Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A professor from Suny Maritime College called my shop, they are searching for it for a project they are working on. Possibly in the south Berkshire County or bordering NY state area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

I expect if someone knew they had the Arlo Guthrie bus, they'd have let us all know. Good luck with the hunt!
boulderz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

I read that the bus was scrapped:

The red VW microbus Guthrie talks about in “Alice’s Restaurant” has officially been “relegated to history,” according to a post on his Facebook page this summer."
https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2015/08/26/...story.html

"The Microbus that Guthrie and Robbins used to dispose of the garbage was eventually scrapped;[8] the Guthrie Center later acquired a replica that Guthrie occasionally drives.[41]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice%27s_Restaurant

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Although now that I reread those links it doesn't exactly seem clear it was in fact scrapped...
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

I saw Arlo Guthrie in concert about 20 years ago. I hung out until everyone left and talked to him. I drove my splitty to the concert and tried to get him to autograph the dash of my bus. He had another show coming up and couldn't. But I did ask what happened to that bus, and he said it was scrapped many years ago. So I'm guessing it was scrapped in the 1980s. I did get some of my artwwork posters autographed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

I guess there is always the possibility that "scrapped" in this case means it was towed to somewhere and is rotting away under an apple tree.
Does anyone know what the significance was of the orange circle with the red triangle in it?
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
I guess there is always the possibility that "scrapped" in this case means it was towed to somewhere and is rotting away under an apple tree.
Does anyone know what the significance was of the orange circle with the red triangle in it?

According to the movie it was the logo for "Trinity Racing Association" a motorcycle racing organization. It has also been argued that it was a thinly veiled reference to the red triangles that the nazis made political prisoners wear in the concentration camps.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

FarmerBill wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:
According to the movie it was the logo for "Trinity Racing Association" a motorcycle racing organization. It has also been argued that it was a thinly veiled reference to the red triangles that the nazis made political prisoners wear in the concentration camps.
Kinda looks like the civil defense logo, but the triangle is upside down and the colors are different.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
madcitymcflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

Well, it was definitely a '66 or '67 Kombi....being "scrapped" in the 1980s was a common end for many splitties. One with a run-out engine, or worse, a bad trans would only bring $150 or so, if anyone even wanted it.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

madcitymcflyer wrote:
Well, it was definitely a '66 or '67 Kombi....being "scrapped" in the 1980s was a common end for many splitties. One with a run-out engine, or worse, a bad trans would only bring $150 or so, if anyone even wanted it.

east coast buses get nasty salt rust
ctrangie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

madcitymcflyer wrote:

The actual incident was 1965, so it would have been a 65 or earlier bus. They probably used a different bus in the film 4 years later.

I had an older guy stop me to talk about my bus last summer. He said he had a blue and white 67 in the 70s. He advertised it for sale in the local paper and Arlo showed up and drove it home.

They keep a red vanagon at the church now.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

If you look closely at the bus in the film, you can see it was repainted solid red. On the door jambs it's two-tone red and whitte.

Heinz Nordhoff
Combinations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

I live 5 minutes far from the Gutrhie Center, they don't have the split anymore. They have a red vw bus from the 90's now, same red with that same triangle. And yes if the split is somewhere in a field, it must be dead by now. The weather here is no good sitting vehicles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Znolstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

To Clarify for everyone, this is a research project which I am conducting for a class at Suny Maritime. The bus must be 65' or earlier because Arlo and his friend were arrested in 65. I spoke with Arlo Guthrie and according to him the movie had two busses for filming that had no relationship to the actual bus which was owned by Ray Brock, Alice's husband of the time. While the ultimate goal is to determine what happened to the original bus, if anyone can help me to identify the exact model and year of micro bus used in the movie, I would greatly appreciate it as well, because they are both important American Artifacts which had a very powerful impact on American culture.

Thanks, Zachary O.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

Judging by the bumpers 66 or 67.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

It is hard to definitively say what year Arlo's red bus was given that the original pics provided of it are so grainy.

(Bus nerd alert) Compounding the problem was that back in the day people weren't as concerned if their bus wasn't 100% year correct authentic (even the factory was not that concerned at hard stops and would typically use up old stock (bumpers, rims, innie/outie engine louvers, high hinge vs. low hinge cargo doors etc etc etc) on early models of the "new" year before transitioning to actual "new" features )

So for example if a bus got in a small accident and say needed a bumper replaced it might not end up being replaced with year correct bumper (see point vs. slash bumper ends)

Anyhow based on what has been presented on some grainy 50+ year old pictures the bus does indeed appear to be 66' or 67' based on the pointy bumper ends alone. Whether it is 66' or 67' gets harder to determine, a pic of the gas filler door, dash board or engine lid or back of bus would help get to the bottom of that.

Truthfully 99.5% of people would not know the difference anyway much less care quite likely between 66' or 67' bus or whether that red was factory original paint or a respray. They just want to see a cool old red bus that looks like the one in Alice's restaurant and have a trip down memory lane. Smile
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
I saw Arlo Guthrie in concert about 20 years ago. I hung out until everyone left and talked to him. I drove my splitty to the concert and tried to get him to autograph the dash of my bus. He had another show coming up and couldn't. But I did ask what happened to that bus, and he said it was scrapped many years ago. So I'm guessing it was scrapped in the 1980s. I did get some of my artwwork posters autographed.

Here is the rub, a maintained Bus would just keep running, and be used year round, until it rusted away.
Where as a Bus that stopped running, might be pulled into a shed or barn, for repair when ever they get around to it.
Arlo Guthrie likely saw the utility of a VW Bus, and had the money to maintain it,
and he didn't have significant personal issues that would have killed the Bus, unlike Jim Morrison' Blue Shelby Mustang.
So if Arlo said it was scrapped, it was scrapped.
As a kid I wondered around a lot of VW "junkyards" behind VW repair shops in the Northeast, in the 60's & 70's.
Most of those are gone too.

Link

Did he say "the blue bus is calling us"?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

Yep! That's what I hear too. "the blue Bus is calling us"...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

I have heard that the references to buses from the Doors, the Who and the Beatles Magical Mystery tour are all vaguely related to Ken Kesey's Furthur bus. I have never heard anything relating them to VW buses.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

The only famous songs I know with VW bus references, besides Arlo Guthrie's, are C.W. McCall's "Convoy" and Men at Work's "Down Under".
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Arlo Guthrie bus- Does anyone have any information on it? Reply with quote

yup no more old buses here in the northeast. they all rusted away. Nothing to see here. Wink
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: