Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

duhbrr wrote:
Any chance it'll be in attendance at Red Barn this year?

Could be!
I think we are taking the 15 Window Campingbox to OCTO, though.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
campingbox wrote:
j.pickens wrote:
God, I love this bus.
It was a pleasure to be it's East Coast caretaker during it's various stages of restoration.
I only got to drive it around 3500 miles Cool

Come visit. Let’s go camping. I think the bus misses you driving it.

I could always drive another bus that we know about cross country. Very Happy

Not yet. I need to document and measure said bus before it leaves the east coast! Damn covid and closed borders
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Greg & Clara, question, where does the term "spring frame" come from? Is it the suspension of the 56 bus or the camp kit? Sorry if that was posted already.

Another question, how did you settle things with the asshole that rear ended you being the reflector is rare and if found pricy (is that because it's made of glass vs plastic?) also the body damage? If you would rather that a PM I fully understand as I'd like to up my insurance on my westy before more traveling.

I'm still learning and I don't know why but I am still absolutely fascinated about all the details of our buses. I am so grateful that there are so many people here to teach me Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

As far as I know Lind popularized the term springframe. I believe the official westfalia description is “deluxe export”. The bus does have large metal spring bed frames which make up the entire bed.

As far as the accident, as far as I know the police never caught the guy. Since we had full coverage Hagerty paid out to us for the damage. I assume they filed a judgement against the guy. I cashed the check and spent the money. The damage hasn’t been fixed at this point. We’ve continued driving it as-is. I would have preferred for it to have never happened, but I have been busy with other things and haven’t made time to make the repairs.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
As far as I know Lind popularized the term springframe. I believe the official westfalia description is “deluxe export”. The bus does have large metal spring bed frames which make up the entire bed.

Yeah, I totally made that up. Nobody had a nickname for them that I had heard of, so I made one up. Deluxe export just sounds too much like a beetle.

I also made up OTW (Other Than Westfalia), which is a play on a line from the Cheech Marin movie "Born In East LA". You got to watch the movie to catch the line.

Those are my two additions to the lexicon of old buses.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
campingbox wrote:

Yeah, I totally made that up. Nobody had a nickname for them that I had heard of, so I made one up. Deluxe export just sounds too much like a beetle.

I also made up OTW (Other Than Westfalia), which is a play on a line from the Cheech Marin movie "Born In East LA". You got to watch the movie to catch the line.

Springframe just makes sense. You could also call then drying frames, I heard they are good for drying vegetation on.
I'll watch "Born in East LA" again.

I coined 'headbanger cabinet' back in the eighties, FWIW
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Lind wrote:
campingbox wrote:

Springframe just makes sense. You could also call then drying frames, I heard they are good for drying vegetation on.

I have called it a"headache rack" for a long time, but didn't coin the term. I heard it somewhere along the line and it stuck in there.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Thanks for this info Campingbox, also good to know Hagerty pays out as I have heard it’s difficult to get “camper insurance” and I’ll be getting a new policy soon and need full value, therefore contacting Hagerty. I’ll have to look at the images of the bed frames now.

campingbox wrote:

As far as the accident, as far as I know the police never caught the guy. Since we had full coverage Hagerty paid out to us for the damage. I assume they filed a judgement against the guy. I cashed the check and spent the money. The damage hasn’t been fixed at this point. We’ve continued driving it as-is. I would have preferred for it to have never happened, but I have been busy with other things and haven’t made time to make the repairs.

Lind, very cool as I like both the terms “springframe” and I especially like “OTW” and I’ll check out the movie once again Cheech Marin movie "Born In East LA". It’s been a very long time since I saw that movie and back then I was turning wrenches on my British roadsters and motorcycles. I don’t know why but I am still very intrigued with everything bus and it’s history and I’ll always own a British roadster.

Lind wrote:
campingbox wrote:

Clara, I also love the term “headbanger” very cool you added to the dictionary back in the 80’s when all my friends owned Beetles and I just couldn’t pull myself away from British roadsters. Back then I was grateful to just own 1 toy. Looking back I’m grateful to own a bus and continue this crazy obsession.

Clara wrote:
Lind wrote:
campingbox wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

For what’s it’s worth I coined the term “Barndoor queen of the North” in reference to Clara. It hasn’t really caught on though.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

I came up with two new nicknames for Greg and Clara's compound in California, but you will have to read my latest Transporter Talk column in HotVWs to see what they are.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Thanks for this info Campingbox, also good to know Hagerty pays out as I have heard it’s difficult to get “camper insurance” and I’ll be getting a new policy soon and need full value, therefore contacting Hagerty. I’ll have to look at the images of the bed frames now.

Linda, if you are into scouting around for best quotes, among others, check out Grundy Worldwide who also specialize in Collectible vehicle insurance. I've had my collection insured with Grundy ever since a bunch of us took our old VWs on a 6,000K mile plus driving tour from L.A to NYC and then by boat to London to tour VW Shows and around Europe and then back in June of 1999. They have no yearly mileage restrictions, and have been covering my '67 Camper for two decades now. In fact a year or two ago they happily added my '87 Vanagon Westfalia to my policy, no questions asked. You will probably be asked to provide photos of the cars, they need to be secured inside a garage when not in use, and you need to have a "daily driver" to lower risk to the collectible vehicles.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

BulliBill, wow do you have a thread on that trip? Sounds wonderful.

I'll contact Grundy now for that insurance thanks.

Lind I'll check if B&N carries the magazine this week but they haven't since covid hit. I may have to order online. I've read your articles and Bill's. They are awesome.

BulliBill wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Linda, if you are into scouting around for best quotes, among others, check out Grundy Worldwide who also specialize in Collectible vehicle insurance. I've had my collection insured with Grundy ever since a bunch of us took our old VWs on a 6,000K mile plus driving tour from L.A to NYC and then by boat to London to tour VW Shows and around Europe and then back in June of 1999. They have no yearly mileage restrictions, and have been covering my '67 Camper for two decades now. In fact a year or two ago they happily added my '87 Vanagon Westfalia to my policy, no questions asked. You will probably be asked to provide photos of the cars, they need to be secured inside a garage when not in use, and you need to have a "daily driver" to lower risk to the collectible vehicles.

Bill Bowman

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Clara & Greg do you have any updates on your 56 Springframe and I would love to see a thread on your yellow & tan camper (I think springframe too) even more Cool
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Clara & Greg do you have any updates on your 56 Springframe and I would love to see a thread on your yellow & tan camper (I think springframe too) even more Cool
Yes please!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:
Clara & Greg do you have any updates on your 56 Springframe and I would love to see a thread on your yellow & tan camper (I think springframe too) even more 8)
Yes please!

I think this thread is mostly up to date with where we stopped on it. I haven't had much time for personal projects lately. I'm not exactly sure when that will change.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I came up with two new nicknames for Greg and Clara's compound in California, but you will have to read my latest Transporter Talk column in HotVWs to see what they are.

It is definitely a compound, but I don't know your nicknames. lol

Quote:
Clara & Greg do you have any updates on your 56 Springframe

Haven't had any time to do any work on it, apart from just routine maintenance. Moving our household items, car collection, and business to the compound took a lot of effort. It was about 750 miles. We now have a 1907 farmhouse, a 1907 barn, a variety of other structures, and a small redwood grove. The garage now has a new roof. The barn roof leaks, but only when it rains. It is raining today.
We did a ton of landscape clean up for fire risk prevention. Finally re-painted the kitchen, which had not been done since probably the Johnson administration.
There is not enough indoor car storage, so we want to build a new barn.

We have taken the blue 56 Springframe to a number of California shows though. Drove it down to June OCTO this year. Very Happy
It's a nice bus to drive and camp in.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
The barn roof leaks, but only when it rains. It is raining today.

Laughing
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Lind wrote:

It is definitely a compound, but I don't know your nicknames. lol

Quote:
Clara & Greg do you have any updates on your 56 Springframe

Haven't had any time to do any work on it, apart from just routine maintenance. Moving our household items, car collection, and business to the compound took a lot of effort. It was about 750 miles. We now have a 1907 farmhouse, a 1907 barn, a variety of other structures, and a small redwood grove. The garage now has a new roof. The barn roof leaks, but only when it rains. It is raining today.
We did a ton of landscape clean up for fire risk prevention. Finally re-painted the kitchen, which had not been done since probably the Johnson administration.
There is not enough indoor car storage, so we want to build a new barn.

We have taken the blue 56 Springframe to a number of California shows though. Drove it down to June OCTO this year. Very Happy
It's a nice bus to drive and camp in.

Clara,

It sounds like your compound has the makings of a good event venue, ie weddings and parties. Or photo studio. Old buses, barns, and redwood groves are great backgrounds.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Just wanted to post these pics again, of the camper on our way back from BBB in January 2007, so that was fifteen years ago.

We've put over 53,000 miles on it since we started driving it in 2006. It looks a bit better now, too.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus- '56 Springframe Westy! Reply with quote

Cool shot.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 50 of 51

Jump to: