Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Seat identification
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat identification Reply with quote

Question for present or former '74-75 Westy owners: Does the vinyl upholstery on the back of your passenger seat go all the way down to the bottom of the seat back, or just about 1/4 of the way down? It seems both styles were used. I am trying to identify a year break and/or whether this varied by market. Your info greatly appreciated. Please mention your year and the color of your plaid. (Also, if the seat back upholstery only goes 1/3 of the way down, is there any reason why full-back upholstery couldn't be used if reupholstering?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat identification Reply with quote

Are the driver and passenger seat the same height in a westy with a passenger swivel?

Here's what I'm up against. I have a 76 with the passenger swivel. The seats that came with is had been poorly recovered with some black basket weave, headrests gone, etc. They both have the small rod lever for adjustment instead of the center flapper style. I have acquired other seats from friends and the two I currently have installed don't sit level with each other. Any info that could clear up for me what I need to be looking for?
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sage79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat identification Reply with quote

My '79 Westy with a swivel sits noticably higher than the non-swivel driver's side. I have replacement Vanagon seats though so I'm not sure about original.
'77 delux 2.0FI 090Auto - now my son's
71’ Single Cab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat identification Reply with quote

Hi,

Could anyone help me identify what year this front drivers seat is?

Cheers
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat identification Reply with quote

76+

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
AlanWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat identification Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have a '70 Westy with Bulkhead so it has the 1/3 2/3 seat combination.
When I got the Bus it had BMW seats and I have been searching for original or close to VW seats.
I have eventually sourced a set from a Earlybay SC but am not sure of the seats. Besides the Bench let's look at the Drivers seat first.
It can be seen that there are no provisions for headrests and also it can be seen that the rear seat frame is merely a wire.

If anyone can date these I would be grateful. I tried with the various threads on this forum but am still at a loss.

This is the seat frame with early tracks, and adjustment knob. The base and backrest connect via a round tube pressed flat and a rivet.
As can be seen the base has s shape springs but the backrest has square springs.

The base is not an issue and the horsehair pads I imported fit perfectly.

The backrest however seems longer than the horsehair pad, which is odd.

Different view.

Horsehair for Backrest. '68- 74...?

Horsehair for base. Also '68-74 and perfect.

Regards,
Alan from RSA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat identification Reply with quote

The length of the pad isn't a problem, the lower part has to be short to clear the back of the seat bottom.

That look like a 73 seat, but it's missing part of the upper frame.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7460653#7460653

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
AlanWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat identification Reply with quote

Thanks busdaddy,

I hear what you say but then why bother putting a hook on the horsehair if it's not going to catch on anything anyway.
Also I don't think anything is missing from my seat top.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlanWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat identification Reply with quote

Do you still think this is a '73 seat?
Is there something missing at the top?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat identification Reply with quote

Ahhh..., I see a frame there now, it looked like a shadow in your other pic. But it's odd that it has the later springs yet no headrest mount structure, maybe a late 72?, or from a market that didn't use headrests?
I'm not sure what's going on with the horsehair, if it didn't have the provisions for the back adjuster I'd have said it's a much later seat, you might have to stretch burlap over it and then attach the horsehair to that to make it work.

Слава Україні!
AlanWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat identification Reply with quote

Thank you busdaddy,
So it seems there is yet another frame to add to the collection of front seats?
Burlap might be my only option.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat identification Reply with quote

My 1972 Westfalia came with these seats that are definitely not originally from the bus. I think they are 1973 or 1974 seats. The head rest are the non-push button style meaning 1974 but since these seats have been reupholstered and swapped into a different year I don’t want to rely fully on just that. Then I was confused on the difference in upholstery as 74 is different. Is the 74 difference only different contour for the Westfalias and then just a different pattern on the rest of the 74s? Before I spend a lot on covers I want to make sure I have it correct. And then can I put 68-73 covers on if these are 74 seats if I just cut holes for the headrest?

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat identification Reply with quote

Those look like 73 seats, 74 is the same but use square weave pattern vinyl, opposed to the 68-73 basket weave.

Слава Україні!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat identification Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
My 1972 Westfalia came with these seats that are definitely not originally from the bus. I think they are 1973 or 1974 seats. The head rest are the non-push button style meaning 1974 but since these seats have been reupholstered and swapped into a different year I don’t want to rely fully on just that. Then I was confused on the difference in upholstery as 74 is different. Is the 74 difference only different contour for the Westfalias and then just a different pattern on the rest of the 74s? Before I spend a lot on covers I want to make sure I have it correct. And then can I put 68-73 covers on if these are 74 seats if I just cut holes for the headrest?

i have a donor if you have any broken springs.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat identification Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
i have a donor if you have any broken springs.

Thanks! I will let you know if I need any
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
I did some research into this, too, for a '73 that I was reupholstering using Sewfine. The end product is here:

Can you re-post this picture? it is not showing

I am considering using Sew Fine for '73 bus seats as well

Overlanding the USA
Camper special engine build
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Contacted Sew Fine today again.
We have a new solution.

Can you post some pictures of your Sew Fine '73 bus seat covers?

How are they holding up?

Overlanding the USA
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat identification Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
What year are these seats?
I got some seats that fit my '69 bus with the headrests.
I want to order cushions and covers from Sewfine and want to be absolutely certain I get the right year.

I am doing exactly the same thing, bought '73 seats for my '69 bus and planning to use Sew Fine.

Did you end up going for '69 "style" covers (vertical stitches) to match the year of the bus or '73 style to match the year of the seats?

Overlanding the USA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: