Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 155, 156, 157 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

blue72beetle wrote:
Finally got around to installing my new door panels. That was kind of a pain...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Your new door panels look much better than most of the reproductions out there. I've not seen any like these with the chrome strips. Very sharp. Who sells them?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

Your new door panels look much better than most of the reproductions out there. I've not seen any like these with the chrome strips. Very sharp. Who sells them?

An ebay seller in Germany
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730025
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Those are really nice. I wish the seller shipped to the US Sad
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

blue72beetle wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

An ebay seller in Germany
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730025

Oh yes, I remember this thread. They look real nice. Curious, I don't see them on eBay anymore? Maybe shipping from Germany would make it hard to sell?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

My RHD Ghia is getting a new beam - adjustable - for compliance purposes. We ordered a 2" narrowed beam, but the standard beam arrived weeks later. It's a LHD beam, so there will be some cutting and welding required. We'll just have to make it work.

First step: scuff and paint with POR equivalent. Second coat later today.

overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

My 2" narrowed adjustable beam came in today. It came with narrowed torsion bars installed and a set of narrowed tie rods with new ends. Complete with shipping for $513.

I am headed down the Cal Look path so I am waiting on the backordered Michelin XZX tires due in at the end of the month from Coker Tire. I am mounting them on a set of factory set of fully polished Fuchs 2L alloys with brand new factory caps and chromed lugs.

Plans are dropping the nose about 2.5"-3" and see what the stance looks like.

While I wait for the tires to make the transformation, I bought a cheap set of EMPI beauty rings and threw them on my stock steelies. It looks much better to me than the painted wheels.

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Looks great already, can't wait to see it tricked out Cal style with the 2 Liters and dropped nose! Question, because I can't remember, if you use dropped spindles then use the adjusters to lower more, do you need to put shims between the beam and tunnel? I seem to remember that being the case to get the proper alignment or something. If so, do you put on the upper and lower or just the lower?

Also, who did you buy your beam from?
Thanks, Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Looks great already, can't wait to see it tricked out Cal style with the 2 Liters and dropped nose! Question, because I can't remember, if you use dropped spindles then use the adjusters to lower more, do you need to put shims between the beam and tunnel? I seem to remember that being the case to get the proper alignment or something. If so, do you put on the upper and lower or just the lower?

Also, who did you buy your beam from?
Thanks, Jeff

I got my narrowed adjustable beam from Kustom1Warehouse.net out of Santa Fe Springs, CA. Great surf rat like us from the 90's. One thing I liked about their beam was it shipped with the narrowed torsion bars installed. (one less thing I have to try to make fit)

The narrowed EMPI adjustable beam will go down as far as 3.5 inches so I am thinking this is all I need. The drop spindles put the inside of the wheel drum so close to the lower ball joint it just creeps me out so I avoided those. You could get an additional 2.5" drop with the drop spindles added but I am not going with the slammed teenager look on airbags.

Because the angle of the front trailing arms being so high in the lowered position, the caster will be the only part of the alignment that may be out of range but I will wait to see how it handles. Most of my driving with this current engine is about 35 MPH to the ice cream store and back so it may not be any drama.

Last edited by overboost on Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
rbsurfguy wrote:
Looks great already, can't wait to see it...
Thanks, Jeff

The narrowed EMPI adjustable beam will go down as far as 3.5 inches so I am thinking is is all I need. The drop spindles put the inside of the wheel drum so close to the lower ball joint it just creeps me out so I avoided those. You could get an additional 2.5" drop with the drop spindles added but I am not going with the slammed teenager look on airbags.

The issue you mention is precisely why I'm removing the 2" drop spindles I have and replacing the beam as well. The drop spindles cause the lower ball joint too close to the inside of the wheel drums. Ons some wheels - like my Porsche 2 liters - you can't fit the wheel at all.

Chris M
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
overboost wrote:
rbsurfguy wrote:
Thanks, Jeff

The narrowed EMPI adjustable beam will go down as far as 3.5 inches so I am thinking is is all I need. The drop spindles put the inside of the wheel drum so close to the lower ball joint it just creeps me out so I avoided those. You could get an additional 2.5" drop with the drop spindles added but I am not going with the slammed teenager look on airbags.

The issue you mention is precisely why I'm removing the 2" drop spindles I have and replacing the beam as well. The drop spindles cause the lower ball joint too close to the inside of the wheel drums. Ons some wheels - like my Porsche 2 liters - you can't fit the wheel at all.

Chris M

Are your Fuchs 2L wheels reps or NOS? I know the reps have some different offsets than NOS. My NOS Fuchs are ET41 offset.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Some info on caster shims, for your upcoming lowered front suspension: http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?cPath=384_2917
Shortly after I bought my '77 Std Beetle (has same front beam as a '66 and later Ghia) in 1991 on which the PO had installed a lowered beam, I bought a pair of the Berg 2.36 degree shims and installed them onto the lower supports. Car has been very stable at higher highway speeds.
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Some info on caster shims, for your upcoming lowered front suspension: http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?cPath=384_2917
Shortly after I bought my '77 Std Beetle (has same front beam as a '66 and later Ghia) in 1991 on which the PO had installed a lowered beam, I bought a pair of the Berg 2.36 degree shims and installed them onto the lower supports. Car has been very stable at higher highway speeds.
Thanks Rome. I might need to go with shims, I see them on most all of the supply houses. For now it's simply getting it down and checking the ride for harshness and stability. I forgot to mention I got a set of front shocks to accommodate the lowering. 10.27" compressed. I can get to over 3" drop without bottoming out.
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

First week spent getting the car prepped for new heater channels and left dogleg. Week 2 will be getting the bracing in place. Pans are solid and fairly sure that the chassis has no issues.

lesmanthe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Contemplated welding or bolting in new seats.

I bought a 1966 KG from a kid out of town and when a friend began to remove the paint to give it a new paint job, found it had extensive Bondo, the frame had been bent in an accident. My dad's friend bolted it to the garage floor to the work it straight again. That mostly worked.

Folks started having medical challenges and it ended up in a storage container for 12 years. We brought it out in 2019 and I looked you guys up and asked questions about modernizing it a bit. We ended up replacing the suspension, brakes, and I got the idea to make it into a SubaGhia or TeslaGhia and chose to go the Subi route. Andy, whom I met via here, (SubiSquared) did a phenomenal job with the engine, muffler, and radiator.

A gentleman I met at church did a great job with the body and finishing the frame, (It is still slightly higher on the driver side.) going so far as to replace light cups, welding in one used fender and a new nose. He did great! He recently passed.

His paint pealed on the nose and boot and I had to acquire a new painter who has since made it look like an incredibly shiny black licorice jelly bean. It looks amazing!

Oh, we had to replace the floor plans and when we did, I discovered the seat rails were no longer there. In the same week, someone wrecked their 2003 Jetta and told me I could have the entire interior if I would like. I did.

I say all that to ask this, the Jetta seats were bolted into their frame. I don't know a welder and am wondering bolting the Jetta seats into the thicker flat sides of the pan would be suffient and safe.

Thoughts?
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
rbsurfguy wrote:
Thanks, Jeff

Chris M

Are your Fuchs 2L wheels reps or NOS? I know the reps have some different offsets than NOS. My NOS Fuchs are ET41 offset.

No, I have Perdrinis off a 914 Porsche.

Last edited by kiwighia68 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
overboost wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
rbsurfguy wrote:
Thanks, Jeff

Chris M

No, I have Perdrinis off a 014 Porsche.

Good to know, thanks! I am guessing my Fuchs wouldn't have fit either on drop spindles.
kg142
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Can anybody help me with the correct rear window shape for a 1964 seen both shapes on per 67 cars? Who produces what shape?

Thanks for any help

Iain
cruiser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Iain, I recall this extremely nice example from several years ago. This might help answer some of your questions:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=688264
Car32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Added Porsche Phone Dials

15x6 with 52.3mm offset and 195 50R 15 tires

Wheels rub lower ball joints and I'm grinding the wheels gradually to reduce the rubbing.

1971 Karmann Ghia Coupe
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Car32 wrote:
Added Porsche Phone Dials

15x6 with 52.3mm offset and 195 50R 15 tires

Wheels rub lower ball joints and I'm grinding the wheels gradually to reduce the rubbing.

Looks fantastic! Are you running drop spindles?

Also, is that a narrowed beam or just the wheel offset?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 155, 156, 157 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 156 of 166

Jump to: