Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 578, 579, 580 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Good job!

Without the distributed installed, count yourself lucky that the distributor drive gear didn’t rise and get chewed up!

Hate to tell you this but you’ve only just begun on the Westy owners journey…….
These were just beginners hours.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robsmaze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Dave,
I know I got lucky with that distributor!! And thanks for the kind words - as you said the journey has just begun!! Got it driving and the old rusty power steering lines blew out all over the driveway (at least thats an easy fix!!) I'm also pretty confident I have a leaking rear main seal. I was hoping to not have to drop the engine, but I think more and more that might be the winter project. I just worry that once I get deep into the engine I am going to run into a road block in my levels of competence!!!

Nothing to do but order more parts and wade in I guess. luckily, if it goes to far south there is a guy a couple towns over who regularly works on vanagons, so I can always throw money at my incompetence!!!

djkeev wrote:
Good job!

Without the distributed installed, count yourself lucky that the distributor drive gear didn’t rise and get chewed up!

Hate to tell you this but you’ve only just begun on the Westy owners journey…….
These were just beginners hours.

Dave

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Robsmaze wrote:
I just worry that once I get deep into the engine I am going to run into a road block in my levels of competence!!!

Nonsense! One bite at a time.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Changed Oil and Filter- Washed and Waxed in prep for coming Winter Months-Installed a newer Automatic Shifter Handle to replace the fairly worn one my Vanagon had. It's black and not brown, but it works well and looks brand new really... Cool
Need to test the Battery this afternoon to get a baseline reading of its health since it's from Late 2018 on the install date. No issues with cranking, but it's time to see where it's at with a Load Test.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Trapped the third mouse living in my van. Got two yesterday and the third overnight. I hope that's the last of them! I picked up these stowaways while dispersed camping over the last three weeks and have listened to them scurry about and chewing on stuff. Hopefully no real damage has been done. I didn't have any way to catch them while camping, but got some traps as soon as I could when I got back to a town.

They were ninja-like for the first two days, eating the bait without triggering the trap, but I found if I loaded the traps up with peanut butter, they would squirm around trying to get it all and they finally started tripping the traps. I have no idea how they got in the van, but I'll always carry the traps for future intrusions. Little bastards!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

We had evidence of (but no sign of) mice in our new to us van. No sign of anyone hanging around, but I will still occasionally find signs that I hadn't seen before: a wire chewed on, seeds, poop, etc.

Here's a thread that specifically looks at how they enter and some ideas on preventing that:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=432326&postorder=asc
jcannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

A day ago my wife and I returned from our first week long trip of 2627 miles. We did not break down but a few irritating things reared their head and said fix me. Today I got the worst three. I made sure to do attend to them right away so they I don't find them again on the next trip.

First: I fixed a leaking tranny side seal. It left it's first stain a week before we left. Our route took us by Mr. Gas so I picked up the requisite seals, o-rings, caps, and speedy-sleeves. Having the parts is half the battle. We did not lose enough fluid to require fixing on the road. Mr. Gas is now in Canon City CO. I had not seen the new place, and I really like it.

Second: The front blower switch failed. One had to press on the knob to get the blower to blow. As soon as the finger pressure is removed, no blower. This was not an issue until we hit a surprise snowstorm on Wolf Creek pass. It required both hands on the wheel as the pass had not been plowed yet. The van is a syncro. The old 2wd Westy would never have made it. I'm about the only one who did and it looked like they closed the pass until it was plowed and the spinouts were cleared. We were totally encrusted with ice and had to keep stopping to clear the windshield. I wanted to keep the original switch and found the blower switch comes apart. A contact wiper was sticking due to wear on a little plastic shaft. A bit of patience with a file and it works! Not quite like new, but the switch works!

Third: The van has a "hard start" relay. I thought it was fixed..... The relay disagreed. Every third time we stopped, no starter. Unload the back, wiggle the wires, start the car, then reload it without shutting it off. I got to do that twice in the unexpected snowstorm. The darn thing had a fuse I hadn't noticed. The PO left it unprotected from weather.

Fourth: Since some had leaked out, I changed the tranny oil.

I add that I "Think" they are fixed. A bit of time will tell. Despite the issues, my wife wants to take a 5000 mile trip this summer.

I live in Colorado where passes and snow are part of life. I never want to go over a pass in those conditions again, syncro or not.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jcannon wrote:
A day ago my wife and I returned from our first week long trip of 2627 miles. We did not break down but a few irritating things reared their head and said fix me. Today I got the worst three. I made sure to do attend to them right away so they I don't find them again on the next trip.

First: I fixed a leaking tranny side seal. It left it's first stain a week before we left. Our route took us by Mr. Gas so I picked up the requisite seals, o-rings, caps, and speedy-sleeves. Having the parts is half the battle. We did not lose enough fluid to require fixing on the road. Mr. Gas is now in Canon City CO. I had not seen the new place, and I really like it.

Second: The front blower switch failed. One had to press on the knob to get the blower to blow. As soon as the finger pressure is removed, no blower. This was not an issue until we hit a surprise snowstorm on Wolf Creek pass. It required both hands on the wheel as the pass had not been plowed yet. The van is a syncro. The old 2wd Westy would never have made it. I'm about the only one who did and it looked like they closed the pass until it was plowed and the spinouts were cleared. We were totally encrusted with ice and had to keep stopping to clear the windshield. I wanted to keep the original switch and found the blower switch comes apart. A contact wiper was sticking due to wear on a little plastic shaft. A bit of patience with a file and it works! Not quite like new, but the switch works!

Third: The van has a "hard start" relay. I thought it was fixed..... The relay disagreed. Every third time we stopped, no starter. Unload the back, wiggle the wires, start the car, then reload it without shutting it off. I got to do that twice in the unexpected snowstorm. The darn thing had a fuse I hadn't noticed. The PO left it unprotected from weather.

Fourth: Since some had leaked out, I changed the tranny oil.

I add that I "Think" they are fixed. A bit of time will tell. Despite the issues, my wife wants to take a 5000 mile trip this summer.

I live in Colorado where passes and snow are part of life. I never want to go over a pass in those conditions again, syncro or not.
I hear you, bad Winter driving can be no fun even with a competent vehicle.
Years ago when we owned a '94 Range Rover Classic, we headed up to Wisconsin with other LR owners for an off-roading trip. Front blew in as expected, but it was the most white-knuckle winter driving I've ever been through, with SO MANY vehicle in the Median or off the road that we passed.
We dropped down to 25-30 miles an hour until we passed through the end of the storm and sunny skies greeted us again.
At a gas stop, we counted 3/4" to 1" thick ice on the fronts of our vehicles-
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

brickster wrote:
We had evidence of (but no sign of) mice in our new to us van. No sign of anyone hanging around, but I will still occasionally find signs that I hadn't seen before: a wire chewed on, seeds, poop, etc.

Here's a thread that specifically looks at how they enter and some ideas on preventing that:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=432326&postorder=asc

Thanks for the link. Since I just caught the 8th mouse last night, I should probably figure out a good plan for blocking their access over the winter to prevent this from happening again next summer, and it looks like the thread you linked has great info.

I keep thinking this will be the last mouse, but then I catch another one or two the next night. These guys were really serious about taking up vanlife and started a whole colony in my little home.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
happy2CU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

You guys need more cats in your life Laughing Laughing Laughing
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

happy2CU wrote:
You guys need more cats in your life Laughing Laughing Laughing
If the litter box didn't take up so much space, I'd seriously consider it!
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Had a chance to assess the '86 tintop front brake line leak.. If it had been JUST the short hard-line from caliper to flexible I would have dug in. But alas, noticed the bleeder on the G60 is broken off, obvious its going to be a bigger struggle than I'd hoped.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Had a chance to assess the '86 tintop front brake line leak.. If it had been JUST the short hard-line from caliper to flexible I would have dug in. But alas, noticed the bleeder on the G60 is broken off, obvious its going to be a bigger struggle than I'd hoped.

PO’s (or PO’s “mechanics”) ……. Gotta love them!

I once got a free car because the new calipers were installed on the wrong wheel and were upside down so they couldn’t be bled!
The owner was so frustrated he just said “take it” and bought a new car!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
happy2CU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

made some progress on my solar install Very Happy

Robsmaze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Well, I finally have my little blue beast running (thanks in large part to all the posters here!) and was running it around town to see what needed to be fixed next. I had just finished replacing power steering hoses and while at it used the fuel tank reseal kit from VC. But every time I stopped somewhere I kept smelling a little bit of gas.

I figured I must not have gotten one of the crossover vent plugs all the way in or had a small leak on one of the hose clamps I used during the fuel tank reseal. That wouldn’t be too big of a deal - the fuel tank was far from the engine, I could make it home no problem….

When I got home the girlfriend hopped out and said - “Woah - that’s a big leak!” Ran around to the engine and fuel was pouring out! The hose crimp (from the factory on the injector side) on my brand new Bosch fuel injectors was totally loose and gas was pouring out of it.

Luckily, that was not the end of the van - although I imagine I was one little bit of hot exhaust away from a really bad engine fire. All the fuel injectors now have the nice FI clamps on BOTH ends, not just the fuel rail side. And hopefully I wont be running around stinking like gasoline going forward…
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I've been on vanagon hiatus since the start of grad school and this new job, which coincided with a bad case of the Delta, which followed a hairline crack in the head due to PO drilling in a stupidly large exhaust stud that ended up also snapping when I was replacing the stupid no-cat EMPI dual exhaust. When the head cracked, before starting to replace it, I was directed to run a compression test and found pretty low compression in driver side front. Figured it was a wrap and we'd be swapping the engine. Wasn't too bummed because I've got a spare 1.9 with only 30k on the bottom end. Then, like I said, school/new job started, oh yeah, the clutch on my Subaru sh*t the bed, I got a bad case of covid, etc, so doing anything other than sitting in my parked van has been a no go since the end of August. Figured the engine swap could happen in December at the earliest.

Well, I had a free day and went over my buddy's house to check up on his synchro electric conversion. It's coming along nicely, I might add. This dude is siiiiiick. Talking about my van's low compression, he offered to come over and teach me a valve adjustment. Whattya know, we got damn good compression in all cylinders now. For the time, all we've gotta do is swap that head Very Happy Might be able to get it done this coming Friday/Saturday and I can take my gal camping next weekend.

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Robsmaze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Nice work! Now tell more about the electric syncro conversion!!!!

Mckinleyvillian wrote:
I've been on vanagon hiatus since the start of grad school and this new job, which coincided with a bad case of the Delta, which followed a hairline crack in the head due to PO drilling in a stupidly large exhaust stud that ended up also snapping when I was replacing the stupid no-cat EMPI dual exhaust. When the head cracked, before starting to replace it, I was directed to run a compression test and found pretty low compression in driver side front. Figured it was a wrap and we'd be swapping the engine. Wasn't too bummed because I've got a spare 1.9 with only 30k on the bottom end. Then, like I said, school/new job started, oh yeah, the clutch on my Subaru sh*t the bed, I got a bad case of covid, etc, so doing anything other than sitting in my parked van has been a no go since the end of August. Figured the engine swap could happen in December at the earliest.

Well, I had a free day and went over my buddy's house to check up on his synchro electric conversion. It's coming along nicely, I might add. This dude is siiiiiick. Talking about my van's low compression, he offered to come over and teach me a valve adjustment. Whattya know, we got damn good compression in all cylinders now. For the time, all we've gotta do is swap that head Very Happy Might be able to get it done this coming Friday/Saturday and I can take my gal camping next weekend.

Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Robsmaze wrote:
Nice work! Now tell more about the electric syncro conversion!!!!

Mckinleyvillian wrote:

thanks. and tbh, I don't know much about his process other than he's been doing vanagons for 20+ years and has been mulling the electric conversion for quite a while now. Although he's buying parts and stuff, he didn't buy a premade kit and is learning as he goes. It's inspiring as f++k. Watching and working with this dude on vanagons, in the driveway, is showing me that anything is possible if you've got the time and that paying someone the big $$ to repair a hobby vehicle is not something I want to do!

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Developed a hunting idle, figured I have a vacuum leak. Got out my smoke machine, I seem to have a little leak through my cruise control vacuum canister relief valve. I have not used my CC much.. maybe that is why it just "lets loose" when going along .. never has worked other than at about 58-59 mph.

Anyway, I need to find a decent "plug" for the AFM hole. Anyone know of a good match for a plug the size of the AFM when its taken out of the engine area?
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Drained the front diff finally after driving for 30 minutes on the freeway. Put 1.5L of Swepco 201 in just like the transmission has in it. Installed a new headlight switch as the on/off dash lights was not fun.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 578, 579, 580 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 579 of 631

Jump to: