Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zachattack1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

Hey Guys!

I'm starting a restoration on my grandpas 66 pearl white sedan. It has all matching numbers and the original and basically untouched 1300 motor. It's been sitting in a gravel backyard since the late 80's and it's an Arizona car so rust is a pretty minor concern other than a new battery tray.

I can post pictures if it will help but I was hoping to get a little advice on where to start, this is my first restoration.

I've already been researching for months, all I can think about is this car, I can't wait to share my excitement with you all! Very Happy

I also wanted to test just how active these threads are Wink
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

Yes, post pictures, good pictures. Put the in the Gallery here, then upload to this thread.

Also post pictures of the battery and generator, as your 1966 may be updated to 12 volt now.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

zachattack1966 wrote:
I also wanted to test just how active these threads are...

Lots of helpful folks here, and this forum is quite active, so post any questions you might have and I'm sure you'll get quick responses.

Also check the 'stickys' at the top of the page, and try using the 'search' feature for topics that you might need help with.

Everyone here likes photos...so post 'em if you got 'em. Here's how: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

Do show us the vehicle.....lts of help here as well.
66 nice year as the first ball joint front end.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

For starters, safety first:
- replace all fuel lines (under tank, under car, engine bay).
- check or replace soft brake lines. Ensure the system can stand maximum pressure.
- check the handbrake.
- check the battery (it can produce hydrogen gas which can ignite).
- check for any wiring faults that could short and cause a fire.

Then start checking for rust, including where you can't see easily.
Lots of folks can do good mechanical work (maybe even yourself), but few can do proper bodywork, so check that most carefully.

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

Definitely show us. I always want to see all the other 66s out there! There is a ton of information here, and people who have already walked any path you're about to go down with the car, so definitely document it here and let us follow along!
zachattack1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

Here are some of the pictures I’ve snapped of the car as it was being moved to my house. I haven’t gotten a chance to do much other than clean all the junk out of it and scrape up the old tar board. The pans look kind of dented under where the front seats should be and there’s a rust hole under the battery.

Poor girl was tapped on the passenger side years ago but I’ve secured a replacement fender.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

zachattack1966 wrote:

The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!
zachattack1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
zachattack1966 wrote:

The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!

Awesome picture right? I’ll try to get some better pictures of the engine, cleaned up floor, and the collision damage

I’m really excited to drive this car
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

Welcome, always nice to see another 66! Doing a build thread is really helpful for you, it's a great way to track your own progress as well as ask advice along the way. Post lots of pics, future you will find them very useful when you go to reassemble something to you took apart months or years ago.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

Welcome and good looking and solid starting point for you.

You will find almost every bit of info on thesamba with many super helpful members. My advise until you have a solid plan would be to be careful on what you throw out. Restoring the old part many times is better than anything you can buy new.

Have fun with it. Make a plan. Set a budget. Label everything you remove so you remember where it goes later and whatever you think your going to spend double it. Smile

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

^^^ X2!

Good advice. You'll be glad you didn't throw away stuff that you thought might be useless. At least hold onto old parts you remove until you've got your bug safe and running, then you can decide if you want to toss or even sell the old parts.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

just getting to the end of the refurbishment on my 66 pearl White and Pigalle car
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zachattack1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

just getting to the end of the refurbishment on my 66 pearl White and Pigalle car[/quote]

That’s awesome man!! And pretty much exactly what mine will end up looking like. I love the lower profile bumpers.

If you don’t mind me asking you, what kind of budget did you set for the build? Did that budget change throughout the project? I’d absolutely love to hear the story behind this car.

Last edited by zachattack1966 on Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
zachattack1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

There were lots of spare parts in the trunk along with 3 of the 4 hubcaps. I was able to find the missing sister in my grandpas shed.

I threw out anything that was rusted beyond use or fuses that were smashed up.

The rear bench is also out and under a tarp, it is the pigalle red but it has a brown cover stapled over it (that’s gonna to for sure Wink )
zachattack1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

As far as pre restoration prep goes, what kind of books and videos should I be hunting for?

For work area, I'm working in a gravel side yard under a car port that will keep the car out of the weather. I'm hoping to rig up some lights soon too so I can work out of the sun

Also if anyone here in Arizona is willing to share some of their local experience that would be greatly appreciated (shop recommendations, etc.)
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

just getting to the end of the refurbishment on my 66 pearl White and Pigalle car[/quote]

That’s awesome man!! And pretty much exactly what mine will end up looking like. I love the lower profile bumpers.

If you don’t mind me asking you, what kind of budget did you set for the build? Did that budget change throughout the project? I’d absolutely love to hear the story behind this car.[/quote]

I bought the car, an unmolested example 9 years ago. I used it intermittently until a new business and relationship breakdown meant it was stored in a damp garage and was neglected. Last April it was dragged out of storage and there is no real budget. The interior came from TMI 5 years ago, Ima body and paint man by trade so did all the metalwork and prepaint repairs myself, spurred on by the fact its going to be my wedding car in February. Ive repaired rather than replaced where I can, hand made the door bottoms and rear 1/4 bottoms only buying heater channel bottoms to repair what was there. I made a friend of a bodyshop and painter locally and he agreed to a self prep job and painted it for me in his shop for not much money, a couple of hours labour and the cost of the top coat paint...
Ive got roughly 120 hours in it over the last 6 months, just got to renew the whole braking system and its back on the road
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

Going out on a limb here and assuming this is going to be all new for you. If that is the case then research will be your best friend but i also understand that you want to get dirty too. I would suggest.

1. Understand what you want to do with it. Driver, stock, custom, etc. (Not that this will change over time)
2. Understand your budget as that will affect the above and no matter what you think you will spend you will spend more. Alot more.
3. Understand your skills and your tools today. What you do not have you can learn or borrow for the most part.

Once you have that in mind then unless your going for a full ground up resto i suggest you forget about the body and get it mechanically sound. Any car that has sat around for a while will need all systems gone through and in doing this you will learn a ton and discover all the other bad parts of your car.
(rust) You also get your hands dirty and start making progress.

- Brakes. Rebuild them all. Don't try to "go" until you know you can "stop". While in there check your axle bearings. Replace your flexible brake lines.
- Fuel. Clean it all and look for rust in your tank. Likely rebuild your carb and fuel pump. No sense trying to start the engine if your fuel is bad. Replace ALL soft fuel lines
- Electrical. Basics like battery, starter, ignition and generator/regulator.
- Engine. Read up on starting a motor after long storage so you do not break your piston rings. Oil, points, plugs, timing, etc. Check it all and see if you can get it to "go".
- Trans. Check the oil and maybe change it. Check your shifter, shifter bushings and shift coupler. Clutch & throw out bearing.
- Safety. Lights, seats glass and all that stuff.

At this point you have a driver and satisfaction plus alot of learning under your belt. Re-assess your plans from the start and figure out where to go next.

Anyways. If i were getting my son going this is what i would suggest.

As far as sources for info. Get yourself a Bently Manual. Used is totally fine. You may want to get an Idiot book (John Muir) and you will find almost everything you need on YouTube or right here on thesamba.

Good luck and will be watching.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
zachattack1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

Good luck and will be watching.[/quote]

I can't tell you how much all this useful information means to me. I know that at the moment my eyes might be a little bigger than my stomach but I'm enthusiastic nonetheless.

I'm balancing senior year of high school and baseball at the moment and in about a year I'll be moving to Flagstaff so progress will come slowly but surely.

I think this helps that I don't need to completely disassemble the whole thing and then piece it back together. Are you suggesting that you can always change things as you go or after you get them to a working condition? I.E. priority getting it moving and not prone to explode Laughing
zachattack1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

I bought the car, an unmolested example 9 years ago. I used it intermittently until a new business and relationship breakdown meant it was stored in a damp garage and was neglected. Last April it was dragged out of storage and there is no real budget. The interior came from TMI 5 years ago, Ima body and paint man by trade so did all the metalwork and prepaint repairs myself, spurred on by the fact its going to be my wedding car in February. Ive repaired rather than replaced where I can, hand made the door bottoms and rear 1/4 bottoms only buying heater channel bottoms to repair what was there. I made a friend of a bodyshop and painter locally and he agreed to a self prep job and painted it for me in his shop for not much money, a couple of hours labour and the cost of the top coat paint...
Ive got roughly 120 hours in it over the last 6 months, just got to renew the whole braking system and its back on the road[/quote]

That's cool that you were able to complete so much of it yourself, a gratifying feeling I'm sure. Best of luck with the brakes, I'll be making sure to keep up with the car if you keep posting Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: