Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Deciphering what engine In my Type 2 bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stick13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Deciphering what engine In my Type 2 bus Reply with quote

Just got a 1970 Type 2 bus and am looking to confirm what engine I actually have? The engine s/n is F2002348 (copy attached). Everything I read shows that a 1970 should have 2 letters in front of the s/n, but mine only has one? One site said it is a Type 1 1300 cc, and another site showed it as a 1978…very confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ve attached what I believe is called the M place as well as the VIN plate in case that may help. Thanks in advance for helping out a “newb”.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Deciphering what engine In my Type 2 bus Reply with quote

Your M-plate decoded confirms that you have a 1970 bus: https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/02133004/

Your F2 engine appears to be from a Beetle (Type 1): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php. There is also a note if you scroll down that page, under "Replacement cases". It mentions F2 cases, but I don't quite understand why.

I hope this helps!

Decode your M-Plate
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Deciphering what engine In my Type 2 bus Reply with quote

For tune up specs what you need to know is what distributor and carb it has, while for rebuilding you would have to wait for a teardown to know what internals were used.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Deciphering what engine In my Type 2 bus Reply with quote

it is a 50 year old bus. Lots of things happen during that time. If it runs enjoy it. There is no way of knowing the changes that have been made to it unless you are the engine builder.
Stick13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Deciphering what engine In my Type 2 bus Reply with quote

Thanks all for your replies. The bus is not running. It has sat for 22+ years. I pulled the engine and thought I would see if I can get it running on bench, but might be best to tear it down and have a look? Thinking former owners bought this engine as a used runner but never got it back on road (as the flywheel was not attached to the crank)?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: