Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for engine builder Rockmart Ga
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bajahappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Looking for engine builder Rockmart Ga Reply with quote

I’m located in Rockmart Ga and looking for someone local to build my 1600 for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for engine builder Rockmart Ga Reply with quote

The only places I know are Vintage VW in Jasper or Herrell in Carrollton.
Since I worked at an AirCooled in my misspent youth, I build my own engines, so I haven’t used either shop for that.
I’m just south of Canton about an hour from you.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randyrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for engine builder Rockmart Ga Reply with quote

Steve Sands In Rome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for engine builder Rockmart Ga Reply with quote

ProFlow in Rome. No personal experience, but I know they moved out that way from Hiram a few years back.

I haven't heard great things about Vintage VW in Jasper... again, no personal experience, but I'd be wary.

Personally I build all my own.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Bajahappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for engine builder Rockmart Ga Reply with quote

Awesome thank you I have been out of the VW thing for a few years and some of the people I knew are out of business. I have a rail buggy with a dual port 1600 that I'm pretty sure is knocking. I did remove the belt to make sure it wasn't the fan and it's in the engine. I just bought the buggy a few days ago and took my kids for a ride and the throttle got stuck wide open and before I could grab the key and turn it off I'm pretty sure it caused some damage. I tested the PSI in all cylinders today and have almost 150 on each one. There was a little oil around the threads of every spark plug and the rest of the plug was black and burned looking. So I need a price on someone doing me a budget rebuild on this thing as I don't have the money for a new one right now. Or I can trade it in plus cash for a nice used one. I don't mind driving an hour away to do this. Please let me know what you got or can do. Thanks
Bajahappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for engine builder Rockmart Ga Reply with quote

My engine serial number starts with AK so it brings it up as a 1973 1600 46HP does anyone know what type this would be? Type 1, 2, 3 or 4 I’m confused. I’m going to attempt rebuilding this myself it’s been a long time since I’ve worked on one of these. But I’ve never rebuilt one. So this should be a challenge as I’ve ordered my engine stand for it and many tools needed to do it with. Any tips or pointers would be appreciated on this end.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for engine builder Rockmart Ga Reply with quote

Bajahappy wrote:
My engine serial number starts with AK so it brings it up as a 1973 1600 46HP does anyone know what type this would be? Type 1, 2, 3 or 4 I’m confused. I’m going to attempt rebuilding this myself it’s been a long time since I’ve worked on one of these. But I’ve never rebuilt one. So this should be a challenge as I’ve ordered my engine stand for it and many tools needed to do it with. Any tips or pointers would be appreciated on this end.

I’d buy a copy of Tom Wilson’s book how to rebuild your VW engine as a primer for what you’re considering.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for engine builder Rockmart Ga Reply with quote

Its a type 1 style engine
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
airjose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for engine builder Rockmart Ga Reply with quote

contact Steve Sands first. He will guide you right as parts, what to do etc. Very decent and honest person. He balanced my engine and bought parts from him when he was in Hiram. He is an expert on type 1 and 4. They are things that you need to do by correct measurements; I am thinking: crank check, end play and deck height. Best of luck,
Jose
Bajahappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for engine builder Rockmart Ga Reply with quote

Do you have a contact number for Steve Sands? I think Pro Flow in Rome is out of business now. I called the number and left voicemail but it sounds like a personal greeting not a business and no one returned my call. I will be buying that book thank you. I pulled the engine today and have it in my shop down to the long block. The flywheel was hitting inside the transaxle. And when you use a ratchet on the crank to turn it over the crank has play front to back. So this should be a mess to see.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: