Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru swap idle
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IkeD6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Subaru swap idle Reply with quote

Have a problem with my 76 Bay 2.2L Subaru swap engine if anyone is experts on that here...

I replaced my air filter a few days ago and went to start the bus back up and it would die anytime I took my foot off the gas, it would not idle. Not sure if I messed up any sensors or anything. I took the air filter off and put the old one back on and same problem. I double checked to make sure I did not knock off any hoses or anything well doing this and everything was still in place.

Just replaced fuel filter today and still having same problem.

Any tips or potentially fixes for this would be appreciated!

Thanks Smile
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap idle Reply with quote

DETAILED photos of the engine please, especially the fresh air pipe from the filter to throttle body

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
IkeD6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap idle Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Some pics I just took if this helps at all
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap idle Reply with quote

holy fuckin wiring.

was this the diagram used?

nothing kills a MAF faster than a cone filter that has been over oiled. that said, it looks like the green(?) wire off the MAF plug is broken, or about broken an inch or so from the plug

nothing personal but from the wiring and connections i see there is a fantastic chance you bumped something and it isn't happy.

what year 2.2? any chance of getting any codes?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
IkeD6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap idle Reply with quote

LOL I have a feeling could be something with wiring maybe, just recently purchased the bus and its going to need some work for sure on wiring... the computer does not look pretty either.

The year is 1997, Subaru Outback. Not too sure how long ago the conversion was done
IkeD6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap idle Reply with quote

I read up also about the oiled air filters... I put the old one back on and still didnt work, if the oil killed the MAF then what? Also read to clean the oil out and let it air dry
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap idle Reply with quote

oiled air filters kill MAF's slowly. it's not instant so i'd rule that out.

i'd be willing to bet you touched that mess in it's no-no place and something isn't right.

you can try to unplug the MAF and see what that gets you. 97 (at least in the USA) would be a (rudimentary) early version of obd2

do you have a data connector in that mess somewhere? if so, check codes before going any further

if unplugging the MAF lets it idle chances are it's bad, but you should take some readings. that said if it is bad DO NOT use an aftermarket one good used or dealer only. expect to pay 200+ for a new one.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
IkeD6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap idle Reply with quote

I unplugged the MAF a couple days ago and it would turn over but not start up, with it plugged in starts up but won't idle so I feel it would not be that. I was given a whole book who I bought the bus off of with a wiring diagram (Obviously does not look like the diagram anymore) I'll have to look through the wiring and see if anything got disconnected and well doing that try to clean it up a lot.

I believe the data connector is in there somewhere and I will take a look when I get back there
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap idle Reply with quote

i would check codes before moving on.

check the pressure source solenoid and MAP sensor wiring and vacuum hose.

that's the dingus on your wheel well

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap idle Reply with quote

As Don indicated pull codes.

I also see a slight smudge mark (or clean mark) on the IAC. Perhaps you forced that out of alignment or pulled a wire out when you were man handling the air intake hose of the TB.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap idle Reply with quote

Convoy wrote:
As Don indicated pull codes.

I also see a slight smudge mark (or clean mark) on the IAC. Perhaps you forced that out of alignment or pulled a wire out when you were man handling the air intake hose of the TB.

good point.

also, the IAC has about a 3/4" hose that should plug into that intake pipe somehow. is that connected?

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
IkeD6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap idle Reply with quote

You guys got it!!! I guess I did not see every hose.... happens sometimes. Hose going from IAC to looks like the MAF was disconnected, came out I am sure replacing filter... But all good now and running nicely again

Sorry to hurt your eyes with wires... Will definitely be next job...

Thanks again guys Smile

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru swap idle Reply with quote

yea, that will do it.

basically you had a shit ton of unmetered air entering.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: