Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crank, no start | NO SPARK FROM DISTRIBUTOR??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanagonHaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Crank, no start | NO SPARK FROM DISTRIBUTOR?? Reply with quote

New battery, new distributor (replaced today and timing not set yet as van won't start) and a new coil. I get a spark at the cable that connects the coil to distributor but I get no spart out of the sparkplug cables. I'm assuming the cable that connects the power to the distributor isn't grounded or there is a fuse issue.

I've checked two separate cables and same result, also fuel pump works and I've heard the injectors pulse.

Can anyone point me in a good direction here, I would appreciate it!

Last edited by VanagonHaus on Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank, no start | NO SPARK AT SPARKPLUGS? Reply with quote

You put the rotor in?
VanagonHaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank, no start | NO SPARK AT SPARKPLUGS? Reply with quote

Yup, I've been reading and have boiled it down to the part of the wiring harness that connects to the distributor / hall sensor. Must be a loose wire inside the connection piece. Will have to double-check tomorrow to see if my hunch is right..
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank, no start | NO SPARK AT SPARKPLUGS? Reply with quote

If it started before all the new parts then its your installation of the parts.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Crank, no start | NO SPARK AT SPARKPLUGS? Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:
If it started before all the new parts then its your installation of the parts.

Or something you bumped, dislodged or broke while installing the new parts.
Some of the old plastic connections are indeed brittle.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Crank, no start | NO SPARK AT SPARKPLUGS? Reply with quote

lift your rotor off again and double check the orientation of the rotor notch in the distributor shaft notch. sometimes you THINK it is aligned and pushed down when it is indeed riding on top of the shaft. while the cap is off, make sure the carbon button in the center of the cap is not broken/missing.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: