Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor pan swap on a 67 Beetle?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Floor pan swap on a 67 Beetle? Reply with quote

I just acquired a 67 beetle. It is almost perfectly complete and has the correct original air cleaner, heat pipes, carb, engine, etc. It has a little rust in the drivers side heater channel and almost no other rust.

Here is the dilemna. I have access to a perfect 67 pan. Do I swap pans but end up with a vehicle with mismatched numbers or do I fix the origial pan?

Thanks!

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan swap on a 67 Beetle? Reply with quote

the heater channel is part of the body not the pan. I looked at your pics
the heater channel needs love. you need to find one of those. pan looks ok?

Steve.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan swap on a 67 Beetle? Reply with quote

Very little rust to the pan itself, I guess. The floor with the little sliding vent inside, from the door post to the front, needs some work. Sounds like the floor pan won't fix the rust issues anyway.

Thanks!

Chris

PS: Who makes decent sheet metal for the 67's?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Floor pan swap on a 67 Beetle? Reply with quote

I have the same rust in the heater channel in my 67. Your pan already looks to have been replaced. VW painted the originals black.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.

Last edited by davidw99 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan swap on a 67 Beetle? Reply with quote

ccowx wrote:
Very little rust to the pan itself, I guess. The floor with the little sliding vent inside, from the door post to the front, needs some work. Sounds like the floor pan won't fix the rust issues anyway.

Thanks!

Chris

PS: Who makes decent sheet metal for the 67's?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Interesting pedal return springs.

Also, as has been said, you need heater channels, which are the body, not the pan. Lots of places sell them. The best ones you’ll find are made by klassicfab. They’re also the most expensive. Cip1, and Wolfsburg West are other options.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan swap on a 67 Beetle? Reply with quote

Those springs like they're there to keep the pedals from falling backwards onto the driver's feet Shocked
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Floor pan swap on a 67 Beetle? Reply with quote

Likely to keep the pedals up while the car is being worked on.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: