Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a local ‘71 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

I Received my new collapsable camp sink today. It comes with a wash basin, drain pan and a bucket. Still dialing in the camp set up after all these years

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Headed to the VW graveyard in Cortez tomorrow with Samba a member Mtnbus, stoked for that adventure!!!!! VW Logo
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Nice set up! I know where you are headed, say hi to the gang for me.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Sometimes it’s all about the little things. Took me long enough, but I found a VW gas cap and I didn’t have to buy it off the internet. Dancing

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Peryl and my ‘65 bug, Tha Monsta. The Monsta is being towed to the shop today for a 2109cc.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

2109cc???

Why? I know you got parts to do it. Is that the reason?

Great looking bug. Have a grand time RP.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
2109cc???

Why? I know you got parts to do it. Is that the reason?

Yup, going with a strokered out 2109cc. Having a lot of the parts already made the decision easy, but I want it to sleeper. It’ll be a AS41 case, CB 76mm crank, CB 044 heads with doubled sprung valves, Mahle pistons, Berg 297-A high lift cam, Kaddies, real 009 with Petronix, Brosol fuel pump, CB 26mm oil pump with filter, Silverline main. bearings, Mahle double thrust cam bearings, CB straight cut cam gears and 9:1 compression. It should spin to about 6200 rpms. Zoom Zoom!

I have a build thread going in the beetle forum, the link is in my signature line.

It was towed to the shop today, hopefully I’ll get it back in time to rip it up the the ski resort in a few months!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I Received my new collapsable camp sink today. It comes with a wash basin, drain pan and a bucket. Still dialing in the camp set up after all these years

Headed to the VW graveyard in Cortez tomorrow with Samba a member Mtnbus, stoked for that adventure!!!!! VW Logo

We have the same collapsible kit + a portable 5L camp shower and it works out great for doing the dishes. A small foldable wood table competes it.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

That is going to be a fast Beetle, make sure it can stop ( not sure factory drum brakes will be up for the task). Nice pair!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
That is going to be a fast Beetle, make sure it can stop ( not sure factory drum brakes will be up for the task). Nice pair!

How fast can it really be?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Changed the oil (used Lucas Zink additive), oil filter, adjusted the valves and installed new cork valve cover gaskets. It was only 1200 miles since my last oil change but I wanted to change it before we head to Albuquerque on Friday for Buses and Balloons, which should be about 3 1/2 hours each way. The oil was pretty blacks and all the valves measured at .004, I set them all back to .006.

Just need to pack and we should be ready for our next adventure!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

Which set is that Rich? Having trouble finding it.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Here’s the link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092YVM9S4/ref=cm_sw_r_c...&psc=1

Unfortunately, there is a prerequisite that you have to understand the fundamental workings of an air cooled Volkswagen before you can buy one of these…😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

I’ve been getting fumes in the cab at slow speeds while the heat is on. No issues at speed but under 50 it stinks! Figured it was a exhaust leak, so I grabbed some donuts and gaskets from the shop to fix the issue. I pulled the hitch, bumper, rear apron and the breast plate. There was a leak on the 1/3 side and the heater hose on the 2/4 side had a hole in it. I cleaned the area. Tightened the donut bolts and used RTV to seal the leak. It was’t that big and I think the RTV will do the trick. Also replaced the heater hose and cleaned up the exhaust. I wiped down the engine and I’ll change the oil and adjust the valves before we head off to SoCal.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Hi Rich,
Regarding your bug, have you run a 009 with Kaddies before? If you have I'll shut up.
Best, Tom
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Here’s the link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092YVM9S4/ref=cm_sw_r_c...&psc=1

Unfortunately, there is a prerequisite that you have to understand the fundamental workings of an air cooled Volkswagen before you can buy one of these…😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Well, I’m fooked...

Surprised
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Hi Rich,
Regarding your bug, have you run a 009 with Kaddies before? If you have I'll shut up.
Best, Tom

Yes, I ran a very similar 2109 back in 2013 in my old ‘68 Tin Top. In the pic below you can see the Kaddies and the 009. This new 2109 will have the same heads, P&C’s and Kaddies that was on the old engine. The new 2109 will have a more aggressive cam and higher compression.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Well, I had to take it apart again this weekend b/c I did not fix the exhaust leak last weekend. This time I removed the exhaust, cleaned everything and tried to figure out why it was leaking. Although I cannot be completely sure what was happening I found that the flutes were bent up and the donuts were not seating correctly. I bent them back into shape and made sure the donuts fit in the flutes nicely. Upon reinstall I used RTV on all the sealing parts to try and make sure it seals and doesn’t leak. Hopefully it works, can’t go to Cali with exhaust fumes in my heat.

Next weekend I’ll change the transaxle oil, engine oil, adjust the valves and check the tire pressure. Then on 11/6 we head to SoCal for 15 days. We will be be Lego Land for 3 days and 4 nights and camping mostly at RV resorts on this trip. So far we have reservations in Kingman, Joshua Tree, LL, and Santa Barbara. I need to make one more reservation in Big Sur, they are only taking those over the phone and we’ll be hoping for first come first serve camping in Monterey. We are all excited!!!

I got a hitch mounted cargo carrier for this trip. This should free up a lot of room in the bus and make everyone a little more comfortable.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

What a fun trip!!! You will have a blast. It should be warm so not much need for heat once you are past the desert. Never had heat in my Bus, what's it like?
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Legoland, eh?

I've been wanting to make a westy pop-top model for a bit and used your bus for reference since it's now relevant. Very Happy
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

That is awesome, Doc!!! How can I get my hands on that? It would look great on the mantle above my fireplace.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 26

Jump to: