Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Road trip tool kit for a plane
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

If you want the elevation map for your route, go to google maps and tell it you are going to ride a bicycle from Oregon to Arkansas. After the distance, the very next thing it shows you is the elevation map. It looks like you will vary from 300 to 10,000 ft above sea level on that run.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

vdubjiunkie wrote:

Understood. I did take the trip planning to an important level, where I mapped out all the fuel ups between Eugene and Denver. I learned something VERY important. North route would have had 0 stations for 370+ miles.

When I was planning my first long international trip, to drive my Lotus Elise to the Alaskan Arctic Circle in 2012, I was planning EVERYTHING. I didn't want any "surprises". One day I was talking to a friend who had previously driven their Elise across America on the way back to NZ, and he said to me "If you plan for every little eventuality on a once in a life time Adventure like that, and you know exactly where you will be each night, and have a solution (and tool) for everything that may happen, then it will take away any "Adventure" and turn it in to just a "trip". He was right - Leave room for some unexpected items, and just deal with them as and when (and if) they occur. Then you will have a true sense of accomplishment, and Adventure in the truest sense of the word. You will only make this trip once.........
Smile
Just based on my experience driving around the world for the last 10 years and having some amazing Adventures. My next Adventure will be driving 15,000 kms right round Australia next year in my 1970 Fastback, because Covid seems to have dealt a major blow to my plan to ship it to Vancouver and drive it to the Alaskan Arctic Crying or Very sad
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

Stop and see the Spruce Goose Etc at McMinnville, OR
https://www.evergreenmuseum.org/
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

Popcorn
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

Hey all,

Sorry it took me so long to follow up. I got the car back, and without any huge issues. Most of the issues came down to vapor lock, or me overreacting to it, and making unnecessary changes!

Since getting home, I've been jumping from one issue to the next, trying to get this thing to be a car I can drive around regularly. Points and condenser, replaced. Leaky fuel pump, "rebuilt" and no longer leaking. Car doesn't like starting again once warm, not yet resolved. Shift shaft collar in the tunnel opening up, leaving the shaft laying on the bottom.. Neutral My god, what next?

I hope to have a decent video of the story of the trip for YouTube in the not too distant future, but in the mean time, I've got this one to share. It's just a walkaround of the car and me telling my story of my love affair with Notchbacks.

Be kind. I know the quality is poor, but it's my first video. I just wanted to get something out there.

https://youtu.be/nqwoY2X4oPQ
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

Glad to hear you made it home with it. Cool It looks like a nice solid project, and since you've driven it, you'll know what needs to be fixed. Nothing like a road trip to show you it's weaknesses. Wink Enjoy your new ride, and keep us updated with your progress.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
...and since you've driven it, you'll know what needs to be fixed. Nothing like a road trip to show you it's weaknesses. Wink...

That's a really good point. I did already have a pretty big mental list of things I needed to do by the time we got home.

I'm going to have LOADS of questions for all you experts. Many answers are already found in existing posts, but I'll have some new ones.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

I want to hear about the trip !!!!
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

Awesome Car! would love to hear about the trip! FYI! Are you sure it's a '64? I owned a '64 notch and it didn't have the heat knob parallel to the shift tunnel. It had that gray cover with red and white levers. Not nitpicking, just trying to help out. I think, at least the pan, may be off a '63. It also looks like your front clip, may have been changed.

I have owned several t 3's and know a little bit. If I may help, will gladly do so. If you ask me? I would fix those rockers first, others may differ, but since you know it's a driver, focus on safety. Bumpers would be in order. What are your plans? Stock? stock lowered, slammed on earlies? Either, It will be nice! If stock is the way, ISP west is your source for goodies or T3 Headquarters in Germany carry most everything you may need.

And please move that gas from on top of the engine!!!

Martin
allwagons
'65 sunroof Variant.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the interest, suggestions, etc. ALLWAGONS raised an excellent point about the year. Yes, the front clip was replaced, and I believe '64 was supposed to have a pair of horn grills surrounding the centered hole in the nose where you remove your shift shaft. Mine does not have that.

So, I was already wondering about the correctness of the year. I'll have to do some more digging. Right up front, I knew I wasn't going to have one of those high dollar, all original cars, so, while it may be a little disappointing, I've accepted it.

I will still be interested in finding out for sure. The VIN is titled as a '64, but that doesn't mean too terribly much. I also really like that heater knob.

I do have a set of rockers in substantially better condition, which will be one of the first things to do. I have a very talented welder for a friend, so that will help tremendously.

Ultimately, I do intend to go for a largely original look, but I'm not completely bent on it. For example, my hope is to get some Porsche phone dial wheels for it, but 16's with 215/55R16, which give a very close tire diameter to stock.

I may consider some dropped spindles, or even air bags, because I do like the look of a lowered car, but I want the turning radius and handling of a stock ride height.

The kicker to it all is that I don't actually have a budget, so this will be a VERY long project! In fact, I keep telling people it is not a project. It is a toy. Every so often, I'll be able to save up some money and do something little.

Not to spoil the videos I intend to put up on the YouTubes, but the order of operation will be to focus on making everything I already have, better. I'll practice metal bumping, learn to patch sheet metal, lay down primer, try to keep it from deteriorating any more than it already has.

I've already got a VERY long list of parts, mini projects, etc. I'm just enjoying having, and driving a classic VW again, and it just so happens to be my dream car!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

you can lower it for free, you don't need drop spindles, no idea why every new type 3 person goes right to the "I need drop spindles". Until very recently, they didn't even exist. There is only 1 reputable shop that will make them for you, and they are only doing it for the tucked look...

post up some pics and we will tell you what you have year wise
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

I agree that you CAN lower the car without dropped spindles, as I have done that before. ('72 squareback years ago). However, you do decrease your suspension travel, which also puts more strain on the entire system.

I'll just turn splines to play with it, but if I intend to keep it lower long term, it will be spindles, or bags. I really like the idea of bags, as I can drop it when it's parked, and put it where it was meant to ride while I drive.

Of course, the problems are the money, and the cutting of a beam.

I looked through a bunch of my pics, and there may be a few that help give away the year, but honestly, most of them are for my OCD brain to know how stuff was before I started pulling parts, etc. Check out this short video I posted, as I do a pretty decent walkaround.

https://youtu.be/nqwoY2X4oPQ

It has been cut, which is obvious when you see under the hood. The original front fenders had the cut-outs for the side marker lights, and I have key locks on both doors, but not an outside rear view mirror for the passenger. It also has factory pop outs. So, I feel it is a Model S, and I have verified the VIN that is on the pan, and tag (which was likely moved to the replacement front clip), which match one another. They indicate a car which was produced in February of 1964. Yet, that heater knob on the transmission tunnel definitely seems to indicate a 1963, or earlier.

In all honesty, I'm very ok with stuff not matching, because I prefer the look of the heater knob, and I know my car will never be an all original masterpiece. I just love the car, and want to enjoy it. However, as I look for replacement parts, it will obviously be important to know what to look for.

So, it is a fun exercise! Very Happy
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

We only comment to suggest the right path for you, as type 3’s are a different beast. Most type 3 owners go in all different directions other than stock, as many original type 3 specific are difficult to source. Ask sone of us, who it took 20+ years to find correctish parts. Nice that you have that positive attitude and you are working with what you have.

Martin
Allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

vdubjiunkie wrote:
I agree that you CAN lower the car without dropped spindles, as I have done that before. ('72 squareback years ago). However, you do decrease your suspension travel, which also puts more strain on the entire system. Very Happy

The front of my 65 Notch has been dropped since it was rebuilt by me in 1999, and I haven't noticed any undo strain in all of the driving I did with it since then. I've been out of state multiple times with it as well. The big key is to remove the rubber bump stops, so you still have a working suspension. Granted I'm only down 2 inner splines, as I have some very rough roads around me, plus I'm running 195-60-15's up front for tires (soon to be 205-55-15's).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
We only comment to suggest the right path for you, as type 3’s are a different beast.

I want to make sure that everybody knows how much I appreciate this community. If anything I say ever seems like I don't appreciate offers, suggestions, etc, know that I just wasn't able to be as clear as intended.

I've got some ideas about what I want, and how things should be, but I really do enjoy hearing others' ideas.

You're right, T3 is more difficult to find parts. My transmission coupler cover was missing, and I felt very fortunate to get a replacement in good condition. Now I just need to figure out what screws it takes!
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
The front of my 65 Notch has been dropped since it was rebuilt by me in 1999, and I haven't noticed any undo strain in all of the driving I did with it since then. I've been out of state multiple times with it as well. The big key is to remove the rubber bump stops, so you still have a working suspension. Granted I'm only down 2 inner splines, as I have some very rough roads around me, plus I'm running 195-60-15's up front for tires (soon to be 205-55-15's).

This is really good to know. Thanks for adding that. I wonder what would be involved in getting smaller bump stops, so you do still have that safety option.

I'll enjoy riding it around at various heights, seeing what I think of them, and figuring it all out in time. But, I need to get the shift shaft collar fixed so I can restore shifting before anything else! Also, I have to get a transmission ground strap.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

vdubjiunkie wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

This is really good to know. Thanks for adding that. I wonder what would be involved in getting smaller bump stops, so you do still have that safety option.

I'll enjoy riding it around at various heights, seeing what I think of them, and figuring it all out in time. But, I need to get the shift shaft collar fixed so I can restore shifting before anything else! Also, I have to get a transmission ground strap.

You might want to spend some time looking thru this book. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type3_parts_book/

#39, 3.5x13mm long fillister head tapping screw-3 required (sheet metal screw).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:

Last edited by Bobnotch on Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

vdubjiunkie wrote:
I need to get the shift shaft collar fixed so I can restore shifting before anything else! Also, I have to get a transmission ground strap.

I could have shipped all of that in the same box! d'oh!
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
You might want to spend some time looking thru this book. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type3_parts_book/

#39, 3.5x13mm long fillister head tapping screw-3 required (sheet metal screw).

Holy crap, thanks for that! I needed another field of rabbit holes to keep me awake at night, making my many lists more complete! Twisted Evil

Seriously though, what an invaluable resource. One of the many on this site!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trip tool kit for a plane Reply with quote

vdubjiunkie wrote:

I believe the thing to do is get a set of upper bump stop rubbers, and put them on the lowers since they're shorter. Then cut down a set of uppers, or leave them off. The idea behind using uppers for lowers, is that IF you hit something hard enough, it'll be the lower going into compression, and you'll have enough room for movement. You'll hardly ever limit out the down stroke enough for the upper rubber to come into play (it's a big damn deep pot hole for it to drop into). You can watch that amount of drop with a floor jack to see what I mean. Like I said above, I removed both uppers and lowers on my own car over 20 years ago, and I think I've hit really hard 3 or 4 times in all those years. In my case it's either a double rail road track, or a bridge abutment to the highway that's caused the hit (suspension bottoming). The RR tracks are just down the street from me, so I cross that one slowly (like almost everything else does), and know where it is, but the bridges are hit and miss (at least in my state, as we get some nasty freezes and thaws). But, I've driven it to Carthage MO. and back without problems of bottoming. Crossing the river in St.Louis was sketchy, as that bridge is due for some big time repairs (it's got holes big enough to swallow a VW bug in it Wink) and was probably the worst section of highway on the entire trip.
That's the thing, I dropped it right from the get go, and never looked back. I've also gone to Hershey PA. and that was it's first real road trip. Most freeways are pretty decent, but "surface" streets are hit and miss. At least that's what I've found on trips to Missouri,Texas and Colorado over the years. Some states take better care of their roads, and some don't. Just my take on it.
I should also mention that my own car was built for cruising, which is why I put in an IRS rear sub, which helps on the road trips for making a nice smooth ride.
I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: