Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy SO42 Roofrack and Garage clearance
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chamilka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Westy SO42 Roofrack and Garage clearance Reply with quote

Hi All,
My garage clearance is 84 inches (7 feet). I have a 1966/67 Split SO42 Westy. The bus is standard stock height with standard wheel/tires. I would like to install a Westfalia Roof rack (original dimensions) at the back section.
I would like to know if my bus be able to clear the garage with the roof rack.
If the Westy Rack does not fit my garage, I have look for a aftermarket low-profile one. Do you know someone who makes custom racks for our buses in SoCal area?

Thank you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy SO42 Roofrack and Garage clearance Reply with quote

We put our full rack on, when our SO 33 was inoperable - I think, I measured our 7' opening, against the height of the rack, on the bus and all was good - I think - I hope - z
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Westy SO42 Roofrack and Garage clearance Reply with quote

I'm afraid it is painfully close and may not fit. I've heard of guys taking air out of tires each time. My old garage had 7 ft doors and it did not work for me. I specifically used 8 ft doors when we built.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy SO42 Roofrack and Garage clearance Reply with quote

I searched the Forum and someone else said you need 83.5" of clearance

This thread asking about pop-top clearance:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=602836

I found another person saying the rack is 450mm high total (450mm = 17.7")

Found this too:
AlteWagen wrote:
A= 5.5
B= 63.5
C= 18

In this photo:
A + B + C = 87" or 7' 3"

I measured my 1963 15-Window and my 1962 Westy rack (not mounted on the Bus) and I got:

A = 5"
B = 63.5"
C = 16.5"
Total = 85" or 7' 1"

My C measurement could be a little short as I'm not sure I got the full height of the top bow.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Westy SO42 Roofrack and Garage clearance Reply with quote

I had a westy rack on a bus and it did not go in a 7' garage door. I had to deflate the tires, stock suspension etc. Bay window westy rack legs should work to lower it enough.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Westy SO42 Roofrack and Garage clearance Reply with quote

I hope someone could post those shorter bay westy rack legs. I have the same problem. buseric is that 1" shorter? There used to be some lower profile racks by Pedro (not sure of the name spelling)? But I don't think they are available any longer.

buseric wrote:
I had a westy rack on a bus and it did not go in a 7' garage door. I had to deflate the tires, stock suspension etc. Bay window westy rack legs should work to lower it enough.

Wow Everett, I remember that thread. Great info, I ended up propping my garage door up 3" more with a 2x4 to avoid touching the poptop. But I have yet to install my rack and may buy some Bay Westfalia legs.

EverettB wrote:
I searched the Forum and someone else said you need 83.5" of clearance

This thread asking about pop-top clearance:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=602836

I found another person saying the rack is 450mm high total (450mm = 17.7")

Found this too:
AlteWagen wrote:
A= 5.5
B= 63.5
C= 18

In this photo:
A + B + C = 87" or 7' 3"

I measured my 1963 15-Window and my 1962 Westy rack (not mounted on the Bus) and I got:

A = 5"
B = 63.5"
C = 16.5"
Total = 85" or 7' 1"

My C measurement could be a little short as I'm not sure I got the full height of the top bow.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Miskeroo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Westy SO42 Roofrack and Garage clearance Reply with quote

I use a 2x4 also. If I support the centre of my double wide garage door, it will give me the clearance needed to drive my 66 So42 pop top Westy, with a rear rack, into the garage.
My bus is stock height and the garage is standard height, around 7 ft.

I even measured a few times with a bar and level. It didn’t appear as though it would fit, but I drove in slowly, with a friend on a ladder observing, and luckily all was good.

One other option it to remove the trim at the top of the opening. The garage door is usually taller than the opening and you can sometimes gain a couple inches.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy SO42 Roofrack and Garage clearance Reply with quote

My 21 had to wait for it's rack until I installed drop spindles and an IRS.
It missed the mark by 1/2".Every garage is different and it may also depend on the type of garage door you have, age of home, and construction. I installed the rack W/O the top luggage bars for about a year. My wife's rack is fine, for that I am grateful.
barfsurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy SO42 Roofrack and Garage clearance Reply with quote

It's super close, and it might just barely work. I've got a stock height '66 kombi, and added a repro Westy rack not too long ago. I had to remove a bit of garage trim, but it fits. See this IG post to see just how close:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRXXQt_McsP/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I just measured the clearance of my garage opening, and it came it at 6' 11 5/16" - so just shy of 7'. So stock height of the bus + roof rack must be just over 6'11.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy SO42 Roofrack and Garage clearance Reply with quote

Miskeroo wrote:
I use a 2x4 also. If I support the centre of my double wide garage door, it will give me the clearance needed to drive my 66 So42 pop top Westy, with a rear rack, into the garage.

I even measured a few times with a bar and level. It didn’t appear as though it would fit, but I drove in slowly, with a friend on a ladder observing, and luckily all was good.

One other option it to remove the trim at the top of the opening. The garage door is usually taller than the opening and you can sometimes gain a couple inches.

That is not an og westy rack by the looks of it so cant be used as a reference. I was referring to a real split rack on a stock westy (susp, tires etc).

I have bay window legs. I can measure them and compare to a regular subhatch rack.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy SO42 Roofrack and Garage clearance Reply with quote

This might get the job done if your not concerned with looks.

https://nlavw.com/home/12-classic-roof-rack-for-vw-t2-t25-tin-top.html

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Westy SO42 Roofrack and Garage clearance Reply with quote

buseric can you describe how you can tell that is not an OG rack? Your eyes are amazing.

buseric wrote:
Miskeroo wrote:

That is not an og westy rack by the looks of it so cant be used as a reference. I was referring to a real split rack on a stock westy (susp, tires etc).

I have bay window legs. I can measure them and compare to a regular subhatch rack.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Westy SO42 Roofrack and Garage clearance Reply with quote

@linda.
Bows on SO42 racks are curved.
That’s flat with curved outer pieces.
Once you see. You cannot unsee.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Westy SO42 Roofrack and Garage clearance Reply with quote

Beware, the door opening itself was not the limiting factor for my Bay pop-top Westy.

Part of the travelling mechanism of the roll-up door was the low point. I cleared it, but barely.

If I had to, I could have trimmed the end of the standard bracketry to get another inch or so, but it wasn't necessary in my case.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy SO42 Roofrack and Garage clearance Reply with quote

SplitBusVanatic wrote:
@linda.

True. That rack is all flat on top. Westy baskets have curved front and rear tubes.

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Westy SO42 Roofrack and Garage clearance Reply with quote

Excellent thanks so much Clara and SplitBusVanatic, excellent explanation & visuals.

Clara wrote:
SplitBusVanatic wrote:
@linda.

True. That rack is all flat on top. Westy baskets have curved front and rear tubes.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy SO42 Roofrack and Garage clearance Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Beware, the door opening itself was not the limiting factor for my Bay pop-top Westy.

Part of the travelling mechanism of the roll-up door was the low point. I cleared it, but barely.

If I had to, I could have trimmed the end of the standard bracketry to get another inch or so, but it wasn't necessary in my case.

Yes.
If this is the case, talk to your local garage door people, about getting a 'high lift' garage door, so the door fully clears the opening. Unfortunately that costs money to get a garage door installed, but if you are doing that anyway keep it in mind.
Or sometimes you can adjust your door so it opens a bit more.
Sometimes half an inch is the difference between clearing the bus and not.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: