Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High Pitched Sound - Coming From Brake Pedal Area
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikerneil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: High Pitched Sound - Coming From Brake Pedal Area Reply with quote

I have a 2003 Eurovan that I recently purchased. I have made a number of changes and improvements - but I have one current problem that I hope someone might know how to fix: when I drive I hear a very high pitched noise (almost like a squeal) coming from down near my brake pedal. If I tap on the brake pedal just a bit, the sound immediately stops. When I release my foot from the brake pedal it starts again....

Has anyone else experienced this high pitched squeal and is there an easy fix?

Thanks!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: High Pitched Sound - Coming From Brake Pedal Area Reply with quote

Slight brake pad squeak , probably In the front rotors.

No action required
hikerneil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: High Pitched Sound - Coming From Brake Pedal Area Reply with quote

The noise is not brake pad squeak. The squeal that I hear comes from inside the car, down near the brake pedal. The sound continues even after you park the car and for a few minutes after you turn the car off. You can stop the annoying sound by tapping the brake pedal. Again - the noise is present even when the car is not rolling.

One other point - the sound doesn't always happen. I drove the car this morning and did not hear the noise. It appears to occur more after the car has been driven for longer period of time. I'm wondering if it is some type of noise related to the hydraulic brake line??

Very annoying when it does happen..........
1994Karuso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: High Pitched Sound - Coming From Brake Pedal Area Reply with quote

Maybe a leak from the brake booster or check valve? Does it sound like air escaping?
hikerneil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: High Pitched Sound - Coming From Brake Pedal Area Reply with quote

It may be some type of air escaping - it is a very high pitched sound. And it continues after I turn the van off, and is not related to whether or not the cars wheels are turning.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: High Pitched Sound - Coming From Brake Pedal Area Reply with quote

Slight vacuum leak at shaft in brake booster, based on symptoms. Maybe try squirting a bit of water there to see if it goes away?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: High Pitched Sound - Coming From Brake Pedal Area Reply with quote

Our '01 has the same issue, I posted on it back a year or two ago while on a road trip. I think there was some sort of a module with air/vacuum connected to it that the brake pedal activates.

Mine only acts up once in awhile, usually on road trips. I haven't done anything about it yet. Would be interesting to know if you chase down what the actual issue is. There might be more information in the thread I started as well if you search my name for threads I've started you can find it.
VolksVelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: High Pitched Sound - Coming From Brake Pedal Area Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Slight brake pad squeak , probably In the front rotors.

No action required

Hi Abscate, sorry old post but I've been hearing this very slight squeaking sound a few times recently coming from the front. It's hard to tell the condition of the pads just by looking thru the wheel holes...should I be concerned? The pad wear light is not on.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: High Pitched Sound - Coming From Brake Pedal Area Reply with quote

You can’t trust that light to divulge brake pad condition because

1 it’s only on one wheel front back

b it only measures one pad side

iii chances are, by now Somoeone put cheap ads pads on and the sensor was bypassed

Pull the wheel and inspect
VolksVelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: High Pitched Sound - Coming From Brake Pedal Area Reply with quote

Thanks Abscate,

The pad looks great with the wheel removed.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: High Pitched Sound - Coming From Brake Pedal Area Reply with quote

DO the pads have the brake life squeal indicator? Low pads? Typically they will touch the rotor with at least a 1/3 of pad life left.

Our EVC have a electronic life indicator that will light up on the dash. On our 2002 all four corners have it. Been told that the older models only have the electronic indicators on the front pads.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: