Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bradley GT popped up at the junkyard
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Bradley GT popped up at the junkyard Reply with quote

This popped up at the u pull and pay in Pittsburgh PA. They call it a 1977 GTI haha...

The body looked very good, a couple of corner crunches from recent rough handling, but overall the body looked very nice. It looked like it sat in a yard for a long time. The pans were pretty much gone. The engine looked fairly clean underneath, but I could not rock the pulley at all. I might grab that engine, I don't know. Anyhow, I just figured that this may be of interest to someone before it gets crushed. Oh, no windshield to be found...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bradley GT popped up at the junkyard Reply with quote

did you ask about price for the whole car?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bradley GT popped up at the junkyard Reply with quote

Nice looking car to be junked!
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bradley GT popped up at the junkyard Reply with quote

Its in the perfect place for it
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bradley GT popped up at the junkyard Reply with quote

Take the car home and leave the engine. The car is worth more in my view than a seized up engine!

Ok, take it all then...
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bradley GT popped up at the junkyard Reply with quote

I called them a day or so after thinking about it... The girl who answered said that due to covid, they no longer sale whole cars from the yard. My son has bought a car there from the yard, he said to go down and ask to talk to the manager.
There is a $65 for all that you can fit in a wheel barrow day coming up this Wednesday, I might go down first thing in the morning and see what I can do. If all else fails, I plan on pulling the engine and trans at the least (unless I can get a few guys to lift the whole car on a wheel barrow with me, and then.....)

How difficult is it to get to the engine / trans mount bolts in this type of car? All from underneath? When I was there I really did not look too close and I had "good" clothes on and did not want to get too dirty crawling around. The firewall looked very close to the fan shroud.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Bradley GT popped up at the junkyard Reply with quote

What the *(&%#@# has COVID got to do with selling whole cars? Tell them you will believe that when all the car dealers are not allowed to sell and are all shut down!

Or.. . you could tell them it's not a whole car, it's missing the seats and windshield.
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bradley GT popped up at the junkyard Reply with quote

and the floor pans haha! I will see what they have to say. There is not a lot of scrap value there...

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bradley GT popped up at the junkyard Reply with quote

Probably a moot point about the car unless you plan to put lexan in as a windshield. That glass hasn't been available for years..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bradley GT popped up at the junkyard Reply with quote

I would probably pass the car on to someone that wanted it. I just hate to see stuff like that get scrapped.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bradley GT popped up at the junkyard Reply with quote

There are certainly some things you can get that will exceed a $65 price tag (for everything)

1. Sunroof panels are in demand and can be shipped
2. Rear glass for a local buyer
3. Side windows and side glass
4. Steering wheel and adapter
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bradley GT popped up at the junkyard Reply with quote

That is good to know. If I cannot get the entire car for a great price, then I am open to pick some items like that. What sort of fasteners hold those doors and rear glass on?

How hard will getting to the engine bolts be? There are overhead cranes there that you can use for free. I hope that I can drop the engine down with one of those. I will be alone I believe.

I enjoy cracking open an old engine like that, you never know what may be inside.

68 Westy
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bradley GT popped up at the junkyard Reply with quote

4 nuts on the bell housing then it's just wiring, throttle cable and hot air boxes to the cab (if they are still there). !5 minutes tops for 1 guy or about 2 minutes if you are a practiced Beetle engine thief.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bradley GT popped up at the junkyard Reply with quote

Quote:
4 nuts on the bell housing

Usually need 17 mm wrench size for those. If the engine is a dual-port and has a doghouse-style fan shroud, you reach the upper right fastening nut by slipping your hand and wrench around the rear (frontward-facing) side of the fan shroud. The 2 lower nuts face frontwards and you get to them from beneath the car. The upper left fastener will be the trickiest, because it's a long bolt that goes rearwards from near the clutch throwout bearing arm. You'll need a few long socket extensions to reach up there, and bring along a few slightly smaller sockets such as a 15 mm for just that bolt.

If the engine is single-port and has the non-doghouse fan shroud, the upper left mounting nut is mirror-image of the upper right one and you can remove it from the engine compartment.

Remove any "breast plate" tin that goes across the back of the engine, to the rear of the crank pulley. You can cut off the throttle cable and fuel line, disconnect the electrical wires; pull the engine rearwards off the transmission shaft and the 2 lower studs that hold it to the transmission. You could drag a tire below the engine before you pull it so that it has a cushioned landing. Then figure out how to pull the engine out from under the car. That free gantry/crane would work well to lift the back of the car up about 3' so you could pull the engine straight back.

Then find a 6' long board like a 2 x 6 to slide the engine up onto your wheelbarrow, or just tilt up the rear of the engine using the tailpipe as leverage, enough to get the front lip of the wheelbarrow bed under it. Put your weight onto the wheelbarrow handles to tip the bed and engine up and back into the bed. Look around the inside of the car and its trunk in case there are other loose engine parts stored there.
Roadbeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bradley GT popped up at the junkyard Reply with quote

Sad to see a Bradley in that shape. I agree, the lack of windshield availability is probably why it's there.
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bradley GT popped up at the junkyard Reply with quote

Anyluck getting the car out. Mind sharing what yard it was?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: