Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

No real updates, I've gotten busy with other things. I did have a chance to run down to the junkyard today and scored some parts. I got a replacement headlight bucket to replace the swiss cheesed one. I got cool accessories too, I found some front bumper guards, they were a pain to get off, they met my friend the saws-all Laughing I got some rain guards. T4 heater box, and some other westy parts, some to sell, some to keep.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

No progress still, I’m finishing up the bug still but thought I’d share some pictures. Also, I ran into Robbie today at Many Glacier Inn, it was cool to get to chat with him and inspired me to post up some pictures

A while back I scored some solid heater boxes and Webber’s at a VW show

And all my VWs lined up

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

^^ i would make your profle pic this
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
No progress still, I’m finishing up the bug still but thought I’d share some pictures. Also, I ran into Robbie today at Many Glacier Inn, it was cool to get to chat with him and inspired me to post up some pictures

A while back I scored some solid heater boxes and Webber’s at a VW show

And all my VWs lined up

I am comforted that the World will be in good hands of young guys like you. If you ever on a date, and she says …don’t torque the oil bolt more than9 foot pounds, get down on one knee and marry her, right there.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Yeah so I'm cracking open my beer in Glacier National Park, and I hear a voice from behind me, "you're Robbie with Air-Schooled, right?"

The 2016 Barbarians at The Gate are The Establishment now, and there are new Barbarians at The Gate.

Looks like I'll be out of a job pretty soon… It was great chatting with you Aiden, I hope to see this bus in person soon enough, out there racking up miles like it should.

See you on the road,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Yeah so I'm cracking open my beer in Glacier National Park, and I hear a voice from behind me, "you're Robbie with Air-Schooled, right?"

The 2016 Barbarians at The Gate are The Establishment now, and there are new Barbarians at The Gate.

Looks like I'll be out of a job pretty soon… It was great chatting with you Aiden, I hope to see this bus in person soon enough, out there racking up miles like it should.

See you on the road,
Robbie

It was a crazy coincidence, my parents said they saw a VW bus drive by from our rooms deck and told me so a ran into the parking lot to see. It was a later Westfalia and the owners had already left so I went back and my parents said they were headed to the back deck so I went there and sat with them telling them about the bus, I look over and there’s a dude in a orange jacket sitting next to us that looks just like Robbie, and then I hear car talk and “bus” mentioned so I figured I should ask. Well it was! At first you seemed a little thrown off by a stranger that knew who you were Laughing

It was awesome getting to talk to you for a while! I wish we could have talked longer! Hopefully the bus will be on the road soon for its second chapter, the first one seemed to be a great adventure and I hope the next one is too Cool

Hope to see you again soon, Aiden
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I am comforted that the World will be in good hands of young guys like you. If you ever on a date, and she says …don’t torque the oil bolt more than9 foot pounds, get down on one knee and marry her, right there.

Thank you! That means a lot! Hopefully I will find a girl like that one day Very Happy
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

You should talk to Robbie and open a Michigan chapter of airschooled.
The attitude to grieving any business isn’t dividing the pie, but figuring out his to make more pies
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You should talk to Robbie and open a Michigan chapter of airschooled.
The attitude to grieving any business isn’t dividing the pie, but figuring out his to make more pies

That would definitely be pretty cool Cool

I finally was able to start on the bus again. First progress update in 7 months! Shocked I have my beetle in a good spot right now where I can’t do much more for the time being so I pulled the bus out. It’s been sitting in a harbor Freight canopy shed, which leaked on it and made a green house in there Mad so there was rust on the areas I had blasted and a layer of mold on the interior. I was able to scrape off the layer of it with a putty knife Sick

So today I got back to body work. I sanded down the filler I had put on the rear quarters, door and front nose. I also blocked the sliding door and passenger side door and they are both very straight overall. I used a belt sander to eat through the Duraglass body filler as it’s super tough. I got most all the duraglass sanded down to put softer filler over. I used the duraglass over my welds as it adds strength and is water proof. Then in the rear quarters I put filler on and sanded it. I got the rear quarters pretty close to straight.

My tools of “destruction” Twisted Evil

I also got the front floor cleaned up as water had pooled and caused surface rust.

webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Lookin good Cool

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

webberjames95 wrote:
Lookin good Cool

Thank you!

Yesterday I did a bit of body work on the rear quarters and was going back and forth with rock auto on my 7 month old ball joints that the boots already degraded on

Today I worked blasting the rust off that formed from sitting and a bunch of other rust. I found some Swiss cheese but that was about all of it. A few holes in window bottoms I welded up today too.

Then I re-primed the engine compartment and front floors

I little drawing I did dreaming of future camping adventures Very Happy

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Got a little work done today. I’m working on doing some more metal repair on the right headlight bucket. I cut out the rusted out parts out along with my previous repair as I got donor metal to better repair it. I was going to patch the bucket but I realized it was only held in with 6 spot welds so I’m going to replace it and clean the rust out of the seam. I was able to get the repair piece bucket out.

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Today I got the patch piece for the headlight surround cut to fit and removed the old bucket. I got it welded in place along with the bucket itself

Then I decided to fix the right rear side marker holes. The patch piece I used for the corner was from a bus that had the rear corner replaced before and they ran screws all the way through the pieces of the light. In the first picture I had already opened up the one hole for it. I cut a template out of a junk corner I had. Then I ran a bolt through the bug hole and used it for an alignment pin. Then I drilled the holes for the clips and used an fixed the big hole so it was properly sized. In the last picture i decided to leave the hole circled in red, it was from the previous screw

Then the last of the rust

These spots on both sides had some bad rust. I think from leaking seals and moisture being held against it. Then I got a patch piece made for it. I also noticed as I cut up the metal that you can see where the water splashed through the drain hole and rust the metal when I folded it back

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Today I worked on getting the roof sanded down. (I think) At some point a tree branch fell on it and when it was removed scratched the crap out of the paint and went down through to metal so there was tons of little rust dots

I spent about half my day on top of the bus Very Happy Laughing

I was doing some seat ID/ clean up and here’s my new ride, might have more power than the bus Laughing

DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Very inspiring to see how much work you put into your projects! Bus camping is very rewarding, especially with all the effort put into them.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

DocNexil wrote:
Very inspiring to see how much work you put into your projects! Bus camping is very rewarding, especially with all the effort put into them.

Thank you! I’m so excited to go camping (hopefully) in the spring with friends, maybe even a late season ski trip Question

Today I got some more blading done and tried out some ospho and I’m going to how it turns out. Some of the rust just would come off even with the blaster. Mainly stuff in the window channels. No real exciting pictures to add. But I did find a few more rust pin holes Laughing
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

Got some work done cleaned up some spots where I treated it with ospho. The ospho works good. When it neutralizes the rust it also makes it come off the surface much easier and helped get the metal a lot cleaner in spots.

Then I sanded off all the white from the belt line to the drip rail. The white paint is failing so I wanted it to all go. I also got the nose sanded along with the sliding and passenger doors so those are ready. I still have a bit more to sand for paint but it’s more roughing up the surface so it shouldn’t take too long. I kinda like the all yellow look

DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

How much paint does something that big take? Are you painting it yourself? The progress looks great! I'm taking notes for when I begin working on my paint. I will only be doing the exterior, though.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

DocNexil wrote:
How much paint does something that big take? Are you painting it yourself? The progress looks great! I'm taking notes for when I begin working on my paint. I will only be doing the exterior, though.

I have no clue how much Laughing I’m guessing I will go through a couple gallons with paint and primer. I am going to paint it myself, probably just in the driveway. The paint I got flows really well so I way spray the primer on and just brush the paint depending on the time of the year if I can spray it. I measured it out and the roof is about 80sqft so I’d guess the entire bus outside is around 200-250sqft. I am just going to brush paint the inside parts. I’m only doing the floor since I had to clean the rust up on them but I will leave the rest OG paint. Then I’m brush painting the engine compartment because you can d a lot better job getting in the crevices that you can’t reach with a spray gun. The main objective for this paint job is to stop the bus from rusting and then look decent. Good luck on yours! If you are redoing some body work and prepping it all yourself you are going to probably have to spend a couple weeks/months doing it, there is so much to prep.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: The 447th 1972 bus, A Sierra Yellow Westfalia Tin top build Reply with quote

All this time spent on the body and you’re going to put the paint on with a brush?

After all the money you just spent, what’s another $100 on a gravity fed pneumatic paint gun?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 20

Jump to: