Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

James Deans Porsche
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDKG wrote:
They found it!

http://www.volocars.com/1955-porsche-550-spyder-ja...c-1219.htm

well, eh...... Confused

Laughing

Geeze, $19,000 for a dubious-quality kit car on a '68 pan. I love the engine just hanging inside that rear shell with no air ducting at all!
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the vendor's at the 52nd Annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance this past weekend had an early Porsche transaxle displayed in and open wooden crate, perched about 7 feet up on a shelf. complete with sign that boldly claimed "From James Dean's 550 Spyder".

I couldn't help myself, I asked the young guy maning the booth on Sunday if anyone had been hurt moving that haunted crate... yet...

this is what he said... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stevepi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Simon wrote:
One of the vendor's at the 52nd Annual Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance this past weekend had an early Porsche transaxle displayed in and open wooden crate, perched about 7 feet up on a shelf. complete with sign that boldly claimed "From James Dean's 550 Spyder".

I couldn't help myself, I asked the young guy maning the booth on Sunday if anyone had been hurt moving that haunted crate... yet...

this is what he said... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Laughing I'm not surprised, that "curse" is BS..... Very Happy
andy rowe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Barris BS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dropped Metal Customs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got told that some hollywood mob guy has it, wants to rebody the car and has the engine. then wants to make a movie from the passengers (deans mechanic) point of view

this is only what ive been told;)
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongMooie wrote:
.....then wants to make a movie .....

Fiction movies do quite well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
copellos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ask about the dean spyder on the 356 list
some one sent me a email that the car body is in a storage unit somwhere in so cal and this person knows spec where .
clark a told me that the engine and trany and running gear are in different places.and the pink is owned by somone else. and thats why no one will make it public.
i dont blame them its a very valu. car. and i guess he who holds the pink
gets everything if it ever surfaces.

it should be restored and placed in the porsche mus.

or giving to me .. hehe
my kids wil love going thru taco bell in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andy rowe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it was scrapped years ago,i know the engine and tranny are about but i doubt theres anything else.i would bet all i have that when im 70 years old there will still be stories about where his spyder is Wink
JonFelsinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: James Deans Porsche Reply with quote

I just found this on the Porsche registry... dated June 16, 2018.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy rowe wrote:
George Barris BS.

George was a showman & salesman, is brother was the Artist.
After is brother died, George had any number of talented people work for him.
It's easy to say that guys like George Barris or Boyd Coddington where BS Artist.
But these guys started the shops that gave so many talented people like
Jack Chisenhall, Larry Erickson, Chip Foose, & Jesse James an opportunity to develop their craft.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: James Deans Porsche Reply with quote

saw this on BAT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/gearbox/
Quote:
4-Speed Transaxle from James Dean’s 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder
CURRENT BID: $100,000 ENDS IN: 10 days

Quote:
his four-speed manual transaxle is said to have been part of James Dean’s 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder, from which it was separated at an unknown point following his deadly accident in September 1955. The transaxle was reportedly stored for several decades prior to acquisition from Massachusetts by its current owner in 2020. It is now fitted to a steel display stand with axles, axle tubes, drum brake assemblies, and a starter. This 550 Spyder transaxle is offered by the seller on behalf of its current owner in New York with a copy of a letter from Porsche verifying its origin and a documentation file.
Warner Brothers had barred James Dean from motorsport activities while filming the movie Giant during the summer of 1955. With production of the film nearing completion, Dean made plans to replace his Speedster with a new 550 Spyder in order to further his efforts in SCCA racing. On September 21, 1955, he purchased chassis 550-0055 from Competition Motors in Hollywood, California and soon had the number 130 applied to its body as well as the nickname “Little Bastard.” Dean was killed in a traffic accident on the afternoon of September 30 while piloting his new car to a race in Salinas, California
The wrecked car was reportedly sold by Dean’s insurance company to another Southern California racer, and the transaxle was later separated from the vehicle before being placed in storage for several decades. The piece was acquired by its current owner in March 2020, and is now installed on a steel display stand that rolls on casters.
The transaxle features a split magnesium case designed to house four forward gears and reverse as well as a differential. The display also features a hydraulically-activated clutch release lever, swing-axle tubes, aluminum drum brake assemblies, and a starter motor.
Serial number stamping 10 046 is shown above, while a Volkswagen logo and 113 301 102 part number casting are pictured in the gallery below.
A copy of a 1983 letter from Dagmar Rechkemmer at Porsche to automotive historian Bob Devlin confirms that gearbox number 10 046 was originally fitted to a 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder with chassis number 550-0055 and engine number 90 059.

The registration certificate above lists Dean’s Spyder under engine number P90059 and was issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles on October 5, 1955, six days after his death. A case of file folders containing additional documents is included in the sale.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: James Deans Porsche Reply with quote

are these 2 pics really the same damaged car?

Scorpion1110
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: James Deans Porsche Reply with quote

The Trans went for $386k on BAT.

There were +1000 comments. One of the comments said that when Barris had the car, he started working on straightening it before he gave up. If true, that's probably why the original wreck looks far worse than the display.

Dave
hoffvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: James Deans Porsche Reply with quote

Not seen this angle before. It's a screen cap from a video on this page: https://amp.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/slo-weird/article218724370.html.

The rear subframe looks to be one of the few things not totally mangled.
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: James Deans Porsche Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
are these 2 pics really the same damaged car?

Front driver's side rim looks to have the same bend at lip. Picture 1 & 2.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: James Deans Porsche Reply with quote

not the same car...the display car is another wrecked porsche that barris grafted various bits of deans car onto...it later disappeared("was stolen") so no one could identify it as a fraud
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: James Deans Porsche Reply with quote

vw (o\!/o) nut wrote:
Here's a good start.

http://members.aol.com/jaydeebee1/memorial.html

For those coming to this thread since the original AOL-based link is dead, here's a link to The Wayback Machine's archive of that page:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050204104346/http://members.aol.com/jaydeebee1/memorial.html

*October '54 Ragtop
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: