Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
The best thing I (eventually) did to learn about my van was to go through every testing procedure in the protraining manual.

Here's the version for digijet.

https://www.progettosnaps.net/manuals/pdf/digijet.pdf

Doing this gives you a great tour of the whole engine management system, helps find any problems, and establishes a baseline. I like to do this annually now as preventative maintenance.

Just a suggestion, have fun.

A most excellent idea Mike! It's on my to-do-list now!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
In the meantime, a no cost project could be to clean all the grounds.

Perfect suggestion Duncan - because guess what? ...

I moved Freddie into the garage next to our '78 Dodge Monaco, inside, out of the blazing sun and the chilly nights - I want to keep his interior in good shape. BUT he most certainly didn't like being moved - his idle was hunting really bad. I noticed some pretty dry and cracked hoses around the engine compartment yesterday when I was cleaning it, but I expect my lumbering hands knocked one or made one worse...

When he was idling, I ran round to the back, lifted the lid, and I could hear a very audible "hiss"...such is the magic of a vacuum leak...dang it. I know which hose is the main culprit but I'll switch them all out for the sake of a job well done. And as you suggested Duncan, may as well clean all the grounds up too!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

This evening, the wifey had more math homework. Soon, she'll have a degree and I'm so proud of her!
While she studied, me and her 13yr old hit up our local parts store and bought some hoes......I mean...hose Very Happy

This is why...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Luckily, they had exactly what we needed. I didn't buy hose clamps though, because I still have some left from my MEGA yard sale purchase a few years a go, this was $5 and was full - looks like I'm gonna need to refill it soon...

Eventually I had this section replaced...

After some more hunting at idle, and a hissing noise from one of my hoses not clamped down properly (doh!!) I started Freddie up.

There was a slight "hunt" as you can see here... but at 0:12s he levels out...!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zQ0bKpXv1c

Is that normal? Did the 'pooter level things out after a bit of "thinking"?
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Il est arrive!!

I know this thread has gotten a little dull, we are sorry. So to spice things up a bit, naked photos of my wifey are coming up!!

Just kidding.

I'll post up some more interesting pics and learnings, once I've done the fuel lines, this Saturday. In the meantime, Freddie is back outside (I figured fuel fumes will be less hazardous in the fresh air).

Hope you are all staying safe and well!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
The best thing I (eventually) did to learn about my van was to go through every testing procedure in the protraining manual.

Here's the version for digijet.

https://www.progettosnaps.net/manuals/pdf/digijet.pdf

Doing this gives you a great tour of the whole engine management system, helps find any problems, and establishes a baseline. I like to do this annually now as preventative maintenance.

Just a suggestion, have fun.

That digijet manual is amazingly detailed! Love it! Thanks Mike, for posting the link to this!!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

It's been a chilly Saturday, the wifey took her seat inside Freddie with our Mr Buddy heater going, so she could carry on with her homework and be with me. Not a bad fall view for us out back...

The wifey went to the UPS store and printed this pdf from vanagon.org so I wouldnt have to keep looking at my phone - bless her heart. Here we go...

Most of the fuel lines were haggard. Here's the injector seals, they were haggard too!

Here's a fuel rail before...it's grim in there man....

and after...much better..

I took the vanagon.org instructions step by step. It was a little intimidating but the pdf is so much help. Anyone who's a novice could do this fuel line replacement, just take it one step at a time. Oh, and cut your long sections of new line at least an inch longer than the originals. Cut the injector lines the same as the old ones.

The dreaded firewall fitting snapped off in my hand - that's how brittle it was. I am very happy it's out of the system now.

It took me about 5 hours to complete the job. I checked and double checked my work and I ran the van for a good 20 mins and watched like a hawk for leaks with a flashlight. No leaks.

A little extra happiness happened too - the PO came by and dropped off the title!!! Woooooop! And he found the Bentley so he gave me that too! Must be my lucky day!!

No, it isn't - while running the van, it acquired a loud knock, which with an hour of youtube/samba research is a stuck lifter. Tomorrow, I shall go forth and insert
some Marvel Mystery Oil into Freddie and drive him around to unstick it.

A long but successful day and one step closer to Freddie being sorted!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Today, we grabbed a Starbucks coffee for ourselves and a large bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil for Freddie.

When we got home, we warmed him up for 15 mins, and we drained maybe 32oz of oil out of Freddie and topped him off with MMO. We drove him around the neighborhood for a good 30 mins in a spirited fashion, and came back home. We were blown away with the results....please click on the link below and you'll hear or yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BCfMrgOWG8

I read A LOT of Samba write-ups and watched a good few videos regarding MMO, so I know the general consensus is that it really is magic. Please add us to the list of people who just don't know what to say....it's a marvelous mystery but sign us up for a monthly subscription Very Happy

Here's wifey looking so happy during her first drive at the wheel of Freddie. When she is happy, the world is a better place. Hope you all had a good weekend.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

I love the smell of oetiker clamps in the morning, they smell like……

Victory.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Victory.

They do indeed! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Did you send the fuel injectors in to have cleaned? I would if they look that dirty on the outside...
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

The Pilch wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Victory.

Congratulations on getting this far with it, and getting the lifters to behave for you. Yes, that MMO is something else,,, Made a believer out me as well since I didn't even have to leave the Auto Parts Store Parking lot before my noisy lifter noise was gone.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

That's an impressive difference!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
The Pilch wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Victory.

Congratulations on getting this far with it, and getting the lifters to behave for you. Yes, that MMO is something else,,, Made a believer out me as well since I didn't even have to leave the Auto Parts Store Parking lot before my noisy lifter noise was gone.

Thank you! We are pleased so far!

That's Excellent! I'll fly the flag for MMO to anyone who'll listen. It really is magic.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
That's an impressive difference!

It blows my mind! What's in that stuff? A little bit of something marvelous, mysterious, and errr...oily I'm guessing Very Happy
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Today was a taste of winter - some snow on the mountains, but mostly cold rain on the benches where we live. Wifey surprised me when I got home, with Freddie's new license plates! She went to the DMV secretly! Can you tell, I might be a little excited?

The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

We ended up getting the Harbor Freight $99 roof rack basket, because at that exact moment in time, we could, so we did. We put the basket together in our spare room...

and then figured out the clamps the next day...

Wifey gets stuck in and it's amazing having her doing all this with me...

Then we chopped the roof rails down because they were easily 18" too wide. We think he looks very handsome.

I wrapped the air deflector at work to personalize it a little et voila!

We took him for a drive and relaxed a little on our Friday night date-night.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Looks nice!
Extra travel space?

Interesting your Van is a “Him”.
Most vehicles seem to be a “Her”

I hope your Him doesn’t spend too much unchaperoned time with someone’s Her……..

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

This carpenter friend has a him.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Looks nice!
Extra travel space?

Interesting your Van is a “Him”.
Most vehicles seem to be a “Her”

I hope your Him doesn’t spend too much unchaperoned time with someone’s Her……..

Thanks man! Most definitely a "Him" - the story of Freddie was too powerful to ignore Very Happy
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Today, all we did was change out Freddie's battery ground strap, because his existing one broke. $7.99 and ten minutes, sorted.

Then we drove him. For some good miles, it was so much fun.

Then we decided to have our dinner in the back yard, as it was a nice evening. That's all today, we hope you fella's all had a great weekend!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: