Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intake Manifold
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Wondering if this intake would work on a 67 1500 ? pros/coms or hell no ? may try to use a rochester 2 barrel or a holley if either will clear.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: INTAKE MANIFOLD Reply with quote

Yep, that's what it's for, looks like what came with the 200CFM bugspray kit
Also can fit a weber DCN
should works "OK" if everything is perfect

but not as good as a 40 dellorto on a CB low profile manifold
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: INTAKE MANIFOLD Reply with quote

I used one of these with a Holley bugspray way back. the bug spray had a slot at the base between the 2 throats but it never ran particularly well. I also tried a tube joining the intake pipes about 2" below the carbie, that helped a bit.
also in winter the carbie used to ice up a bit and run really poorly cos the manifold was not warm enough. and the was a big dead spot probably caused by the 009 dizzy. but I thought I was really cool Rolling Eyes
It is a lot of work to make this setup run half decently
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

On a single carb manifold I would think one that has excellent thermal conductive aluminum warmed up right under the carb like that Low Profile Manifold would, be best. Not sure what to do to connect it on a single port engine though?

popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Will it clear the alt ? I did end up buying the intake above but looks like it will be sent back. Will not clear the alt with out cutting and raising the center carb mount.
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

which weber IDF 40/44/48 would be idea for a bone stock 1500 motor with header ?
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
On a single carb manifold I would think one that has excellent thermal conductive aluminum warmed up right under the carb like that Low Profile Manifold would, be best. Not sure what to do to connect it on a single port engine though?

They do make single port end castings to connect the above carb manofold.

Biggest issue is picking right carb for my stock motor ? wanted to go with dual carbs but this kit car just does not have the room on side of motor. from fan shrout to edge of body is 2 inches.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

popeye613 wrote:
Biggest issue is picking right carb for my stock motor ?

Just pick the stock carb... problem solved.

I just tore down a 1600 with a single center Weber IDF with no heatriser.

It ran like crap and the customer wants to rebuild the engine to stock for reliability and driveability.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

A 40drla on a cb low profile manifold is a great setup for CERTAIN applications, and works great when all parts are sized right and hooked up to function,
but if you are interested in it "just because it fits", and it doesn't even fit because you have installed an alternator, I don't think it's right for you.
I'd rather move the alternator than screw up my carburetor, in fact I actually did.

If you have to sacrifice it's performance using a different carburetor and changing the manifold and so on and so forth, the less good it will be.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Ask CB they advertise the manifold saying it even fits the 1300 engine. But Probably a Dell 36 or Dellorto 40 I think there are smaller venturi's that will allow for a 1300, 1500, 1600 engine to work nicely. Get the 26mm venturi's on ebay.
Best thing to do for the 1500 outside of getting dual port heads etc would be to either set it up stock or if there is a way with the Dell or I tried a Zenith, I have also run a single PBIC Porsche carburetor on my 67 on a stock single port manifold, with a W-100 cam, it was a good combination! Consider 88mm thick walls or something too.
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

I totally understand your thoughts man about keeping it stock. Trust me I am very hesitate to do a manifold/carb swap. I do alot of highway driving on 4 lane roads. Sucks major butt when semi's blow by ya doing 70 to 80 mph while your putting along at 60mph tops. I drive semi myself and does not feel good when they about suck your all fiberglass body into the trailer.

just looking for lil more top end speed.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Found these: NOS Treuhaft single port manifolds kit Price: $75.
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

price is cheap enough for sure .Thank you !!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

popeye613 wrote:

Really? well then you don't want to be making the intake length longer.

A single DRLA will help everything EXCEPT your top cruising speed. d'oh!
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

On my '67 1641 I ran a solex, then a weber progressive and then a Holley Bug Spray.

Also ran a Zenith on my '64 Baja, first thing I swapped out-not good for the tall tires on the free way-bug spray was better.

The bug spray performed the best for me in the same style manifold, with good high speed performance on the freeway.

There are better manifolds and carbs out there that perform better and are more reliable for the money.

Taking a step back with a progressive, Holley or Zenith would only be nostalgic and not really a wise choice and may be harder to tune.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

modok wrote:
popeye613 wrote:

Really? well then you don't want to be making the intake length longer.

A single DRLA will help everything EXCEPT your top cruising speed. d'oh!

Putting new parts on a tired engine will not give you the expected gains. I'm having a hard time seeing how a 1500 SP engine is struggling to push a beach buggy comfortably down the road at 70 mph. The rear tires on your Buggy don't look to large, that can cause a problem with stock engines.

I recommend a compression test, a quick check of the lift on the valves on one side of the engine (each cam lobe pushes 2 opposed lifters) and a careful tune up of the engine. It should make about 48 horsepower. It might need the main jet bumped up one size because of the header exhaust and alcohol in the gasoline (if it is a stock carb in good shape.) If it's some aftermarket "stock replacement" it deserves it own look. Sticking a bigger center mounted carb system on an internally stock 1500 or 1600 single port isn't going to add a lot of new power. I would guess perhaps 6 new horsepower if set up well.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Yeah...60mph is that only 3k rpm? should have a lot more in it.

I few years ago I did a 400$ rebuild on this old 1600sp bus engine and just did a number of SMALL improvements to it.
Some porting, trick valve job, grant rings, nicely honed cylinders, slight alteration to compression, and made all the clearances right, it had a generic header and single muffler already.
I was amazed at the improvement.
Could well have been 25% more usable power than the average of what people would say is normal. And it was still basically "stock"
Even when new... some were just better than others, and now... who knows, some are improved and some have...... degraded with the passage of time and the tinkering of hippies
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Is it that ´67 Maxi buggy the engine resides in?
If yes, I fully understand the 60 mph comment. Those things have a wind coefcient around the same as a light truck. Terrible. Due to that it will take ALL what a well running stock 1500 has to offer to go 70-72 mph. and quite some fuel too. To cruise comfortably at 70 mph you need the hp to overcome the road, transmission and wind resistance + approx 10% at the given rpm. (That is minimum numbers) That means, if you are doing 60 mph @ 3000 the engine will turn approx 3500 rpm @ 70 mph.
Soo, the engine needs to pull (45 hp +10%) = 49,5 hp and 75ft-lbs torque at 3500 rpm. to do it with reasonable ease. Not sure any centermount carb solution will give that kind of power increase to a basicly stock 1500 engine.

PS. For comparison. I just checked. My 1600 sgl port stage II engines pull 112-116 Nm @ 3500 which is approx 82 ft-lbs.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

To put a DCN or DCNF on that manifold you will need a tapered spacer because the butterflies will hit the manifold

I am waiting for some parts to rebuild a 40mm DCNF to bolt on to my stock 1600. A dcn also has a 3 bolt foot.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Alstrup : you are correct on the 67 maxi taxi. I have ask on another thread i started awhile back about the rpm only at 2,100/4th gear @ 60 mph. Only really got negative/BS replys. I am here to learn on these vw motors any help or respectful comments i will take all day.

Winter is coming here in Ohio and it will be put away till spring. So like everybody else I what to do some upgrades on the motor during the winter. If it needs a rebuild or I even thought about buying a turn key engine or even another motor to play/learn more.

The maxi runs awesome right now as it sits. Bump the key and its running. Far as I know its a bone stock 1500 motor but the guy I got it from said its a 1600 ?

Just looking for a base line to start on the upgrades .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: