Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dan's '65 Dormobile project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

zuggbug wrote:
ThatVWGuy wrote:
pyrOman wrote:
I need to replace my vinyl soon too! Sad

How much $$$ was it and where exactly did you get it? Confused

http://www.dormobile.co.uk/

Don’t recall the exact price but in the neighborhood of $500. Shipping is a major consideration. Make sure you order everything you need the first time.

Me and a friend of mine ordered two tops from dormobile UK about three years ago, we both installed them, what a pain. I sold mine shortly after, but my buddy still has his. His seams split in less than a year from install. I emailed dormobile about it and they sent me some rubber cement.. my buddy is not happy at all wiith the quality or the response from dormobile.

Best of luck and I hope you do not have any problems with your new top

Think

(There I go doing that thinking again! Rolling Eyes )

Anyway, at that rate $$$, maybe I should look into having some local "marine outfit" give it a try and for how much would they be willing to do it!?! Confused

Also on ^^that^^ note, I'm considering a tuneau cover for the Plump truck so maybe strike some kind of deal there! Anxious
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

i did a tonneau cover on my 61 crewcab years ago, had it done by a company that makes tarps for big trucks, worked great. Keeps stuff dry and out of sight. and it comes off in under 5 minutes. used to roll it up at the cab, just had them put some extra straps to hold it rolled up.

double it up at the front so it attaches to the cargo panel at the back and lays over the lip to keep the water out. Mine just had a lead rod in a pocket. Perfectly dry.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel

Last edited by mandraks on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

I spent the last four days in Florida visiting my baby granddaughter and going to Bulli Brigade so not a lot of progress this weekend. I did have my new accelerator linkage waiting for me when I got home today. Between this piece and the Sync-link carb linkage (bought both off the Samba) I have all new, updated, accelerator and carburetor linkage from the gas pedal back. Took it out on a test drive after installing the linkage today and man it is smooth. Never had such a smooth pedal in a bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Mas verde en Marathon Reply with quote

Whatta beaut! Looking forward to seeing this'n at BBBB3. Hope you get the winda situation sorted.
Naturally the confusion likely to result from two Dans present cannot be overstated.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Mas verde en Marathon Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
Whatta beaut! Looking forward to seeing this'n at BBBB3. Hope you get the winda situation sorted.
Naturally the confusion likely to result from two Dans present cannot be overstated.

We also have to Picassos! Pablo and You Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Mas verde en Marathon Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:
&Dan wrote:

We also have to Picassos! Pablo and You Smile

Already my poor head is spinning.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

Only six weeks tell blast off.
It will be great to see our friends in Marathon again.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

I’m at that point in the restoration where there shouldn’t be any more four digit expenses...but it seems like there are three digit expenses every other day. Crying or Very sad
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:
Only six weeks tell blast off.
It will be great to see our friends in Marathon again.

Wow, where was/is this? That is one helluva scenic drive!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

That photo ^^^ was taken in Dec. 2015 by my son in his bus, my blue single cab is up ahead. We had left Alpine TX in the morning and were headed due south on highway 118 on our way to Terlingua, on our way to Big Bend Ranch State Park for some camping and off road driving. The night before we had been the guest of &dan and his neighbors.

Camping near the Rio Grande River and the TX Mex border.

It was a great trip. Dec. 26 to 30 this year is our next trip.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

ThatVWGuy wrote:

You probably noticed the icebox / cooler. I was at Paul Smiths event at Lake Belton and somebody had one of them, a vintage Colman upright cooler, and that just seemed like the ticket for me. A week or two later I found a nice one at a good price on Ebay and I was set. For the last few years it has been held in with a coat hanger wrapper around the seat belt bolt and another to the caro door check strap pin but when the bus is complete I intend to have a couple leather straps holding it in place.

Cool!
I have the exact same Coleman icebox... but ñeeding some resto (has been painted yellow at some point in time!) and I'm missing the logo:-( Does anyone knows where I could still find one?
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

Great build thread! I guess I should update my Dormobile conversion!
crackpotts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

So, I thought I would update this thread. No apologies for not being a regular on the samba, mostly just read and Rolling Eyes

I bought this bus from Dan. No ragrets.

We absolutely love it!

We also love Dan and Julia! They are a super sweet couple and glad I can call them friends.

I'll try to post some new pix soon.

June Bug Rally coming up in weeks! "Come to Austin they said! Drive your car wildly amongst the hippies they said!!"

Hope to see you there! https://carshowradar.com/shows/tx/2023-volkswagen-vw-air-cooled-june-bug-rally-jbr23/

https://youtu.be/M53Guy6D9P4

Tony Potts was known as "darkjuju"
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

I’m surprised Dan sold it. That being said, is he without a bus, or has he found a different one?

BTW, I have an aluminum frame piece for one of the windows, that Dan had said he needed. Time passed and I ended up still having it. If you’re missing something on one of the side windows, lemme know.
crackpotts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dan's '65 Dormobile project Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
I’m surprised Dan sold it. That being said, is he without a bus, or has he found a different one?

BTW, I have an aluminum frame piece for one of the windows, that Dan had said he needed. Time passed and I ended up still having it. If you’re missing something on one of the side windows, lemme know.

Send me a pic. [email protected]

I built the jalousie windows for him before he sold it to me. They’re mostly complete except for the black frame covers that go on the inside, then the screens.

Thanks!

Tony Potts was known as "darkjuju"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: