Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Basecoat Clearcoat immediately or 24hrs later?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Basecoat Clearcoat immediately or 24hrs later? Reply with quote

Yup....lots of different approaches out there for sure. I am just a hack, but have painted maybe 10 cars (?) and none of the sanding approaches ever worked for me.

Sometimes I would have bubbles buried in the clear and when you try to sand it flush you would get these little craters. Sometimes you do a little aggressive and end up burning through to the base and it looks all weird. Sometimes it would get flat but you would still see a wave in the clear that really stood out. I had far better luck sanding out orange peel than I did with drips and sags

I am sure lots of people are more successful at it than I ever was though and hopefully you will be too. If you do need to re-clear be sure to extend the flash periods so you can avoid the problem all together.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Basecoat Clearcoat immediately or 24hrs later? Reply with quote

I just did a combination of shave then sand individual runs/sags with 220 dry. After that I wet sanded entire fender with 600g w/o cutting thru to the basecoat. This removed any texture in the clearcoat leaving a finish that looks like it’s ready to buff to a flawless finish. However I’m afraid that any additional sanding with finer grade(800-1500) and polishing may result in cutting to basecoat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Julio_Arcos123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Basecoat Clearcoat immediately or 24hrs later? Reply with quote

Euro clear is a bit more liquidy, it likes to extend itself and takes a bit longer to settle in. Now you know to give it a longer flash time between coats. I usually spray this one a bit faster than other clears and let it lay out during the flash, it comes out great just need to know how to work with what u got.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Basecoat Clearcoat immediately or 24hrs later? Reply with quote

Quote:
I just did a combination of shave then sand individual runs/sags with 220 dry. After that I wet sanded entire fender with 600g w/o cutting thru to the basecoat. This removed any texture in the clearcoat leaving a finish that looks like it’s ready to buff to a flawless finish. However I’m afraid that any additional sanding with finer grade(800-1500) and polishing may result in cutting to basecoat.

Well if it looks like it is ready to buff to a "flawless finish" then why do more sanding?
Julio_Arcos123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Basecoat Clearcoat immediately or 24hrs later? Reply with quote

600 is too coarse to buff over and not see scratches after. It may be flat but it'll b a waste of time. If you wanted to kill the orange peel 1000 would've been good for that, unless it was heavy orange peel. Try keeping the coarse grit limited to the area needed
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Basecoat Clearcoat immediately or 24hrs later? Reply with quote

Julio_Arcos123 wrote:
600 is too coarse to buff over and not see scratches after. It may be flat but it'll b a waste of time. If you wanted to kill the orange peel 1000 would've been good for that, unless it was heavy orange peel. Try keeping the coarse grit limited to the area needed

Thanks Julio…..I’ve already removed all my runs and sanded all the fenders down using 600g…..looks real good. Around the fender edges I didn’t get enough base coat on so I will be reapplying 2 coats of base to all 4 fenders. When I originally started i sanded the 2k primer with 600g b4 the basecoat, do you still think I need to do a final 1000g sanding over the remaining clear that is on the fenders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Basecoat Clearcoat immediately or 24hrs later? Reply with quote

I’m also going to play with my gun settings and concentrate on getting as fine a paint droplets as possible. The pressure regulator/guage that came with the gun only reads 20-22psi when set to max. To my understanding I should be able to set the gun much higher if necessary.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Julio_Arcos123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Basecoat Clearcoat immediately or 24hrs later? Reply with quote

If you're going to recoat the fender with base and clear you just need to dull the shine off nothing too crazy. If it's already on 600 and it's a solid color that works fine. 1000 would help it lay down flat
Next time you sand to buff there's no need to sand all the way down to the edges of the panel, it'll prevent from burning the edges with the buffing pad and the orange peel there usually isn't too noticeable. Focus on the area that will be seen, unless it's bad orange peel all over.

As for the gun, hvlp guns don't need much pressure. 20-25 should be enough pressure. You're gage looks like it does go up more maybe the knob right on top of it isn't open all the way double check that.
The droplet size depends on the tip on the gun. Usually 1.4 or 1.3 with euro clear you could get away with 1.2 but idk what your gun has.
Also more pressure will just create more overspray and waste material so check the tip being used first, then check the fan and material knobs. Check your speed while painting, see what the paint does and then change the pressure as needed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: