Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

P0010 Error
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: P0010 Error Reply with quote

Coming back up the hill to my house van throws a check engine light. P0010 camshaft actuator something or other error.

Cleared the code and started the engine back up and it did not immediately throw the code again.

Search on here yielded no results. The rest if the web has solutions from dirty oil, low oil, dirty air filter, dirty MAF sensor (or the other type forget what we have), air intake leak, vac leak, bad camshaft actuator, and a few others.

Funny that there are no EV mentions with this error?
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: P0010 Error Reply with quote

Curious if you had any resolution to this issue. My CEL just illuminated and looking for a hint prior to getting some garage time to diagnose.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: P0010 Error Reply with quote

Many codes have to pend for a set number of cycles before they are stored and trigger the check engine light.

Unless you know the source code , how soon a code comes doesn’t tell you much.

You could try parts cannoning a cam sensor but dirty oil or worn timing gear are also suspects
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: P0010 Error Reply with quote

Didn't get much of a chance to look into yet other than than a code scan (P0010 is the only code, active or pending). Clearing codes only results in it coming right back up within a few minutes or even seconds of idling or driving. No drivability issues..... yet anyway. And no noises.....

I bought this particular EVW ('03) with timing chain recently done (by a contributing Samba-ist, actually). Initial suspect is the Bank1 VVT solenoid fouled with FOD. I won't have any garage time until next week sometime so just throwing mental darts at this point....
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: P0010 Error Reply with quote

A decent garage will be equipped with hardware and software to monitor the cam flank angles which will tell you if the reading is right or if the sensor is not reporting.

There isnt really a shade tree way around this other than firing parts at it.
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: P0010 Error Reply with quote

A good scan with vcds might give better details and point you in a more definitive direction. Invaluable tool.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: P0010 Error Reply with quote

Had some garage time this weekend and found the bank one vvt solenoid to have a broken wire. I was able to pull the connector and repair by stripping the wires back a bit and putting new receptacles in the 2-position housing- TE timer jr's for those that are interested.

The locking plate in the housing was very brittle and did not survive reinstallation....
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: P0010 Error Reply with quote

gesoffen wrote:
Had some garage time this weekend and found the bank one vvt solenoid to have a broken wire. I was able to pull the connector and repair by stripping the wires back a bit and putting new receptacles in the 2-position housing- TE timer jr's for those that are interested.

The locking plate in the housing was very brittle and did not survive reinstallation....

I’ve been having this POO10 CEL intermittently for the last couple thousand miles. The van seems to run fine where the check engine light is on or not. Is there any risk of damage driving while this code is present?
Where are the VVT solenoids located and is the locking plate that broke something that can be replaced?

Last edited by bcolins on Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: P0010 Error Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:

I’ve been having this POO 10CEL intermittently for the last couple thousand miles. The van seems to run fine where the check engine light is on or not. Is there any risk of damage driving while this code is present?
Where are the VVT solenoids located and is the locking plate that broke something that can be replaced?

Mine also ran fine with the CEL on due to the VVT solenoid. I didn't conduct any real-time monitoring of the VVT solenoid so can't really tell you what running without it working functionally would ultimately do. I suspect the ECU has some ability to compensate (e.g. different ignition timing maps or similar).

VVT solenoids are located on the drivers side of the cylinder head. There are two separate 2-terminal connectors spaced close together (a few centimeters apart). In the image below (credit to markcm2), they are the two black connectors in the middle between and just below the camshafts. Bank 1 is the one on the left (would be closer to the front of the van when installed). Keep in mind that this image does not show the upper timing cover, valve cover, or intake installed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As far as the locking plate, these Tyco Electronics connectors are fairly common in the auto industry. Not sure if I can by the locking plate separate but the terminal housing comes with one if I need to by new (digikey, mouser or similar). Otherwise, I'll grab one on my next trip to the junkyard. The locking plate is there to keep the terminals from sliding out but the terminals have some locking tabs on them too (sort of a belt AND suspenders approach).
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: P0010 Error Reply with quote

gesoffen wrote:

gesoffen wrote:
Curious if you had any resolution to this issue. My CEL just illuminated and looking for a hint prior to getting some garage time to diagnose.

Sorry I did not come back and post a solution after my repair. I had the same issue. There was a broken wire that I repaired and everything was back to normal. THe brass coolant fitting that I retro'ed had rubbed the 2 wires coming out of the solenoid.

If I did not find the broken wire I would have replaced the solenoid.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: P0010 Error Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:
gesoffen wrote:

gesoffen wrote:

Sorry I did not come back and post a solution after my repair. I had the same issue. There was a broken wire that I repaired and everything was back to normal. THe brass coolant fitting that I retro'ed had rubbed the 2 wires coming out of the solenoid.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: P0010 Error Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:
MrPulldown wrote:
gesoffen wrote:

gesoffen wrote:

I can't believe it took me a year to see these responses to my query,.....I just ran out and checked my wiring,....and sure enough, the coolant line "T" was resting directly on the wiring for solenoid one and the wiring was BROKEN!!!! going to evaluate tomorrow for a repair.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: P0010 Error Reply with quote

gesoffen wrote:

How did you remove the old "receptacles" and where did you source them,...looks like this is becoming a somewhat common issue on EVs.

Brian in Austin
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: P0010 Error Reply with quote

Removing the receptacles out of the connecter is a bit tricky as you need to find/depress the locking tab and then push or pull the connector out. There are specific tools to do this (easiest), generic tools that function similarly (somewhat easy), or a pair of jewelers screw drivers (most difficult).

Having replacement connectors on hand will help give you a visual on how to remove the existing connector.

Connectors are TE Connectivity, Junior Power Timer. You can get these at various electronics places or you can order a "sample" set for free from TE Connectivity.

Link to Mouser: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/1-927770-1?qs=sPtqSRBbgDiOJk52WcK5Ug%3D%3D

My recommendations:
1) Cut the wires to the connector as close as you can to the connector itself as its much easier to work on removing the terminals on a bench (vs. in the engine compartment).
2) Order plenty of extra connectors for test crimping and goofs. I'd say 10 on hand to do all 4 is a good number. Also, have the connectors on hand prior to starting to removing the old ones.
3) If you can spend the dough (~$60), get the TE Conn specific removal tool. If that is too spendy, get a generic version from Amazon or similar. https://www.amazon.com/MENKEY-Terminal-Removal-Connector-Extractor/dp/B07ZC1V2W6?th=1
4) Don't try to reuse the old connector. You essentially have to destroy it to remove the wiring.
5) Practice a few test crimps on some scrape wire. Unless you have the specific crimping tool, you will have to use a combination of generic crimping tools, pliers, etc. I have access to a suite of crimping tools so was able to do it easily.
6) Solve the problem that caused the wire chaffing.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: P0010 Error Reply with quote

Fixed it with a used junk yard connector from a 2003 Passat,.....on the driver side radiator core support,....two of them a few inches apart. No more P0010!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: