Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

He was born female like all vessels but is now Freddie-identified.

It’s just a construct, you know.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Had a cousin Freddie. Frederika Gertrude English. She's gone now.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Freddie.

Frederick when he's being naughty, or has been splendid.

"The van" when there's people around who don't understand.

Last edited by The Pilch on Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

that story is so nice I had to read it twice.. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

We have not done much to Freddie of anything worth posting up here the last week or so. Waiting for bread, so that I can buy the shifter repair kit, and various other things.

So using stuff I have already, I started seeing what kind of nightmare the paint was going to be, and removing the vinyl stripe.

Wet sanding the paint above and below the vinyl stripe with 400grit turned it very smooth indeed, cutting through the flaky clear and the blue and leaving a good foundation to paint over.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That vinyl stripe really protected the OG paint underneath. It's amazing to think Freddie once had this quality of paint all over.

I've not decided to what extent this "paint" job will go to, but I am glad that some 400 wet sanding gives me something to work with. One step at a time.

Hope you are all well.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Today was a good day. I finished up stripping the vinyl stripe on the rear hatch. The best thing I've found is a plastic razor blade (available from amazon) and a heat gun from Lowes. Get it hot, and slice at the stripe on an angle. Don't push too hard those blades snap easy...

Then we wanted to go on an adventure. On start-up, his sticky lifter reared its ugly head again, but a good fast drive and twenty minutes of heat soon cleared that up. Me and the Mrs and her 13yr old drove to Costa Vida and enjoyed steak salads in Freddie...
Hellooooooo

Then, to Lehi skate park which was super busy, so instead we took a longer route out to Eagle Mountain and their city skate park was empty. It was super sunny, and about 65F so absolutely perfect.

Freddie performed perfectly and drove like a new vehicle. No pulling to one side, no getting too hot, brakes in a straight line, and kept up with highway traffic. A lovely day had by all.

Weirdly the mileage was on this when we pulled back into the driveway

Again, nothing particularly interesting to look at but we are so pleased to be out enjoying the vanagon.

Thanks you guys! Gary & Christina x

Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

What a beautiful property you have there. What a view! And your family look very happy. Keep up the good work on your vanagon! Your thread is a fun one to follow.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
What a beautiful property you have there. What a view! And your family look very happy. Keep up the good work on your vanagon! Your thread is a fun one to follow.

Thank you for your kind words Tom! We will!! Very Happy
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

It's been a tough time the last week or so, especially for wifey. Her dad is in the hospital with his wife for covid and she's been safely by his side the whole time. Which left me with a whole weekend to myself.

I was convinced by some friends once, that I was ok at auto body work, so with our limited and ever decreasing budget I got on with something.

The wheel well needed straightening, an some rust cut out and new stuff welded in.

The red oxide primer is excellent stuff, and once dried, some fine filler worked in, I coated it all with oil based black, and to this will come the rock-chip resistant/truck bed liner type stuff I see on so many traveling Vanagons. All the way around the van.

I'm sure the body work purists are crying into their hands right now, but I really don't care. It's our van and we will do with it, as we please. That metal is protected front and back, and will be as utilitarian as it needs to be.

Just three more corners, two sides, the back, the nose....the roof.....ughhhhhhh

ps - I'm currently looking for auto body classes, so I can get good! I really enjoy it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Looks good!

We would be shaking our heads if that was plastic you put in there,,,,,,,

Nothing but applause from Reading Pennsylvania!
You know, like Monopoly....... railroads .......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Looks good!

Dave

Thanks Dave! My home town is Reading, England!! We are now bonded by Readings! And old German vehicles. Cheers!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

The Pilch wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Looks good!

Dave

Thanks Dave! My home town is Reading, England!! We are now bonded by Readings! And old German vehicles. Cheers!

And that old town is why the Penn family named the Settlement Reading.
Then Daniel Boones family and Abraham Lincolns family moved into my exact town and named it Exeter after their home they left behind.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
The Pilch wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Looks good!

Dave

And that old town is why the Penn family named the Settlement Reading.
Then Daniel Boones family and Abraham Lincolns family moved into my exact town and named it Exeter after their home they left behind.

Dave

The things one learns on The Samba! Thanks Dave! Been to Exeter one time, have fond memories.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

I thought I'd try some Truck Bed Liner paint from Duplicolor, as it was half price at O'Rielly's. Remember, this is a budget Vanagon!

I really like how it went on. It seems to have bonded well to the oil based black that I sprayed on here before - that was the idea.

I spent another few hours while wifey is at the hospital, welding filling and prepping as much as I can bear to do after a day at work. It's cold here in Utah now, it's time to get the afterburner out to warm the garage up, so I'm preparing for the shock of how much a large propane bottle costs.

Hope you are all safe and well.

G & C x
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Airborne solvents and paints don’t mix well with open flames. I extinguish my pilot before any painting. Something to keep in mind.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Looking really good.

This brings up a point I have been thinking about for 30 plus years. Note in the first photo how the affected area includes the dreaded "seam zone" we have trouble with. In the second he has cut out the bad metal and ultimately welded in new.
The Pilch wrote:

So my question is, where we have bad seams, why can't we just cut back an appropriate amount on either side of the seam and weld in a new piece such that there is no longer any seam to fail? I realize that unlike this particular section there is often a structural part behind like in the B and C pillars, but that could be delt with in a slightly different manner.

I once had a heavily modified 181 and I filled all the seams with epoxy as I didn't like the look. Of, course that didn't do anything to stop the rest which could have happened from behind, but it did keep road grime out of the outer grooves.

Duncan
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
Airborne solvents and paints don’t mix well with open flames. I extinguish my pilot before any painting. Something to keep in mind.

Oh for sure! Excellent advice! Thank you!
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Looking really good.

This brings up a point I have been thinking about for 30 plus years. Note in the first photo how the affected area includes the dreaded "seam zone" we have trouble with. In the second he has cut out the bad metal and ultimately welded in new.

So my question is, where we have bad seams, why can't we just cut back an appropriate amount on either side of the seam and weld in a new piece such that there is no longer any seam to fail? I realize that unlike this particular section there is often a structural part behind like in the B and C pillars, but that could be dealt with in a slightly different manner.

I once had a heavily modified 181 and I filled all the seams with epoxy as I didn't like the look. Of, course that didn't do anything to stop the rest which could have happened from behind, but it did keep road grime out of the outer grooves.

Duncan

I agree about seams looking unsightly. While I was cutting this piece out, Duncan, I was thinking about that seam right there. I actually made a piece with a 90 along the length of it, that with a little jiggery-pokery, meant I could keep the seam. But then I thought, like you mention, what the heck for? Continuation I suppose. But the amount of fab time compared to the result didn't really add up for me so I just butt welded a patch in and called it good. I rust treated both sides and wanted to see what it looked like with all the bed liner paint over it - turns out not that good, and I wish I'd have done what you did on your 181 and smoothed it out with filler. My saving grace is that most of that repair will be covered by the bumper corner caps.
The Pilch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

Moving along the length of the van. I have rust treated, primed, filled, primed again, added oil based black and truck bed liner paint to this side, and along the lower rear.

I am wondering what to do with the nose section.

For once, I have no dent damage (every dang Volkswagen I've had, came with a crunch, or a knock in the most annoying place on the nose)

I do, however, have about fourteen million small rock chips spread all over the nose. The best I can think of, is to fill the chips, and paint the nose the eventual body color, and then add some clearbra which I can get from work. Maybe that will keep the rock chips at bay.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Our '85 fix-up-and-enjoy Vanagon Reply with quote

I'm no body man, but plan to fill my nose road rash paint acne with Nitro Stan.

https://www.azautobodysupply.com/nistspandglp1.html

A tip I just taught myself. Do not throw out the junk mail letters that say you are pre approved for this insurance/credit card etc. which come with a dummy card. Save them for spreading body putty or Nitro Stan.

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: