our best to do right by the car and correct issues without going too far - there's definitely a balance to be found since the goal is to get it safe and fully road-worthy, not restore it. There were certain things like this wiring that my wife and I uncovered and couldn't ignore. From a safety/drivability standpoint, we felt strongly about replacing it all even though it was a substantial commitment.

This morning we got all the old wiring removed to make way for the new harnesses - it felt really good to get it out of the car.

For half a day's effort, we got the engine bay clean and the new main harness completely run from the firewall forward to the trunk. Looking much more proper now.

And here's a shot of up front. Still need to get it cleaned up fully before we start running and terminating anything. There are a few new issues we will have to deal with - I'll list those down below.

The hit list:

- What appears to be a master cylinder leak has essentially ruined the front driver carpet over time (see next item), so that will have to be addressed after the wiring, and before the engine and fuel tank go back in.

- The carpet kit is gross, and honestly wasn't installed correctly by a PO, so we'll be putting a new one in as part of addressing the brake leak above, because it will likely have to come out anyway.

- Someone installed an aftermarket choke, and fuel pump. They're both going in the trash, as neither one is currently installed correctly, or safely. These explain the mystery dash knobs, and there's also an aftermarket cigarette lighter that we have no use for. These combined represent three holes that will need to be filled some day...

- New soft lines for the fuel system, and relocation of the in-line filter which currently sits next to the distributor and is a classic "do not do this". Easy fix, I'll be moving it just forward of the firewall.

- Valve adjustment, oil change, thorough inspection of the carb/accelerator pump, and engine reinstallation. Just general engine maintenance items that I have the parts for already and need to do before we put any real miles on it.

- Heater ducting is all dry rotted completely, and we'll have to get new hoses before we can accomplish heat this winter.

- After all the above, a real good cleaning, cut and polish of the paint, and polish of the brightwork - it's been sitting for the better part of almost 3 years and just needs some time put into it. It's not perfect, and won't be, but the goal is to get all the big prism/hologram effect out of the finish and make it as good as it can be as-is.

A relatively extensive list of to-do's for a car that was turn-key when we bought it. But it's all in the name of safety and insurance before we just go out cruising a car that wasn't truly ready to do so. Electrical and brakes are kind of a big deal if we want the car to be part of the family for any length of time. I like to think I'm older and wiser these days, and although it pains me a bit to keep removing things, it's the right call. These cars have souls, and right now I think Betty's is a little happier knowing this stuff is getting taken care of.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

BSheldon wrote:
These cars have souls, and right now I think Betty's is a little happier knowing this stuff is getting taken care of.

Without a doubt.
Our '66 responds in a positive way each time I fiddle with any minor thing----mechanical, electrical, or even cosmetic. The thing that seems to make the old girl happiest is to be driven regularly.....the longer the trip the better. Very Happy
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Small update.

Today I got the tail lights and license plate assembly all re-wired and reinstalled, along with the main engine compartment harness to the starter. I also got the old firewall and engine deck seals removed; straightened the channels as I went, but they'll still require a little more work before the new ones go in.

Ordered the remaining parts I needed for the harnesses, mainly a few rubber body grommets that weren't included in the harness kit (such as the one in the trunk where the main loom comes up from the heater channel. A new brake master cylinder and associated rubber is also on the way, as well as a new shift boot, e-brake boot, dome light assembly, clutch/brake pedal pads, and a couple carpet swatches so I can decide between charcoal and oatmeal for the new carpet kit once the mess from the brakes is dealt with.
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Happy Halloween!

BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Latest update:

Rewire is nearing completion, but I'm seeking some advice on how to go about getting the engine bay back to where it should be. A couple of hurdles to overcome:

1. The 12v conversion means I'm not using the original 9 pin flasher relay. I have a new style 9 pin relay that is the 67 style (the blue one that's set up like a 67) from jbugs. I think it will still function the same.

2. The car has an alternator, not a 12/14v generator, which means no voltage regulator, and has left me scratching my head a bit. I'm looking for a good step-by-step guide on how to wire in the harness and connect/bypass what I need to to ensure the alternator charges and the idiot light in the dash will come on appropriately. I know some bypassing and T-connections are involved, just trying to get it right the first time.

Anyone have a guide here or elsewhere to point me toward? Thanks in advance!
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...alternator
Try this hope it helps.
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Bill,

Thank you!!!! Between this and a couple videos I found, I think I've got it figured out. Only two items remain now to get the motor back in the car:

Installation of the new firewall and engine seal. I have corn starch, and hopefully have the grip channels straight enough for this task not to become too difficult. As was mentioned, now is certainly the time to handle these, and the engine will be much happier for the effort.

A pair of new front turn signal seals... jbugs/WW didn't have the German versions in stock, so I bought the "made by us" alternates to keep things moving - turns out they don't even come close to fitting through my factory inner fender holes. I know for sure I'm not the first to encounter this... West Coast Metric only for rubber from now on... frustrating. Live and learn. "Good enough" usually isn't.

Next post will have pictures, I promise! Thanks everyone for following along.
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Looks really good and way to go tackling the wiring. Most guys are hesitant or afraid of electrical but it’s worth the time to make things 100% reliable. I highly recommend retaining the OG wiring for future color correct repairs!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

@Scriv

Wiring is my least favorite aspect of DIY wrenching for sure. Working on helicopters for the better part of the past two decades has reduced the intimidation factor considerably, but I'd still rather deal with nuts and bolts than electrical any day. A single-sheet schematic and the well done stuff on YouTube has certainly helped a ton.
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

So, it's been quite awhile. Over the past couple months, we've managed to re-run all the new wire harnesses, and the entire front end/trunk and dash is now completed. It's now down to testing, troubleshooting, and motor reinstallation. Fortunately (unfortunately?) back when we started down the electrical road, I initially thought just a main loom would handle what I needed to fix. Not the case obviously, but that DOES mean I now have a whole bunch of color-correct wire for tidying up the dash and fuse box area - this aftermarket harness has been great but they really give you just enough wire to make it to the required terminal and not an inch more. So more to come on that once I know everything works.

Here's the starter; 6v to match my 180mm flywheel and the bushing is good to go. New positive battery cable, battery ground, and transmission ground will be installed prior to driving. For now that represents the only old wire left in the entire car, which feels pretty good.

Next is all I've got left to hook back up: positive lead from the starter and main loom to the B+ post on the alternator, blue to the alternator for the idiot light, black to the positive side of the coil, and blue/green to the oil pressure switch.

These next two shots show where there has never been a voltage regulator in the car. No wire, no drilled holes, etc. I am guessing that the original 1300 had the regulator mounted to the fan shroud, or possibly on the firewall (no stray holes there either) so no wires mess to snake out - pretty clean in here.

Close-up of my alternator

And the engine as it sits right now. Still needs that oil change, valve lash check, and I need to deal with moving the fuel filter between the pump and the carb further up and away from the distributor. If anyone has a good placement for this feel free to chime in - I know for engine health it needs to remain between these two components, so I'm not going to just remove it or put it further upstream.

Currently working on installing both the new firewall, and engine deck seals. As mentioned above, both were shot and now's the time. Special thanks to George T at The Wagen for helping me sort out some things to keep this moving forward; definitely feel good about everything in the engine bay now. That's all for this post - thanks for looking!
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Spring update:

At last, I'm nearing the point to get the motor back in and one step closer to wrapping up all the mechanicals to go cruise safely. Tar boards are all cleaned up and reinstalled; new deck and firewall seals are in and ready to receive the motor.

Most recent parts shipment arrived with the first of a bunch of what I need to get the master cylinder (and possibly hard lines) replaced to resolve the leak and upgrade to a dual-circuit master. New front drums (LH front currently has one stripped wheel bolt insert), hard line grommets, and master cylinder mounting spacers. For the last of the wiring job - new trans ground strap, negative and positive battery cables.

Went for the German drums because I saw so many people have fitment issues with the Italian/other versions. They appear to be good quality castings and the machine work is clean. Really wasn't sure what to expect after seeing so much negative brake parts manufacturer feedback here on the forums and elsewhere. Down the road I'll get this master cylinder drilled out and make the switch to disc, but for now (and for the sake of my budget) I wanted to keep the drums, but make the upgrade for safety's sake.

More parts on the way - master cylinder, reservoir, stainless hard lines, and new rear 195 Continentals to go with the 145s I already have. Once the motor is back in, I will test all the wiring. Once the brakes are done, I'll get the tires mounted up and we'll be ready to cruise again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: