Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old VW dealerships, what are they now?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

Not sure if these have been posted or not. I didn't see any similar photos in the gallery.

Jack McAfee Service Shop. In a few days it'll be 65 years to the day that James Dean and his mechanic would stop at this service shop before going out on the drive that would claim James life.

It's a random business now, but the building still shows resemblance of the old shop.
Check out that barndoor!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are some other photos of his actual dealerships:

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

Check out the price on the Red Porsche 356! Smile

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

Trust me, I know!

A few months ago I was doing research on tracking down the history on a 1955 PGSG bus my friend and I picked up in Connecticut after it had sat in the woods for many many years. Long story short, I found ads from the 1950's from the dealership in NY where it sold. A lot of pre-owned cars including Porsche 356's, Jags, and other European cars that were only a couple of years old selling for less than $2,000! Crazy stuff, if only I had a time machine.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

Patiently Impatient wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

Trust me, I know!

A few months ago I was doing research on tracking down the history on a 1955 PGSG bus my friend and I picked up in Connecticut after it had sat in the woods for many many years. Long story short, I found ads from the 1950's from the dealership in NY where it sold. A lot of pre-owned cars including Porsche 356's, Jags, and other European cars that were only a couple of years old selling for less than $2,000! Crazy stuff, if only I had a time machine.

Wouldn't that be awesome!! Brick wall Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

This 356 at auction didn't sell. The status stated 'ENDED'. So the $340k was just the high bid in the auction. The reserve price wasn't reached.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1957-porsche-356a-speedster-12/

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

Trust me, I know!

It sounds great now but $2000 in 1955 is around $19400 today. Smile

Ok, still cheap for that particular Porsche but a I bet a lot of the other cars would be insanely overpriced.

I wonder if the Bugs are cheap in today's equivalent... probably not.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

$2000 in 1955. Yeah, good deal huh. My folks bought a brand new 4 bedroom house that year in Costa Mesa, 1 1/2 miles from the beach for $9000. In that economy, the Speedster was insanely expensive, 22% of the home purchase. My dad couldn’t afford a 356 until after we moved to San Clemente in 1962. 4 bedroom 1/4 mile from the private beach club, $36,000. Bought his used 1964 356 in 1965 for $3600, only 10% of the home price. That house sold last year for #1,250,000. Laughing
Patiently Impatient
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

Trust me, I know!

It sounds great now but $2000 in 1955 is around $19400 today. Smile

Ok, still cheap for that particular Porsche but a I bet a lot of the other cars would be insanely overpriced.

I wonder if the Bugs are cheap in today's equivalent... probably not.

I'd say bugs have done fair but as always discussed the market has to change, they can't be demanding these high prices for much longer. Or could they? Who knows.

Let's have some fun with one of the cheapest cars in the market at the time vs one of the most expensive ones.

-A bug in 1962 was $1595 ($13k in 2020). I guess a concours level 1962 can be around $30k in todays market?
-A Ferrari 250 GTO in 1962 was $18k ($150k in 2020). Today they sell in auction/privately for $50M+

Which would you rather, 11 bugs worth $330,000 or 1 Ferrari GTO worth $50m+ Shocked Very Happy
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

Here is Maury's VW at 2727 S 6th St. in Klamath Falls. Not sure if it followed Maury's or if other dealer(s) in between, but Sherrill's VW was also at this location in at least the 70's.

During operation:

Lately:

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
McClarenDesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Ed Grier VW - Del City, OK Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
The building on the right in this picture used to be Ed Grier VW. I went there from the late 70's to at least the mid 80's The building on the left was their body shop. It was a private body shop that did all of the VW dealers work Very good body shop that is still in business. Eddie Pecks body shop was the name.

Oklahoma city has always had very few VW resources for new cars. Through high school and college there were only three dealers: Ed Grier on 15th street in Del City (suburb of OKC) and Thunderbird imports in Norman OK (suburb city where the University of Oklahoma is 18 miles south of OKC) and Cable VW on the west side which for a while was not really an "official" dealer.

Then T-bird closed in the late 80's or early 90's....then Cable became official, then Ed Griers closed in the 90's. Cable was the only one for a while.

There are three now. Cable is still there. Fowler VW in Norman and Edmond VW on the North side of OKC. Only one Audi dealer I believe.
Ray

Does anyone have a license plate frame, key chain, or anything else from Ed Grier VW?! I spent a ton of time there before school getting our Beetles and squareback station wagon serviced, and my family was pretty close with one of their mechanics. I'd love to have a link to my past and would complete the redesign of my office and the sim racing rig that now occupies a majority of it.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated and very likely compensated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Most of the dealers in CT are gone but the buildings are there.

This is Ted Trudon VW in Vernon

My 67 Karmann Ghia convertible was sold by Ted Trudon April 28, 1967
As I understand it the town of Talcottville no longer exists.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ed Grier VW - Del City, OK Reply with quote

McClarenDesign wrote:
Does anyone have a license plate frame, key chain, or anything else from Ed Grier VW?! I spent a ton of time there before school getting our Beetles and squareback station wagon serviced, and my family was pretty close with one of their mechanics. I'd love to have a link to my past and would complete the redesign of my office and the sim racing rig that now occupies a majority of it.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated and very likely compensated!

You might consider putting a want ad in the classifieds. There are a few sellers that collect dealership frames and re-sell them. Maybe you'll get lucky. Good luck!

Here are some current ads. You might want to message the sellers and see if they can help.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Most of the dealers in CT are gone but the buildings are there.

This is Ted Trudon VW in Vernon

My 67 Karmann Ghia convertible was sold by Ted Trudon April 28, 1967
As I understand it the town of Talcottville no longer exists.

Talcottville was never a town; it was an Industrial Revolution-era village built around the Talcott Brothers' Mill. Very few 'villes' were ever incorporated as towns, especially in Connecticut.

Although part of a larger township, these company towns were often completely owned and controlled by the company and many even had company-appointed "governments" and police forces that the town officials didn't interfere with.

While the name may survive, the company the village was built around is likely long gone, along with many, if not all of the company's mill buildings.

There are hundreds of these mill villages throughout the eastern United States; nearly all along rivers, dammed for their hydro power.
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

I've been researching and locating old VW dealers in the Indiana area, one of my goals is to drive one of my old VWs to each location and photograph what it is now. In cases where the old building still exists, I find it interesting that they very obviously are the old VW style architecture, it's one of those "once you see it" things.

Fort Wayne had at least 2, Auto World Inc is now used car dealer. Evan's VW seems to be a privately owned shop, a guy I talked to there told me about another location that Evans used to be at before moving in the early 60's. That location seems to be a private residence now (how cool would that be), and it appears they're VW fans or probably aware of it's history.

Auto-World Inc:

Evans VW 2nd location:

Evans VW 1st location:

BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamblanda wrote:
Roger Kresge, Inc in its first location is now a bowling alley. In it's second, a Teddy's Road House and a medical office.

In '85 Kresge died in a plane crash. Shortly after the funeral, his wife passed. None of their children were old enough to run the business so it faded away. That certainly places in the top ten of unusual dealership closings, now don't it!

Here is the 2nd location of Roger Kresge VW metioned above. Which Later became Burdick-Rich VW. I bought 2 Volkswagens there in the 1980's.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

Burdock Rich in Binghamton NY?

I knew the lead VW mechanic there, years ago
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

The dealership was the one on the Vestal parkway. I saw my first Porsche 914 there in 1971. May have been Kresge then. I got blown off basically. A Penniless kid driving a 1963 bug.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

That’s the one!! I was living in Ithaca at the time. I bought a Nissan from them in 1989
RCJH77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

Anyone familiar with VW dealerships in San Francisco in the late 1950s to early 1960s? My bug was delivered to a dealership there directly from Germany. Would love to find some info on them.

Eventually it made its way to Blevins Motor Co in McAllen, TX, which seems to have been a used VW dealership. I have the Blevins badge that they put on my car, but have no info on the original San Francisco dealership.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Old VW dealerships, what are they now? Reply with quote

RCJH77 wrote:
Anyone familiar with VW dealerships in San Francisco in the late 1950s to early 1960s? My bug was delivered to a dealership there directly from Germany. Would love to find some info on them.

Eventually it made its way to Blevins Motor Co in McAllen, TX, which seems to have been a used VW dealership. I have the Blevins badge that they put on my car, but have no info on the original San Francisco dealership.

Blevins Motor Co. is listed in the VW dealer directory from late 1959, so it may have been traded in there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: