Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hood open = alternator doesn't alternate...mystery solved...
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrollFromDownBelow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: hood open = alternator doesn't alternate...mystery solved... Reply with quote

I'll cut to the chase....yesterday I changed the oil and adjusted the valves. When I was finished, fired it up to look for any leaks. Noticed I had idiot lights on. If the hood/bonnet is open the alternator light and EGR light are on ...and testing has proved that the alternator is not charging (12.4 volts). however, if the hood/bonnet is closed, no idiot lights, and the battery reads @ 14.4 volts so the alternator is working.

I'm guessing some sort of short with license plate light...however, f anyone else has experienced this problem, would like to hear how they fixed it.

Last edited by TrollFromDownBelow on Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: hood open = alternator doesn't alternate... Reply with quote

This happened once before and I believe it turned out to be the muffler valve
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: hood open = alternator doesn't alternate... Reply with quote

Make sure your deck lid prop isn’t catching on any positive battery cables.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: hood open = alternator doesn't alternate... Reply with quote

Never seen one Robbie but then again I learn something every day on the samba
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: hood open = alternator doesn't alternate... Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Never seen one Robbie but then again I learn something every day on the samba

He means the steel hairpin pivot on the right side of the engine door, it can snag all kinds of stuff near the battery, & if you've got creative wiring/dangling cross-harness to the LR light array.
Which I do. : l Careful now.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: hood open = alternator doesn't alternate... Reply with quote

Not sure what the hairpin could snag on which would cause these particular symptoms, but the hairpin does seem to be the most likely culprit.
TrollFromDownBelow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: hood open = alternator doesn't alternate... Reply with quote

Propping the hood open halfway with my oil funnel, the lights were off, and I didn't see any interference with wires or the hairpin. That's what is leading me to think it may have to do with the license plate light ....it's the only electrical wire (that I can see) that has the potential to be affected.

What's really got me scratching my head, is why the EGR light goes on as well....from my understanding, it's purely a mileage-based light triggered from the little box behind the kick panel....how would anything that happens in the engine bay affect the EGR light? Question
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: hood open = alternator doesn't alternate... Reply with quote

I'd close it slowly and see at what point the voltage drops. It could be a bad VR or connection, and the shudder of the lid closing disturbs it. You can also put your meter on the battery and wiggle wires.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: hood open = alternator doesn't alternate... Reply with quote

It's like the refrigerator light controversy. Is it really off when you close the door?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: hood open = alternator doesn't alternate... Reply with quote

Both the charge light and the O2 counter light are tied into the blue exciter wire for the alternator. Not going to pretend that I know how the counter and O2 light are supposed to work electrically.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: hood open = alternator doesn't alternate... Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Not sure what the hairpin could snag on which would cause these particular symptoms, but the hairpin does seem to be the most likely culprit.

Stick your cell phone and a flashlight inside and close the lid. Record the video and see what's happening.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: hood open = alternator doesn't alternate... Reply with quote

At one point a few years ago I actually mounted a cheap GoPro type camera in my engine bay with some lighting to figure an issue out - turned everything on and went for a drive. I think the mount is still there.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: hood open = alternator doesn't alternate... Reply with quote

You’ve got some nasty wiring going on and the hood closing is jarring it.

Go through the harness looking for damage or OP reprodestruction
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: hood open = alternator doesn't alternate... Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
It's like the refrigerator light controversy. Is it really off when you close the door?
LOL.... Laughing Laughing Laughing
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
TrollFromDownBelow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: hood open = alternator doesn't alternate... Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Make sure your deck lid prop isn’t catching on any positive battery cables.
Robbie

Robbie wins the prize...or at least 50%. It was the hatch 'holder upper'. THe alternator wires had got caught behind it, and it had chaffed through the insulation. Took all of 30 seconds with my wife sitting in the bus letting me know when the lights went on and off.

A bit of electrical tape to cover up the bare wire, and a zip tie to pull it out of the way, and we are good to go.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: