Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brass particles in oil.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

If you cut a corner that's the part that will break.
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

I've learned that thru the years. Before I retired, I lived by 'Murphy's Law'. That says that if something can go wrong, it will!
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

planenut wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
This is in a stainless steel pan with a flashlight shining in it.
That does look fairly normal for a fresh rebuild. The only thing that is a little suspect is that you have a couple oil changes and you're still having the clouds in the oil. Question...you installed new pistons and cylinders, Did you dis-assemble and totally clean the bores, pistons etc. Gap the rings? Did you check cam gear lash? Also did you set the cam end play? Newer cam bearings need work! If you just slapped the cam into the bearings without checking and adjusting you'll probably be splitting the case again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

The first oil change was after the cam break in, and around the block. So, you're talking about 2 miles. The second was probably 5 miles. The third was after a 50 mile interstate run to help seat the rings. So, we're talking less than a hundred miles. Most of the running has been correcting the car having a single advance can, on a dvda distributor, and the wrong carburetor. Everyone says it sounds good and normal, but I guess I'm gun shy. My hearing sux, too. We'll see what happens. Oh, I did have to fit the cam to the bearings.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

Well considering the lack of miles and you did fit the cam, in my opinion you're probably worrying about nothing...although I do understand being gun shy. I've built many of these over the years and still am never totally comfortable till I have several hundred miles. Also, a single advance can should work fine on a DVDA distributor. I use one a generic one on my fuel injected bug and it works just like an oem dual vacuum unit i have. Think it came from Aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

planenut wrote:
. . . Like I said, these were new, Brazilian heads. I would think they'd be a better quality than Chinese.

Don't bet on it.

I've been to Brasil. It's shocking how poorly made things are down there.

And I wouldn't worry just yet about the particles in the oil, either. Once you get over 400 miles on it and it still looks like that, then I'd start to worry.
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

IMO, it's probably the guides lack of clearance.

If it were mine and it had a high volume oil pump I'd use some 5w30. With a stock volume pump, 10w30.

Keeping the engine as cool as possible I'd drive around for a day at lower varying speeds, keeping under 50 mph, putting on as many miles as I could.

I'd drain the oil, put in some fresh oil and do it again. I then would see what I had.

If it got better I'd go easy on it until the oil came out clean. If it got worse I'd pull it apart.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
planenut wrote:
. . . Like I said, these were new, Brazilian heads. I would think they'd be a better quality than Chinese.

Don't bet on it.

I've been to Brasil. It's shocking how poorly made things are down there.

And I wouldn't worry just yet about the particles in the oil, either. Once you get over 400 miles on it and it still looks like that, then I'd start to worry.
I've heard similar. I have a set of the AA heads, 501s I think is what they're called. Been super impressed with them , expected to have to do a ton of work but they were pretty much good right out of the box...except for the HUGE combustion chambers! They're advertised as drop ins for factory heads but they aren't at 59cc!!!
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

goober wrote:
IMO, it's probably the guides lack of clearance.

If it were mine and it had a high volume oil pump I'd use some 5w30. With a stock volume pump, 10w30.

Keeping the engine as cool as possible I'd drive around for a day at lower varying speeds, keeping under 50 mph, putting on as many miles as I could.

I'd drain the oil, put in some fresh oil and do it again. I then would see what I had.

If it got better I'd go easy on it until the oil came out clean. If it got worse I'd pull it apart.
X2 on the 10W-30. Too many of these running around with 20w50 when it's actually counter productive
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: brass particles in oil. Reply with quote

Get a sample of the oil and take it to a diesel shop to have it analyzed.
Surprising what analysis will tell and its cheaper than tearing down or worrying.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: