Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Trunk Release - One year only design?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: 1968 Trunk Release - One year only design? Reply with quote

My early 68 has yet another unique feature only on 68's.
Whoever did the body restoration on my beetle compromised the guide tube for my trunk release so it doesn't take the nice gradual curve to the latch. I'm guessing they messed it up while changing the fender.
It's a pretty rigid tube that isn't easy to shape.
To add to it they riveted the latch in place with some big assed pop rivets.

As we know 68 introduced the release button but the cable still comes out on the driver's side.
1969 they brought it to the glove box as they probably realized the trunk doesn't open every time you add fuel.

Is there a place to get the proper tube and cable because it's Murphy's law that the cable will one day break and I'll be screwed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Trunk Release - One year only design? Reply with quote

Most of the parts suppliers have those parts. Easy to get. 68 is a one year only on the hood operating parts.

The big rivets, on the catch, were OEM.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Trunk Release - One year only design? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Most of the parts suppliers have those parts. Easy to get. 68 is a one year only on the hood operating parts.

Plenty of sources for the cable.
Not so much for the steel tube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Trunk Release - One year only design? Reply with quote

I can't help you on finding the tube you need but you might want to check out what I did on my '69.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692980&highlight=

Could possibly help someday.

ol' mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Trunk Release - One year only design? Reply with quote

Steel tube? How about an appropriate sized brake metal brake line and bend it to your needs.

Or use a motorcycle/bicycle brake cable ad a full replacement or just rob the guide sleeve tube from it
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Trunk Release - One year only design? Reply with quote

Bug53 wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Plenty of sources for the cable.
Not so much for the steel tube.

The steel tubing is available. Measure it. Then go to Google and type the size into the search bar. If you want to match it 100%, you will need to measure it in metric units. Millimeters to be exact.

I just went through this on my 54, with all of the tubing within the tunnel. I purchased the tubing from McMaster Carr
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Trunk Release - One year only design? Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Steel tube? How about an appropriate sized brake metal brake line and bend it to your needs.

Or use a motorcycle/bicycle brake cable ad a full replacement or just rob the guide sleeve tube from it

The 68 and earlier cars have a solid steel cable not stranded like a motorcycle.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Trunk Release - One year only design? Reply with quote

Bug53 wrote:
AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

The 68 and earlier cars have a solid steel cable not stranded like a motorcycle.

Sorry I'm not familiar with that set up and it was unclear what part they had boogers up.

Then also order some steel wire too and cut to your needs. I'd probably just get stainless to avoid rusting

https://www.mcmaster.com/stainless-steel-wire/
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Trunk Release - One year only design? Reply with quote

My tube is missing on the 1968. Can someone tell me what the OD of the tube is? I have nothing to measure.

I removed the tube to repair some of the body and I cannot find it anywhere. Crying or Very sad
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Trunk Release - One year only design? Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
My tube is missing on the 1968. Can someone tell me what the OD of the tube is? I have nothing to measure.

I removed the tube to repair some of the body and I cannot find it anywhere. Crying or Very sad

The piece that was stubbed into my interior happened to be the same size as 3/8" copper plumbing tubing which comes in short rolls of 10 or 25ft. at Home Depot.
I used a 3/8" compression to couple them, bent to tubing with a nice gradual bend down to the latch and held it in place with one strap just past the tank.
It is smooth a silk and easy to get lube into later.

The original Steel tube was not bent too smoothly by whoever installed it and the latch never returned without pushing it back in. Now it's great.
hulbyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Trunk Release - One year only design? Reply with quote

viiking wrote:

OD is 9mm.

Cheers
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Trunk Release - One year only design? Reply with quote

hulbyw wrote:
viiking wrote:

OD is 9mm.

Cheers

9mm=.354 (20 thousandths of an inch less than 3/8")
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Trunk Release - One year only design? Reply with quote

hulbyw wrote:
viiking wrote:

OD is 9mm.

Cheers

Thanks mate!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: