Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Same as 010 and 019 Distributors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

tasb wrote:

The yellow paint is actually factory applied denoting further refinement to the design.

Here is a casting variation on a VJUR4BR8 distributor I have. It has a "5" cast in the underside edge (and some of the yellow color left). Date code in it is 1Q (January 1959).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

tasb wrote:

Far left: the first of the VJU 4 BR 8 dated July 1954. It's in my personal collection. When I was restoring it I found what turned out to be a red dot on the housing that got cleared off before I read that it was a factory applied mark denoting improved springs according to Progressive Refinements.

Middle and right no oil boss dated 9k for September 1954, oil boss version dated 4L or April 1955. So the oiler boss revision happened sometime between those two dates, at least for VW.

VJU 4 BR 8
1954 (October print) has springs 2x WSF 89 Z 39
1956 (July print) has springs 2x WSF 89 Z 41
1959 same
1960 same
1961 same

VE 4 BRS 383
1953 (februari) WSF 89/9
1954 same, but VE 4 CR 407 (same weights and cam as 383) has the WSF 89 Z 28 springs listed here, so 383 might have got them as well after this.
1960 WSF 89 Z 28
1961 same

The boss on your 1955 correspond to when the first VJU distributor (BR9) got the oiler and needed the boss. Bosch probably used the same basic mold for them all and changes for other markers also showed on the VW distributors even if they didn't use any oil or grease cup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

Found a 3F stamp. Please tell me how to read it.
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
Found a 3F stamp. Please tell me how to read it.

Start here

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279505
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

March 1950 an early one.

The link above won't open for me. Try:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279505\\

The afore mentioned O ring groove was added at some point near that date.

hmmm, now the VJ housing didn't show up[ until late 1953 so that would make this one a 383 which took the flat top cap. What cap are you running on that distributor?

similar story, years ago at a swap I bought a pile of cores from a guy and as I was getting ready to move on I spotted a cast iron distributor in another pile of his stuff. He let me have it for free because I had bought all the others. It was all black even over the badge. At home when I cleaned it off I found a nice 383 badge and my first of that model.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
March 1950 an early one.

Thanks, I love when you can hold something mechanical in your hand that is 71 and a half years old and although has been rebuilt 59 years ago is still usable. Very cool.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

Can you show the difference in caps?
tasb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

Flat cap. The taller one can actually be installed on a VJ distributor but was designed for Goliath and other makes.

This little cap from Garbe Lahmeyer distributors can be used on a 383 distributor.

Last edited by tasb on Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

tasb wrote:

Flat cap
I have a tall black cap
tasb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
tasb wrote:
March 1950 an early one.

Thanks, I love when you can hold something mechanical in your hand that is 71 and a half years old and although has been rebuilt 59 years ago is still usable. Very cool.

Not VW related but I have an Edison Talking Machine with the last patent date 1898 and it still works fine. Also a 1910 dated light bulb. Same feeling.

Last edited by tasb on Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
tasb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
tasb wrote:

Flat cap
I have a tall black cap

If'n youda told us that it had that cap in your first post we could have solved your inquiry much faster but not had nearly as much fun sloothing. So you have a VJ 4 BR 8 badge on this distributor? That's just wrong! It has three screws holding the top on instead of two?

bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

I have a 1907 Benjamin air rifle company model C that will harvest a squirrel at 50 feet. Gifted to me by my grandfather. George Benjamin, from his father Walter.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
bsairhead wrote:
tasb wrote:

Flat cap
I have a tall black cap

If'n youda told us that it had that cap in your first post we could have solved your inquiry much faster but not had nearly as much fun sloothing. So you have a VJ 4 BR 8 badge on this distributor? That's just wrong! It has three screws holding the top on instead of two?
Screws holding the top on? Not trying to be difficult but I don't understand.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
bsairhead wrote:
tasb wrote:

Flat cap
I have a tall black cap

From what did this come from?
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
Reading this post made me curios, went out to my spares bucket in my 71 deluxe and am holding in my hand my BOSCH GERMANY IMPORTE D'ALLEMAGNE VJ 4 BR 8 it has a shinny small square 1/8 x 3/16 after the 8 in BR 8 with scratches that can't make out. Below and to the right of one stamp are another stamp. Is it unusual?
TASP this is my first post, please tell me what I did not include that made it hard for members to sloth. I gave the information that I had and added more as I found it with the help of the good people of the Samba.
tasb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

Ok, I guess the information you have provided has me confused. It would help greatly if you'd provide a picture of your distributor. It's not difficult. Upload it into the site gallery above then copy and paste into this discussion.

bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Ok, I guess the information you have provided has me confused. It would help greatly if you'd provide a picture of your distributor. It's not difficult. Upload it into the site gallery above then copy and paste into this discussion.
I would provide pictures if I could "it's not difficult" does not help. I have a VJ 4 BR 8 with a date code of 3F and a rebuild stamp and 1T. It has a honeycomb vent and no oiling boss. It has wire cap clips, the one left of the badge has a locating tab. It has a recessed area for the capacitor. 6 -ZyL-4 on the innards and a CW arrow on the drive shaft. An indicating grove on the rim at 175 degrees or so from the power lead. The capacitor reads" H in circle GERMANY 1 237 330 055 815 It looks new compared to the rest of the distributor.
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

I think the confusion now is that tasb showed a picture of the "flat top' distributors and you answered you had a black cap. But it isn't flat on the top is it? I guess it's a "normal" black replacement cap looking like a "candelabra"? Look at the pictures in previous page. Is your rotor shaft short (383) or taller (BR8)?

As I stated before if your distributor was rebuild by GL, they probably just took a reuseable/ rebuildeable distributor body in the pile. VE4BRS383 and VJ4BR2, BR3 and BR8 did have the same body spare part (after some confusion I think we agreed on that). And it sounds just like I guessed, that GL picked a older house in the pile and rebuilt it as a VJ4BR8. They wouldn't have rebuild distributors like today where you send in your distributor and get it rebuild and they wouldn't have cared about originality, it would have been an exchange program just like engines and other parts. A nother guess is that they rebuild all early VE4BRS383, VJ4BR2 and BR3 distributors by that time to BR8 as it replaced them. Or BR25 did, but it used a different house.

It's an interesting story your distributor (for geeks). Go to "Gallery" (top meny to the left of "forum"), choose "add photos" in the scrolle down and follow directions.
vdubrookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

Tasb, I don't give a crap about the badge or any of that. I just want the best distributor for my particular set up & something I'm not going to have pay $375 for so yes, cheap. I'll get with you later on particulars but I think you already have them for my engine. 1915 w/009 now.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Same as 010 and 019 Distributors Reply with quote

vdubrookie wrote:
Tasb, I don't give a crap about the badge or any of that. I just want the best distributor for my particular set up & something I'm not going to have pay $375 for so yes, cheap. I'll get with you later on particulars but I think you already have them for my engine. 1915 w/009 now.

You want cheap and works... keep.your 009.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: